Big vs Little Turbo and other dyno runs

chrisviper

Just finished up (sort of) and dyno'd my friend Marks car so he could make it to the Mesquite meet last weekend. Quick build list:

Stock , very worn out cylinder head with a mushroomed #3 exhaust valve.

Stock mechanical cam, also worn out.

Custom individual throttle body intake , using TWM DCOE throttle bodies.

SMB header.

40MM Turbosmart wastegate.

Comp Turbo CT4-6265.

AEM Series 2 6050 "Honda box"

Mighty Max distributor with AEM 24-1 trigger disk .

The comparison dyno graph 'small 16g vs big turbo at 10.5 psi wm' had the same setup except with a stock intercooler , stock exhaust manifold and a small 16g turbo. When I was dynoing the car Friday night, I mistakenly thought that the power similar at the lower boost levels, but looking at the dyno graphs again today, at 5200 rpm there is a gain of 30 hp with the Comp turbo at the same boost level. Also, the ecu mapping between these two runs is the same.

small 16g vs big turbo at 10.5 psi

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc103/vprtech/Marks%20Starion/small16gvsbigturboat105psiwm.jpg

17 PSI

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc103/vprtech/Marks%20Starion/17PSIboostbigturbowm.jpg

17 PSI vs 20.5 PSI with break up at higher boost

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc103/vprtech/Marks%20Starion/17PSIvs205withpowerdropoffboostbigturbowm.jpg

I'm not sure what the break up was, it's intermittent, I did not try to run the car at 20+ psi after that run on the dyno, on the street, we ran over 20 psi several times on our way to Vegas and it misfired about half the time. Either way, the cylinder head is toast, so considering it may be a mechanical problem, we won't run the car hard until we get the new ported head and big cam in it.

In case it's not clear on the graphs,

Blue = Torque

Green = HP

Yellow = Boost PSI

Purple = Fuel PSI

First graph , dotted line is the small 16G , solid is the Comp turbo.

Just finished up (sort of) and dyno'd my friend Marks car so he could make it to the Mesquite meet last weekend. Quick build list:

Stock , very worn out cylinder head with a mushroomed #3 exhaust valve.

Stock mechanical cam, also worn out.

Custom individual throttle body intake , using TWM DCOE throttle bodies.

SMB header.

40MM Turbosmart wastegate.

Comp Turbo CT4-6265.

AEM Series 2 6050 "Honda box"

Mighty Max distributor with AEM 24-1 trigger disk .

what year is his car that is had a stock mech valvetrain? Why you would dyno a car with a worn out, mushroom headed valve, along with a worn out mech cam? not trying to sound like a d-bag, just curious.

Did you check the smb header for cracks before and after?

any underhood pic's?

Keep up the good work.

what year is his car that is had a stock mech valvetrain? Why you would dyno a car with a worn out, mushroom headed valve, along with a worn out mech cam? not trying to sound like a d-bag, just curious.

Did you check the smb header for cracks before and after?

any underhood pic's?

Keep up the good work.

I'm not sure what year the head is, but it has the mechanical rockers and shafts in it. I see your point, but keep in mind this is a work in progress, then engine has acceptable compression, and we thought it would be interesting to dyno it as we go, you know , for fun and as a learning experience. I work at the shop, so the dyno time is free, not everyone has that luxury, so I thought some people might be interested to see the data. All that aside, we wanted to make it to the Mesquite meet, last weekend.

I'm not sure what year the head is, but it has the mechanical rockers and shafts in it. I see your point, but keep in mind this is a work in progress, then engine has acceptable compression, and we thought it would be interesting to dyno it as we go, you know , for fun and as a learning experience. I work at the shop, so the dyno time is free, not everyone has that luxury, so I thought some people might be interested to see the data. All that aside, we wanted to make it to the Mesquite meet, last weekend.

Nice! I look forward to seeing more :)

I'm not sure what the break up was, it's intermittent, I did not try to run the car at 20+ psi after that run on the dyno, on the street, we ran over 20 psi several times on our way to Vegas and it misfired about half the time. Either way, the cylinder head is toast, so considering it may be a mechanical problem, we won't run the car hard until we get the new ported head and big cam in it.

In case it's not clear on the graphs,

Blue = Torque

Green = HP

Yellow = Boost PSI

Purple = Fuel PSI

First graph , dotted line is the small 16G , solid is the Comp turbo.

on the first graph, what is the faint blue graph that's reading 250hp at like 2500 rpm?

The blue line is torque.

Looks like it was done right. I am curious as to the details of the TWM DCOE throttle bodies

We think it is an old Top End Performance setup, the car it came off of had a TEC2 on it with the 60-2 trigger actually installed inside the stock distributor housing, pretty funky. The DCOE adapter plate to the cylinder head looks like a modified G52 part, there were some small modifications to it to make it work on the G54 head.

Those triplex ballbearings and ar cooled chra's sound very nice. Never looked into CT before.

I have a dynograph but dont know if it will fit here. Its 2 different cars but same dyno, same day, similar setup. But the power curve similarity is a bit upsetting.

Car 1..............................Car 2

Wiseco 8:1.....................Wiseco 8:1

Magna............................Hurricane

MS..................................MS

284H..............................Screaming Banshee

Stock X Man...................Ramhorn Tubular

Evo 16G @ 25psi...........T4 PT67 @ 27psi

100shot

post-5148-0-53720600-1318514394_thumb.jpg

Edited by phinko

Let me make sure I got this right, CT4-6265 Full frame T4 62mm Comp Inducer 65mm Turbine Exducer? So is this like Comp Turbo's copy of the PTE 6265?

That turbo comes in a variety of different exhaust configurations , it has a .63 A/R on the turbine housing, 3" V band for the down pipe , and a T3 flange.

I actually really appreciate your info on dynoing an "older" motor and a "smaller" turbo. It gives a more realistic look at what (minus the manifolds) most people can expect for hp, tq, etc. I have seen quite a few really nice builds on here that have been dynoed, but for a person like me that lives in a town of 900 people and a ways away from the nearest dyno or track, a small 16g and an older engine would be about right for a typical/common set-up :) . Keep up the good work and please keep up the info.

Not sure if it'll end up being apples to oranges, but everyone over at focaljet who tried a comp turbo were very dissatisfied...For a comparable garrett turbo it always outperformed and for less money to boot (sometimes).

• 3 weeks later...

Those triplex ballbearings and ar cooled chra's sound very nice. Never looked into CT before.

I have a dynograph but dont know if it will fit here. Its 2 different cars but same dyno, same day, similar setup. But the power curve similarity is a bit upsetting.

Car 1..............................Car 2

Wiseco 8:1.....................Wiseco 8:1

Magna............................Hurricane

MS..................................MS

284H..............................Screaming Banshee

Stock X Man...................Ramhorn Tubular

Evo 16G @ 25psi...........T4 PT67 @ 27psi

100shot

post-5148-0-53720600-1318514394_thumb.jpg

Maybe I am not seeing it, but which color line is which car?