Fuel Cut

Killtodie

You have a volt meter and a FSM? Look in section for the ECI checker chart and it will tell you the voltages to the ECU caused by the knock sensor. Whether or not that causes a drop in timing depends on how severe the signal is seen as.

You have separated with wires and you got rid on those metal strap things that separate the wires that could be causing this? Stock were molded plastic over a metal arm not something that can cause a short. Did you replace ALL the wires?

If you described this again, the first thing someone would say is the secondary injector is sticking open or its in the wrong position or its spray angle is really wrong or fuel pressure is off. Low fuel pressure will cause an injector to spray more fuel because it can't spray it, it sort of steams it. You have any idea what your fuel pressure is?

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/262972_1480831478942_1778479606_741568_2139358_n.jpg

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/283466_1480832398965_1778479606_741571_5760443_n.jpg

Fuel pressure is 41 at idle, dont have a way to view it under load.

I replaced the first 3 wires with a spare set I had, I did not have a 4th wire but I replaced it with a temp accel wire I had, made no difference.

The metal straps are from NGK, they came with the wires. Why would they give you a part that can cause problems? I've seen quest owners who have their ignition wires zipties together all twisted and have no problems.

Im going to go buy another set of NGKs and then warranty replace the current ones using the recent purchase.

Edited by Killtodie

I replaced the first 3 wires with a spare set I had, I did not have a 4th wire but I replaced it with a temp accel wire I had, made no difference.

The metal straps are from NGK, they came with the wires. Why would they give you a part that can cause problems? I've seen quest owners who have their ignition wires zipties together all twisted and have no problems.

Im going to go buy another set of NGKs and then warranty replace the current ones using the recent purchase.

Toadie,

How many times have different members told you to install a Wideband ? And how to go about taping a Fuel Pressure gauge to the windshield to read your FP on boost? We are trying to give you advice but your not following it !!!!

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

Why is fuel pressure so high?

Remove the metal wire straps and get the injectors cleaned.

If new OEM plug wires can misfire under boost and they even have a specific orientation for them why would you ignore it and wrap them all together in a metal strap on purpose?

getting the fuel gauge to the window also take money. those hoses and fittings are not cheap

A three foot piece of Fuel hose, some brass fittings from Ace Hardware and a couple pieces of Duct Tape will break you?????COME ON :lol:

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

and fittings. yes, i know its cheap. but those parts are overpriced here. its gonna be like $15 for $2 worth of material.

In other news, I bought a new set of NKG wires, put them in, found one of the stock wire holders, cleaned it up and installed it. I'll be driving the car later and see if it made any difference.

have you pulled the mixer top off and see if the screens that filter before the injectors are dirty? if so you can blow compressed ari backwards thru it to clean it out. do not remove those screens either. just a thought.

I'm going to swap injectors with a local when I get a chance and inspect all the screens.

-Swap injectors

-get a new knock sensor

-Replace high pressure fuel filter

-get a new fuel pump

-buy a wideband when I can afford the $200

No matter what, that's the first thing that should be done when anyone buys one of these cars. Get it over with immediately its the source of MANY issues. The one thing the ECU controls to dispense metered fuel and people think that just because they spray they are fine and 99.9% of the time they are not.

• 2 weeks later...

I wont be able to afford a wideband till mid september or so.

in the meantime, the car seemed to have improved a bit. I do notice a cloud of dark smoke out the exhaust when it missfires, it's currently back to just doing one missfire/fuel cut like event rather then the farting out of the exhaust.

Had no time to try any more troubleshooting. No luck on finding a replacement knock sensor but I dont think its causing any problems, it might still be bad though.

I doubt it's the knock sensor. if it doesn't change anything when unplugged, then it's not the issue. knock sensors are peizo electric devices. generate voltage when they detect sound (within a certain range, tuned for it's application) like a phone.

As long as you find someone who has just gotten them cleaned, then that'll be a worthwhile change. Otherwise you're just trading with someone who may have the same issue you're having provided they were running 15+psi.

Raspberries? http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif

Does the sound sound like a shrieking noise? If so, you have a loose exhaust manifold fastener(s), loose fasteners at the turbo to exh manifold or the fasteners holding the down pipe to the waste gate casting are loose. It could also be the exhaust housing volute/waste gate to the turbo cartridge attachment clamp's nut is loose.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

this nose is being cause'd by an air leak , two primary places that are the normal cause is the 90 degree rubber hose on the ic out and the connector at the inj houseing to OVC pipe and of course any of these cheaper couplors you buy on ebay

the hose splits and pressure causes them to open and make the noise

the loss of air volume causes the ecu to over run the fuel mix and fuel cut is the result

Edited by Shelby