Rebuild CV axles?

Lance_S

You can reboot them and regrease them but you cannot rebuild them. Chances are good that cv's from another car will be in similar or worse condition, ive been down that road already, what someone told me was good parts was worse than what I already had.

There is a place in FL that can actually rebuild them at about $150 a side. I dont have the information in front of me so I will have to do some research to figure it out. Otherwise, pm chiplee and ask him directly who rebuilt his.

Well, I have one that is bent. I put the car up on jacks and ran it to try and find a grinding noise in my rear end. When i got out to check to see if I could find the noise I saw my left rear was bent so I need to at the very least replace one. I think the grinding noise may be coming from the CV joints, I am just not sure. It could be the torque tube bearings or the input bearing in the diff. It's darn near impossible to tell unfortunately.

Here is a vendor that I have used twice to replace my CV joints/axles during the 410K miles I've put on my Old Broad. The first set lasted about 180K miles and I have about 85K miles on the last set with no problems. They are one of the main CV/axle and rack & pinion rebuilders in the SE US. They are local to me so I have been in their shop. It is a state of the art, clean facility, that uses quality parts and they have an excellent reputation.

CV Source

3027 Summer Oak Place

Buford, GA 30518-0401

800-955-AXLE or 678-889-4118

Ask for Sherry Roberts

For What It's Worth

KEN

Edit - Excluding the core charge, I think that each replacement cost about $185 per cv/axle assembly.

The DOJ CV Joint can be disassembled and rebuilt. Professor Quest has a excellent write up on Trances site in the SOS Manual. How do I know this?? I have done it following his instructions in the SOS Manual with success. A bent Axle Shaft??? All bets are off as far as rebuilding it. Buy a used Axle Shaft complete with the Birfield and DOJ Joints attached. Then rebuild the DOJ and re-grease the Birfield joint. I'm sure if you post in the Parts Wanted Forum here, Someone will sell you one. Here is what it cost me to rebuild my DOJ: A replacement Outer CV boot, $10.00..That is it. The rest of doing the rebuild requires a couple hours of your time, some tools, Hot Soapy water and a stiff brush. P.S. Most outer CV replacement boot kits come with the Boot bands and grease to re-install it. I used the EMPI CV Boot (part no. 86-1115D).The inner joint (Birfield) seems to hold up. But if it fails, (cannot be disassembled and rebuilt) I would take the Axle Shaft to a rebuilder to refurbish it. The DOJ joint, you can do yourself, only if the ball bearings, DOJ cage and DOJ inner/outer races aren't TOAST. Running them dry for too long (little or no grease) will result in needing a new complete DOJ assembly.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

Thanks Cal,

Yeah. The bent one is getting replaced. I put in ad in the wanted and already got a response. I will most likely pull the trigger and take a look at them before swapping them out. Regrease, reboot, reband and reinstall. I am pretty sure that is what is causing the wearing or grinding noise in my rear. I am concerned that the bent one has worn the bearing in the diff tho. I got the car used so i don't know how long it's been bent. But I have put about 8k miles on it since I owned it and it made noise when I got it. So I am wondering if the axle being out of round as screwed the seal and the bearing in the diff. The seal is easy to replace but the bearing looks like I would have to break the whole diff down. If that's the case, it would be easier to just but a different one and swap it out.

Starfighterpilot,

Thanks for the number. I will give them a call if I go that route. It's expensive so I hope to pick up a set of decent usable axles and swap them out but I know we are all working with 25 year old equipment at this point. If I am not fortunate enough to find a suitable replacement I will give those guys a call.

Thanks,

L

• 4 weeks later...

i never posted on there lol, but you are required an account to access anything

They banned me with 836 posts??? Maybe it was the last 6 of my posts that they didn't like, telling them what I thought about their rules and how they applied them to some members, But not to EVERY member.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

• 1 year later...
John what do they charge? CVSource just got back to me and they said $105 each is to remanufacture the entire axle shaft, replacing any worn parts as needed. Sounds like a pretty good deal. They have 26 years of experience.