original 5.0 killer?

sayaovang dsm

I still remember the first time I seen and rode in a quest, I was fifteen and was hooked. It's was the only car I even thought about. Took me four more years to land my own and haven't been without one since, even during hard times not a dollar to my name and offers that I considered to high I've kept her. The original mustang killer...

The Quest did'nt actually kill the 5.0 back in the day.......I ran my brand new one against everything out there then so I pretty much know which late 80's early 90's cars could hang. I could get the 5.0 all day long off a light and if I coaxed them into my "sweet spot" on the highway I could pull on them but eventually the LX would cruise past me at the 110-115 mark. I took out the 300Z, Z28, 280Z, RX7,Corrado G60, GTI,MK 2 Supra and a few others, I "jumped" a 93 Vette at 65 in third and pulled him for a while but eventually the big block came in and he cruised past but all in all a stock Quest gained a lot of respect for sure. I traded up to a 89 Supercoupe which would pull on a quest all day for a big car.....I loved that Ford....ahh, the old days.

I used to beat the brakes off my buddies supercoupe all day long, and have beat stock 5.0's. Are we talking 1/4 mi or 1/2 mi.? In the quarter mi you should be beating the crap out of a stock 5.0 or supercoupe with a stock quest. 1/2 mi is a different story. Nothing a little boost won't take care of though and then you'll beat the pants off them there to. I've driven both 5.0's and supercoupes and there not any faster than a starquest. But they have an advantage after about 100 mph. Quarter mi is over before that in a stock car.

Cant say I disagree with ya but this was all on the street and coming off a light the better driver usually got the jump.......my SC (5 speed) always got the Quest maybe because I was used to getting off the line quick. Another popular car that I used to run into all the time was the Monte SS which was easy meat.......I actually thought about tradin my quest for a brand new 1990 300ZX (non turbo, couldnt afford the TT) and I test drove one.......god it was a real dog, my quest would have slaughtered it. The salesman actually thought it was quick and turned down my challenge of a hiway run against mine...heheh.....needless to say I kept it until the SC came along...

I owned a 88 mustang Stock (new mufflers,K&N) I was able to get 14.2 1/4mile. Bolt-ons and gears got to 13.6. then new heads 13.2 on the same street tires all times. Stock for stock I think the 5.0 is faster with a good driver was hard to launch it good. The quest would handle much better and brake better.

I agree......most 5.0 Stangs I ran off a light either spun out or bogged but when they actually hooked they started pullin quick.....I always like the LX hatch better......I remember takin on a 93 Fox Cobra on a hiway run with the SC......pegged the speedo at 6 oclock on the clock on that run....

quest has a nice amount of tq over some other imports in the 80s but i dont see it beating a lx or a notch mustang factory/factory. i own a 87 quest and a 94 gt. this gt will run circles around my quest until i up the boost a good bit. and my 94 is heavier than the 80 models.

One of my boys has a 80's 5.0 mustang with exhaust,cam,and chipped ecu. He said he ran a 13.5 in the 1/4 it's an automatic too. It's kinda hard to believe cause he can't keep up with me in the quest.

if its an 87-93 5.0, with exhaust, cam, and a "chipped ECU" wont run 13.5. Even less on a 79-86 5.0.

Lets start that no reputable company such as diablo, superchips, etc dont make chips or tuners for those 5.0's. Those ECU's aren't really meant for that. Its very basic. Mustang tuners/chips started on the 4.6's. The only chips I see are to "improve gas mileage and HP" by hooking it up to your mass air flow sensor, which just makes you waste more gas because it tricks the ECU into a closed loop cycle. I opened up one (after spending $15 on ebay and noticing no improvement) and to my surprise, it's literally 2 wires connected to each other with some epoxy over it.

Those 5.0's run about 14.4-14.5 stock. A cam, with no bigger TB, MAF, intake, injectors, or upgrade for that matter aside a fake chip and an exhaust system, you'll be either choking the motor because its too big of cam and your lovely chip is chugging even more gas, or on the flip side, the cam isnt so big and not making the power to propel the car into the 13.5's. There's just too many faults to believe that hit 13.5. You should tell him what im saying and see what he says. hehe

He most likely hit 13.9-14.2 (just an optimistic guess)

Sorry, cant stand people who THINK they know about 5.0's :mad:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080722120329AA9wfWJ <---same style chip, different car.

if its an 87-93 5.0, with exhaust, cam, and a "chipped ECU" wont run 13.5. Even less on a 79-86 5.0.

Lets start that no reputable company such as diablo, superchips, etc dont make chips or tuners for those 5.0's. Those ECU's aren't really meant for that. Its very basic. Mustang tuners/chips started on the 4.6's. The only chips I see are to "improve gas mileage and HP" by hooking it up to your mass air flow sensor, which just makes you waste more gas because it tricks the ECU into a closed loop cycle. I opened up one (after spending $15 on ebay and noticing no improvement) and to my surprise, it's literally 2 wires connected to each other with some epoxy over it.

Those 5.0's run about 14.4-14.5 stock. A cam, with no bigger TB, MAF, intake, injectors, or upgrade for that matter aside a fake chip and an exhaust system, you'll be either choking the motor because its too big of cam and your lovely chip is chugging even more gas, or on the flip side, the cam isnt so big and not making the power to propel the car into the 13.5's. There's just too many faults to believe that hit 13.5. You should tell him what im saying and see what he says. hehe

He most likely hit 13.9-14.2 (just an optimistic guess)

Sorry, cant stand people who THINK they know about 5.0's :mad:

http://answers.yahoo...22120329AA9wfWJ <---same style chip, different car.

LOL yeah he kinda threw me when he said he ran a 13.5.

the kid who started this thread i know. His dads car got me into these things like crazy. it's funny we were just talking about the MUSTANG killer this past weekend. But as soon as i saw his dads black conquest in his garage, all dusty and must have been sitting for 10 years. I was still instantly hooked. My first thought was "if someone saw this, they would freak by how intimidating it looked" The tinted windows helped. Almost bought his, but found my own and let them keep their family possesion.

haha thnx bud and yes we need to go crusing this summer, i gotta pick up another dsm but definately ill have the sq and yea the car does look intimidating as heck all dusty and stuff lol

Ya we do man. When is your dad gonna pass that thing on to you?

when i get a permanent job and not tempory job lol, plus i live in milwaukee now too, i wanna fix the rust spots and i need a new rear axel but other than that the car still running good u kno? and yes we will definately be crusing this summer, whether i have the sq or a dsm lol when u getting ur beast running again?

I should be getting it back on the road here in the next couple weeks. Still have to modify a few things. but you need new rear end bushings as well. I remember the rear end trying to walk on itself. But remember i have parts man. As of now. Even a whole rear end and cradle haha. But yea those frame rails have gotta get fixed! same with the suspension.

I should be getting it back on the road here in the next couple weeks. Still have to modify a few things. but you need new rear end bushings as well. I remember the rear end trying to walk on itself. But remember i have parts man. As of now. Even a whole rear end and cradle haha. But yea those frame rails have gotta get fixed! same with the suspension.

better hook me up wth some deals haha

• 1 month later...