Wondering how much longer the party will last.

UlrichWolf

Before I get into this, let me say, these are great cars, and they are fun cars.

However, here recently, I have found THE 3rd Gen F Body. It's a very nice car, very pristine, and optioned how I want one, down to the colors.

But I digress.

As I sit and wonder what to do concerning my hobby vehicle future, I came to an interesting point. Parts sources for these cars are slowly but surely drying up, and how long will it be before it gets to a cannibalistic state, if we are not already there? After all, when I see someone selling a car, I see more requests to part the thing than I do offers on the car.

In contrast, the F Body has a cheap and plentiful supply of parts. Now, I know it is because they made so many more of them, but hopefully you see my point.

Random thought from me, as I determine, once again, whether or not to sell my car, and move onto something that has better parts availability.

Tim

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the natural progression Tim, welcome to my 2005 LOL. Instead of an F-body I did the CJ build. It was sure nice building a vehicle from the ground up and having 99% of the parts out there a phone call away brand new, refurbished or even NOS.

The problem you will find with other "larger" communities is that they aren't nearly as helpful as the community here. I could only find one decent Jeep site and it still had nothing like what is found here. The Enfield site I frequent is close to the SQ group, but then again it is another relatively small group of people in the US.

If you are considering selling the car because of parts "availability"... you have the car for the wrong reasons.

The reason you see more requests for parts is because those people want used parts for cheap.

-Robert

How do you figure, Robert? A hobby car is simply that. It's supposed to bring enjoyment, not frustration, do you not agree with this?

I have my car because I like the car, and I have had a great time with the car. In other words, I have enjoyed the hobby. Now it seems as if the hobby is turning to somewhat of a burden, especially with the way I care to maintain a vehicle.

The problem you will find with other "larger" communities is that they aren't nearly as helpful as the community here. I could only find one decent Jeep site and it still had nothing like what is found here. The Enfield site I frequent is close to the SQ group, but then again it is another relatively small group of people in the US.

Mike, ThirdGen.Org for the F body is amazingly helpful, and very informative, however, it does lack a family feel that this site has.

Tim

How do you figure, Robert? A hobby car is simply that. It's supposed to bring enjoyment, not frustration, do you not agree with this?

I have my car because I like the car, and I have had a great time with the car. In other words, I have enjoyed the hobby. Now it seems as if the hobby is turning to somewhat of a burden, especially with the way I care to maintain a vehicle.

Mike, ThirdGen.Org for the F body is amazingly helpful, and very informative, however, it does lack a family feel that this site has.

Tim

Not to mention GM makes reproduction parts or allows reproduction parts to be made.

Not all hobbies are fun. It's an obscure car, you have to be realistic and come to terms that things aren't always going to be easy. There are plenty worse cars, as far as parts availability, out there that people are into.

This is not a lame ol' Camaro that there's a billion of out there. Parts aren't as plentiful and there are going to be difficult times, but those are the terms that come with the car.

I guess I'm just a stubborn mother trucker and don't give up or give in easily.

-Robert

I'm with Robert. It also doesn't help that the cars have a bad reputation of blowing up, steering ppl away from them, which results in aftermarket going meh.

That being said I've considered having an SQ as a cruiser ( simple mods e.g. 14G, 3" and lowered ) and picking up an FC to pursue my wants on drifting and such.

The reason you see more requests for parts is because those people want used parts for cheap.

-Robert

that says it all right there. 99% of the reason so many cars are asked to be parted is because of the people here being cheap. i understand not having much money to throw around, so therefore you need to and want to look for the best deals you can get. but....... lets face it, this community as a whole is cheap.

if your interest truly fall to the side of the f body, then i understand as i have other interest as well, but if its just about parts availability that hinders you from enjoying the car, i urge you to think twice before you slip off into the world that generally seems to be full of wenis's with ears that seems to occupy the g.m. car crowd.

while driving the quest, how many camaro owners have you encountered that turned their nose and acted like your quest isnt worthy? im sure youve seen it a few times. or youve been among a group of people who are a bit more to the hot rod side and they make claims that 4 cylinders cant produce power. youve been there and done that and now you know better. do you really think you are gonna be able to fit in with the group of people who have that mentality? i have a feeling your here for more than just the cars, your here to find a little different crownd of people and i think thats most of what will keep you here. even if you venture to the darkside, i think you will be back.

hope you dont decide to leave, we need your input around here.

I'm with Robert. It also doesn't help that the cars have a bad reputation of blowing up, steering ppl away from them, which results in aftermarket going meh.

That being said I've considered having an SQ as a cruiser ( simple mods e.g. 14G, 3" and lowered ) and picking up an FC to pursue my wants on drifting and such.

FC's, no way. go big and go FD. i like the body style. they need a diff. engine for my taste, but i cant really afford that project anyways.

Dont do it Tim, i have a feeling you might kick yourself later down the road.

F-Bodies are cool.Just fine you a rare optioned Bird to play with like my 1987 Formula in silver.It is the T80 of the f-bodies.

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/2775/frontendi.jpg

I just threw up a little - how hideous

Edited by NotStock88

Not all hobbies are fun. It's an obscure car, you have to be realistic and come to terms that things aren't always going to be easy. There are plenty worse cars, as far as parts availability, out there that people are into.

This is not a lame ol' Camaro that there's a billion of out there. Parts aren't as plentiful and there are going to be difficult times, but those are the terms that come with the car.

I guess I'm just a stubborn mother trucker and don't give up or give in easily.

-Robert

That's pretty much it, except for the giving up part....

Hobby cars are all about having fun with them. That involves finding the right balance between enjoyment, parts availability, budget, time, etc... Some people want to have something they can enjoy more often with less work and without killing the wallet. Of course, those types of cars are usually something lots of people have, but there's still always a way to give it your own personal touch and make it a little different than the next guy. With cars like ours that are more obscure we can have something that not too many people know about or have seen. Along with that, parts are harder to find, getting people to work on them is difficult, and sometimes you have downtime for repairs as you wait to find the right part. Personally, I'm cool with it, because my SQs hardly ever get driven much so if they have to sit and wait for repairs or for me to have time, it's no biggie to me. Hell, my Starion just got on the road again 2 weeks ago after sitting since May needing a fuel pump. If not for Mingo giving me a sweet Bosch pump and motivating me to get the car on the road, it would probably still be sitting.

I don't think moving from SQ's to another car is giving up or giving in necessarilly. I think people's balance between enjoyment/parts availability/budget/time sometimes change as their lives in general change as they get older. Some people get married, have kids, or have a carreer that takes lots of their time and/or money, and they find they have to move on to another car that meets their current ballance better.

I got a buddy that restores Kaiser Darrins. You want to talk about a hard car to find parts or people to work on them LOL. The guy is insane about those cars and lives in near poverty and spends ALL his free time on the things just to be able to own 2 of them. He has started to get into old air coooled Porsches to be able to have some cars that are "easy" to find parts for LOL.

It also doesn't help that the cars have a bad reputation of blowing up, steering ppl away from them, which results in aftermarket going meh.

LOL... the owners' negligence is the reason the cars "blow up". It's not the car's fault at all.. believe it.

-Robert

Meh. This is a pretty well supported car still. Two of my other cars are far less supported.

I think the Starquest world is probably past it's peak, but it isn't dried up. New technologies are keeping these cars on the road, even if they aren't stock. It is probably nearing the end of the platform being reasonable to build 500HP+ G54B cars out of. Transmissions rear ends and various other parts that are prone breaking under load are drying up. But the Starquest community will change to reflect this. Motor and tranny swaps will become more common or people will just lower expectations once they realize the difficulty of sourcing replacements.

My mom has a MGB, while that is a popular car and has a world following, I think it and other semi-rare British cars can be used to show a point. Workarounds exist to get around it problematic areas. You swap the Stromburgs for a set of more modern Webers. On Lotus Elans you ditch the whole rear axle, flex disc assembly for new CV jointed pieces. I imagine at some point we will find megasquirt conversions on Starquests are nearly as common as 14G/16G swaps. Starquest will be freed from their computer and sensor replacement limitations. Most of the mechanicals are robust enough the stand up to non-abusive use for a long time to come.

One big issue the Starquest has is that is wasn't hugely popular and people with big money aren't playing with them. Soft parts like seats, dashes and such will not be profitable for a company to recreate. Still, I think in the 10 years the number of car sent to the scrap heap will slow, in fact it has already. And while this next stage won't be the heyday of Starquest performance, the cars left will be running for many years to come.

I don't think moving from SQ's to another car is giving up or giving in necessarilly. I think people's balance between enjoyment/parts availability/budget/time sometimes change as their lives in general change as they get older. Some people get married, have kids, or have a carreer that takes lots of their time and/or money, and they find they have to move on to another car that meets their current ballance better.

Yep, owning a car like this is all about affordability. Can I afford the monetary costs, afford the time, afford the attention to maintenance, afford the troubles and headaches. It's not an everyday car for the family, or a cheap econobox that gets you by, or a rice rocket with cheap parts.

But...

Don't blame the car for not being what it isn't, blame yourself for not accepting what it is.

-Robert

Can we please keep this civil?

My choice of vehicle for this conversation, is honestly irrelevant.

As far as the rest of you, I have to say, I am a little shocked. The only one that seems to get it is Burton. And Robert......why does a hobby have to be frustrating?

If a hobby is not fun, it is a hobby not worth having. Not all hobbies are fun? Never in my life have I heard such crap. Hobby = fun in my book.

If it is not fun, I had better be getting paid for it, because that sounds like a JOB.

Tim

This coming from the guy with ricer head lights and Ghetto rims?

Talking about throwing up,I actually just pee'd my pants from LOL'ing so hard.

Yeah that's true I got my head lights on eBay and my rims are super ghetto...and cheap... And on every car around.. Lol

But seriously Tim I hear you. I would like to think that you could buy whatever else you wanted and just drive the quest less. It doest cost you anything sitting there... To me the thought of going from a quest to a f-body is well...whats getting ppl going. I say get both...

Edited by Convette

Can we please keep this civil?

My choice of vehicle for this conversation, is honestly irrelevant.

As far as the rest of you, I have to say, I am a little shocked. The only one that seems to get it is Burton. And Robert......why does a hobby have to be frustrating?

If a hobby is not fun, it is a hobby not worth having. Not all hobbies are fun? Never in my life have I heard such crap. Hobby = fun in my book.

If it is not fun, I had better be getting paid for it, because that sounds like a JOB.

Tim

Most people choose cars that fit them. But this is one of those cars that you choose to fit to.

A hobby is an activity you engage in for enjoyment. Not all hobbies are 100% full time fun for everyone. For example, building intricate models, this requires a LOT of meticulous work and attention to minute details. Someone could suffer during those stages but, gain their rewards in the end game. Someone else could enjoy the tedious parts of that hobby, solely. While you may not enjoy a certain hobby, others might relish in it.

This is just me, but I really enjoy challenges, diligence, ... and sometimes hard work. I see the experience I gain as my payment. I suppose I'm not in it for the money.

Like I said, if you wanted something easy... you have this kind of car for the wrong reasons.

-Robert