ARP Rod studs

ESIrType?

I am wondering if I can install the rod studs while the engine is not apart. The oil pan is off the car and I am not sure whether these are pressed in or if I can install them without pulling the pistons.

Thanks,

Shawn

i don't see why you couldn't...... it would be a good time for some fresh bearings while your there too. just get a stud metric stud removal socket and take them out. wipe the old oil off the connecting rod real good, install fresh bearings with some assembly lube, and reinstall.

Mitsu OEM rods are held together with BOLTS/nuts - NOT studs. Why are you replacing them? The OEM bolts are every bit as good as the ARP "studs"/nuts.

If you are using the OEM rods you just wasted money by buying those "studs." They will get you nothing more in reliability unless you are running a 400 HP G54B T engine unless the OEM bolts have been permanently stretched (exhibited by necking and longer than spec bolt lenght) by over torquing.

What made you decide to replace the rod fasteners with ARP if the rods are still in the engine?

For What It's Worth.

KEN

Edited by Starfighterpilot

Thanks Dad, exactly what I wanted to know.

Starfighterpilot, I bought a set of ARP "bolts" (my mistake not studs) because I had the to oil pan off while pulling on a new head and BSE kit. I figured if I was this far I might as well replace them while I have it apart.

Am I at 400hp, probably not yet, at least to the ground. I am running a big turbo and MPI I am hoping to dyno 350 rwhp sometime soon or more.

Shawn

Rods should be reconditioned if you change the bolts. If that cap isn't on exactly where its supposed to be you can eat that bearing in seconds.

Agreed. Best to do things like this during the Engine Rebuild process. I have both ARP Head Studs and Rod Bolts installed, and they were done at the time my Engine was rebuilt.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308