90AMP Alternator from a 95 2.0 Sonata that bolts up

monty87

Hello everyone I found that a 95 Sonata 2.0 has a 90AMP Alternator "Thats a Mitsubishi unit by the way"

Bolts up and plugs right in just swap over your pully and your done!

Also I have a PDF File of Alternators and Starters where I found the info. There is pic's of it installed as well

Hope this info helps you guys out.

P.S This year car did come with a 75AMP unit in some models so when your at the JYards look at the Tag!!

http://thestarquestclub.com/forums/t214/

Very good!

Are you sure is bolt on.....about 5 months back I was trying to find a bolt-on upgrade here and read a few treads and order 2 different alternators just like someone did here a many months ago and did not bolt-on.

After the 2nd one I said forget it...I went ahead and got a replacement 75 amp from the local Autopart.(Carquest)

where is the cross reference part number for it in the PDF?

Very good!

Are you sure is bolt on.....about 5 months back I was trying to find a bolt-on upgrade here and read a few treads and order 2 different alternators just like someone did here a many months ago and did not bolt-on.

After the 2nd one I said forget it...I went ahead and got a replacement 75 amp from the local Autopart.(Carquest)

where is the cross reference part number for it in the PDF?

Yes it is a bolt on for sure, The 95 Sonata came with two types a 75AMP and 90AMP Like this link.

There is MD#'S and I think that is there Cross Reference. Look on page 169 in the PDF its on the right hand side.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/1995-Hyundai-Sonata/Alternator/_/N-j1ipdZ9ridy

Edited by monty87

Yes it is a bolt on for sure

Have you personally installed one on a Starquest? I read your link. One member who said he installed one on a Starquest (I'm assuming that was you) stated: "It is not clocked the same and needs a longer belt,a spacer and a longer bolt". Bolt-on to me means bolt-on, you remove the old one and install the new one without modifications.Just letting the members know this before they go to the junkyard or run out and purchase a new one.

CALIBER 308

Edited by Caliber308

Have you personally installed it on your car?

CALIBER 308

I have the Starion/Conquest motor installed in my 87 Montero 4x4.

The install is the same as yours ;)

Check my link for pictures there worth a thousand words...

Edited by monty87

I have the Starion/Conquest motor installed in my 87 Montero 4x4.

The install is the same as yours ;)

Check my link for pictures there worth a thousand words...

Read my full reply above.

CALIBER 308

Yes I did mine this last weekend. took about 45Min if you pull the AC. I understand what your saying but A Longer belt and Bolt isnt much to get while your on your way back from the Yard/Auto parts shop. As for the spacer 3/4 is about what you need to snug stuff up. As for the clocked tab its only 1/2 inch diffrence there for needing a longer belt to pull it away from the block. It takes about the same time as a stock one. Edited by monty87

Yes I did mine this last weekend. took about 45Min if you pull the AC.

You don't have to pull the A/C. It can be done from underneth the car by removing the drivers side of the sway bar. How do I know this? I installed a new 100amp direct bolt-up alternator that I purchased for $100.00 shipped. Still, with the modifications to the Sonata alternator....It is not a direct bolt-up. I'm not trying to argue with you, just pointing things out.

CALIBER 308

Edited by Caliber308

Well its all right there.. Too me Getting a longer bolt the "spacer in hand" By the way sence where in the mod section I figure people can be creative on what they use. and a 1 inch longer belt. Not much in mods there... But ok. Edited by monty87

I would think so if your going to have a 75/95 AMP sonata case to swap with the 110AMP sonata case should be the same.

I would get both from a junk yard before spending any real money on a new one though..

I have had mine installed for almost a week now and everything is doing good. Im running 6 Offroad lights, CB Radio, Power inverter, stereo system with no problems.

• 3 weeks later...
Ive been using a 95 mazda rx7 alternator for 7 years, Is 100 amp and you have to open up the mount hole on the bottom to accept the mazda bolt and change the pulley to a V pulley. part # 13460 or 14451 good luck PS get the bolt from the junk yard.

Is "open up" another way of saying enlarge? Or is the hole not centered to the old one?

Enlarge the mazda bolt has a larger diameter, After enlarging the hole you can still use the stock alternator if you need to in the future I have a stock alternator that I use as a spare

Enlarge the mazda bolt has a larger diameter, After enlarging the hole you can still use the stock alternator if you need to in the future I have a stock alternator that I use as a spare

Im talking about the lower pivot hole on the timing chaing cover

The 95 amp mitsu alternator will burn up in the StarQuest engine bay if it actually ever needs to charge 95 amps. It can not cool itself that hi in any engine bay. It really isn't the best option. Mitsu knows it is rare that it will ever need to charge that hi, so they and other manufacturers make units that will not cool themselves up there. The only time you really ever need that is when the battery is dead. Then you better be driving down the road to help it cool, or surely it will burn up.

The Mazda one is a better option.

This another reason we chose to use the GM CS-130 unit with the proper parts and case to work and last in the StarQuest.