QuestFan

Show me where this header is touted" indestructable" ? living near Chris here in Las vegas i know the guy very well and have seen first hand the effort this very pleasent and talented young man has put into this header project , now i know for a fact there are S.M.B headers out there , ceramic coated and doing the job they were designed for very well , i have had zero issues with my ceramic coated early design and it would be nice to see maybe just one other person using one to chime in , but hey ya know why bother , after speaking to Chris last night he's just disgusted by this and really who can blame him , S.M.B has bent over backwards to try and resolve this issue with this guy and frankly all i and others see is this Youngquestfan being a complete douche about it , at least Chris had the balls to actually give this header hell of a try instead of just talk, talk and more talk about it ,I'll finish now with this, i along with another vendor of strong standing and no its not *DM had some great "non performance" items in the works for keeping these cars on the road ,you know the little important stuff that gets often gets overlooked till it breaks and the financial backing to make it happen ,now threads like this a complete turn off and have me and my partner now thinking twice about proceeding, and again i'll say again i saw no need for this thread in the first place , the customer was not happy the vendor tried to make good via private pm's and text , Chris shared with me his own thoughts about why this header failed but thats up to Chris to share if he so desires to do so but after this i doubt he'll post here again.
  • Like 1

Yeah not gonna lie, I think this would have been a topic to be handled over PM's or phone calls. This is a problem that didn't have to involve the forum at all, Unless Chris just told you to F off or left you hanging, something to that extent. He is following through with the problem, so that is irrelevant. I, too, recall Chris suggesting ceramic coating to protect against product failure.

-Justin

If this thread is such a big deal then someone delete it.

Either way I am done with this. Moving on.

Everyone who has an SMB header make sure you get it ceramic coated before you use it so everyone will be happy.

I do not want to be hounded by other members over this topic anymore, I would just like to move on so myself and SMB may have some form of peace.

Its not up for argue or whatever. I'm simply done with it so there will be no further complications.

I'll "hide" the topic, its stil there if we need it resrfaced or researched for some reason, but no one can see it but us mods.

That last post by scotty made me mad, he called it "indestructable" several times on 26liter.us. The "no one" that said that was him :wacko: , I'll go dig it up, it pissed me off. I specificlay remember this cause it was such a bold claim to make, it really struck me when I read it, cause I knew it was already doomed. Others will fail, and a few with good coating may last, its just a matter of time.

Talking to him through PM's, sounds like it's getting worked through, atleast with partial refund. The outsiders were making it worse, but the goal was accomplised, it's now going to be watched for cracks on others.

• 4 weeks later...

I heat cycled it, made sure everything was sealed up well, then went for a quick trip a few miles down my road and back. While dropping the new engine in I decided to take a good look at it and found this.

I completely understand the time and effort that went into these but it's clear there is a serious design flaw. I'm not mad, just very disappointed. I was going to keep it between Chris and I but he has failed to respond to PMs

I think as more people finally get these on their cars we will see them fail in short order too.

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/7051/20110923173225.jpg

Edited by psu_Crash

i just examined mine a few minutes ago and it seems to be a collective thing, I've got a miniscule hair line fracture in the same location... right in the fillet weld on the collector and wastegate tube. I just thought my downpipe's V-band flange was warped this whole time. Oh well, time to make my own now, Edited by Bag-O-Chips

So how many of these headers are out there? Thats 3 down so far, all with very low mileage, PSU's was ceramic coated and heat cycled per builders instructions. Maybe some form of warning needs to be sent out to anyone else who has one and may be able take it off their car before their turbo and exhaust end up in the highway. Just a thought...also, I think maybe a few members might owe an appology of some sort to Questfan. What he did by starting this thread, wasnt to start hating on SMB. It was because he had a problem with a product he purchased through this website and put a warning up for other members to be aware of. I hope you all find resolution to this situation, but as far as I know, QuestFan still hasnt been taken care of, so...I wish you all luck.

BC_99

• 7 months later...

i texted him and let him know it cracked and no responce

And good luck getting an answer , he still has the same number but wont respond, its time for me to eat humble pie here , i stuck up for this guy and i was wrong ,he has no ethics , burned me for $300 cash for a custom swaybar i paid for 3 years ago , never finished paying me for two SQS he bought from me , never returned a new 12a turbo i lent him to keep him on the road , screwed me out of two stunning 88/89 front seats , the list goes on and on and on, the guy did build a quality header at first but changed the quality of the material probably in order to make more profit for himself , i'm done with this guy as other SQ owners here in Vegas are , i can assure you he dont give a damn about your header or anyone else's. Scotty

And good luck getting an answer , he still has the same number but wont respond, its time for me to eat humble pie here , i stuck up for this guy and i was wrong ,he has no ethics , burned me for $300 cash for a custom swaybar i paid for 3 years ago , never finished paying me for two SQS he bought from me , never returned a new 12a turbo i lent him to keep him on the road , screwed me out of two stunning 88/89 front seats , the list goes on and on and on, the guy did build a quality header at first but changed the quality of the material probably in order to make more profit for himself , i'm done with this guy as other SQ owners here in Vegas are , i can assure you he dont give a damn about your header or anyone else's. Scotty

coming from this man here, looks like everyone else is just out. sorry guys..