Another Fiberglass part feeler post? Why not!

Burton

Yep, that's the style I'm gonna make. Here's another pic of the one on my wife's car...

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10087/4-25-09_004.jpg

Of the 3 or 4 different styles of mods I've done on header panels, the one on Kate's Conquest seems to have the most interest, so it will be first. If that does good, then I'll get the one on my Starion replicated next. If that does well, then I'll consider creating another style.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds good Burton, I'm glad things seem to be getting a little cheaper and easier for you to do your thing. The small parts like the replacement B pillar vents and front end stuff should do well.

I do think you've opened up a can of worms here but I hope you can make headway on it. These guys like KT are here to snipe you, don't bother writing a long response they will never read, dude. He can call Team Sakura and ask them where they get their FG Starion front clips from. People who might buy, know who you are and what you've made in the past.

Edited by Fuze

But your saying these wont even be available for another year at a minimum right

I'm saying some of the stuff might not be available for a year or so, but I hope to have hoods, the header panel, upper hatch spoiler and maybe a few small things around summer sometime. Then hopefully have an extended spoiler and some other small pieces ready for market about a year from now. After that, I'll start looking into doing more styles of hoods, and some other parts with lesser interest.

I'm just trying to see where the interest is so I don't waste my time with stuff not many people want. I will not be taking orders or any money from anyone until I have the parts here and ready to sell.

Thanks everyone for the input.

burton

thanks for all you do to help us out. i still want the hood with the t/a vents and the header panel for my wifes quest. the pf12 meet is the 4th of july any chance of getting them before then to get them painted . thanks john

I hope I have them by then, but it will all depend on when my old boss has shipping containers going there and coming back. I won't have to pay any shipping if the stuff goes as filler in containers he has going anyway. If I had to ship a container myself, I wouldn't be able to fill it up, and it's $7k each way. If he doesn't have a container coming back until the end of July, I can't make that deadline. I can try and work it out with him so we get them back ASAP, but being as how he's nice enough to not make me chip in on the shipping container, I'm not going to push him too much.

I wish this stuff could happen sooner too, but this is about the only way I can do this and still be able to offer parts at a price point that people will buy more than just a couple units. The money in it for me to do it myself here in the good ol' USA was just not there. If I made a good wage, it was too expensive for many to buy. For me, I either had to find a way to outsource it cheaper, or not offer anything at all.

I know this will take a while, but it's either wait a while for some good parts at a good price, or not have any parts at all, at any time.

I'm excited that you will be making the rear spoilers! I will most likely want a set.

I agree with the antenna delete but I would like to keep my rear wiper. Is possible to have two variations, one with wiper delete and one without?

Why wouldn't the OEM brake light work or why would it need to be LED?

Is it possible to make A-Pillar gauge mount be a single unit, not just an attachment to the pillar cover itself. Can one variation be made that will work with both manual and automatic seat belts?

Dash gauge pods mounts, how would these look, how many gauges will they hold and may I suggest integrating them to the cluster gauge hood

Any chance to make a once piece header panel and grill? I think this would be the way to go. The header panel has some complex grill mounting points, if you make it one piece you eliminate all of that and make a smoother design. Grills in good shape are getting harder to come by.

I would say I'll be down for the rear spoilers with the antenna delete at least.

Any sketches of what the final products will look like?

Two other suggestions I would like to add. I know you said not to bother with things that are not listed but have you considered making a light weight OEM style front bracket for the license plate?

Another item I was thinking off, that privacy cover. I have yet to see one that doesn't have a crack or is sagging. I'm not even sure if its supposed to have a curve like that. Would it be possible to make two molds for them, no need for the hinges. Those can be resused and it can easily be wrapped in some cloth material. Having it be made out of fiber glass also makes it easier to cut holes and install some speakers there.

Edited by Killtodie

• 2 weeks later...

Burton,

I hope this venture will work out.. glad to see the interest...I'd be down for an upper hatch spoiler and possibly a header panel...I'd like to see your spoiler design...keep up the good work...

• 3 weeks later...

OK, everyone, I made a little progress on this. He's actually sending a container over at the end of this month, so I will be sending over the cowl hood mold, and some of my other molds for other car parts over to get parts made, and then I'm going to be sending Kate's header panel and my upper hatch spoiler piece to be molded and parts made, as well as some parts for other cars. I would suspect I'll be able to have the parts coming back over here in March or April sometime. I'm also gonna be sending a bunch of hood stuff over, so we can look into doing another style of hood mold. They may end up re-making the hood molds I already have too, so that we can ensure part quality, and possibly come up with some ways to have multiple hood options. Then we could have cowl hoods, 83 hoods, and another custom hood design- Each with options for how you want them to look.

The extended spoilers will have to wait until down the road for now. I can't easily send the back half of a SQ for them to make plugs on the spoiler pieces, so the plugs will have to be made here with the OEM parts on a car so that everything lines up good. Once the spoiler looks how I want it, then I can take the modded spoiler pieces off and send them over for molds to be made from them, and then I can offer them. Right now, with my shop going up, the cold weather, and my wife being pregnant, I will not have the chance to make the plugs before the end of the month, so those will probably have to wait tilthe next batch of parts go over there, probably around late spring, early summer.

• 2 weeks later...

I WANT! I just want to see how it mounts and how it will look. Have any samples or previous ones you have done??

I do not. I have the idea in my head of how I wan't it to look, it's just a matter of gettin er done.

The shipping container is getting filled a week from tomorrow. I'm going to try and have everything to him friday, but I just started on the upper hatch spoiler, so there's a chance I'll be finishing it up next weekend and taking it there monday. teaser pic....

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10126/100_2086.JPG

So, aside from this, the cowl hood and 83 hood molds will go. The header panels from both mine and Kate's car, as well as a mint OEM header panel will be going too. I'm also gonna send a A pillar gauge pod, and some B pillar vents. Not sure what will come out of the B pillar vents, but I'm thinking I'll have them make something simpler and cleaner than OEM for one style, then have another style that's very aggressive, maybe a forward facing scoop. They may also play around with a 3rd style of hood too. From there, we'll see what happens. Next up will be the extended rear spoilers, some interior pieces and other things there might be a market for. I'm not exactly sure how the rear spoiler will go down. My old boss is interested in getting a Starion over there to use to test fit parts and do R&D. I don't think there are too many over there, so I'm either gonna sign one of mine over to him to take over, or he's gonna try to find one local to buy for cheap and send it over. If we work something like that out pretty soon, then I'll probably just have those guys make the plugs for it off the spoiler of the R&D car. If we don't come up with a car to have over there soon, then I'll just start modding an OEM spoiler on a car here, and when they're done, send the spoiler pieces over to be used as plugs.

Turns out, he also has a connection for exhaust systems too. He showed me some super high dollar, name brand, US made system he bought for his Corvette, that had been on the car for about a year, it was all tarnished and showed signs of surface rust in certain areas. He then showed me a system his connection made for his Camaro that had been on the car for about a year, and it looked sooooo much nicer. Both got similar usage, and both were SS. I'm sending some hard pipes to see what they can do, and I thought I had a full OEM exhaust system to send, but I can't find it. I'm going to keep looking, and maybe pull one off another car if I can't find it, but I think that would be one of those things that they would really need to have a car there for test fitting. If we have to send stuff back and forth at months at a time to tweak the pieces for R&D, it could take a while before we got a 100% quality part.

Anyway, more to come on this spoiler within the next week. Once the stuff gets loaded, it will probably be about a month before it all gets over there and I start hearing much about what they're gonna have done when. Stay tuned.

Ill be waiting on the gauge pod :) Reaaallllyyyyy want that.

PS. Can you make something of this sort? I dont mind paying for it, but these people are a bit overpriced at $160. I was hoping for maybe $30 for something of the sort. Let me know.

http://www.wrxevolution.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=24533

Ill be waiting on the gauge pod :) Reaaallllyyyyy want that.

PS. Can you make something of this sort? I dont mind paying for it, but these people are a bit overpriced at $160. I was hoping for maybe $30 for something of the sort. Let me know.

http://www.wrxevolut...idProduct=24533

If there were a bunch of people who wanted something like that then maybe I could make a mold to make a few, but if I were to build a one-off piece like that, it would probably be more than $160. The cost is in making the first part, and making the mold off that first part. After that, it's pretty cheap to make parts off the mold. You only bother making a mold if you can sell lots of those parts. If there is interest, in something like this, I'll look into it, but that wiould be going to the bottom of the list, so it would be a while before I could get to it.

I know a bunch of people have talked about wanting a header panel like the one I made for BC, and the one on my wife's car, but I need to know how you feel about the header panel on my car...

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10087/12-05-10_035.jpg

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10087/6-22-09_004.jpg

Anybody gonna want one like that? If you do, you better speak up now, or they may not get made.

I can send this part over and have it copied, but making the mold from it will likely ruin the paint, and possibly the whole part.

Since the paint was custom mixed by myself and the only color like it in the world, I can't just repaint a new part and slap it on the car, because it will never match.

I don't mind slapping a flat black header panel on on my car or even repaint the whole car if I have to, but I only want to do it if I will sell parts. If that header panel got ruined making a mold, and then nobody bought any of that style, I'd be sad.

Let me know if you're interested in that style or not. If I don't see more than 3-4 people with serious interest by sunday, then I will not be reproducing that style header panel....at least not now.

The container is getting packaged monday and will be on it's way tuesday. The stuff going now will probably have parts available for sale by late spring.

Edited by Burton

• 1 month later...

Burton, you never responded to my post :/

because you asked a gazzillion questions, and frankly, I didn't want to waste my time explaining whay and what about everything.

As far as the different brake lights and variations and such, using LED's VS OEM swap is a money saving thing. I can just make non brake light spoilers, then if someone wants it with a brake light then I will add one in after the fact. Installing a generic LED type light will be easier than making it so an OEM light will fit. I want to make as few molds as possible since there will never be a high production number of any part in the SQ community. I could make a spoiler mold with the wiper and one without, and both without brake lights. if I want to add the brake lights, I can either make 2 more molds, or figure out a way to add a brake light to the non brake light part. Can you guess which one costs more, and in the end drives up all the prices to help cover R&D? The higher the price, the less stuff sells in the community.

As far as the other parts like gauge pods and such, I don't have any drawings or prototypes, but I won't be re-inventing the wheel. I'll make parts similar to what's already on the market, just hopefully a little bit cheaper. For parts that aren't on the market and will be my own creation, then those will be what they are when they're done. I have the ideas in my head, and after a protype of each is made they will be posted here. Some will be open to possible changes, and some will not.

the extended hatch spoiler prototype hasn't even been started. Maybe you're thinking about the upper hatch spoiler?

That never made the container, because I couldn't finish it in time, but I am wrapping it up and will be sending it over there by regular shipping.

Otherwise, the hood molds went as well as the header panels and a set of B-pillar trim for them to make something new and cool out of. Hoping to have some rough ideas on prices soon.