Richie_Rich is the devil, Painters come on in

garychoffmann

So I went to Richie_rich's house and got a maf from him. Looked at his other projects going on and the guy is a great guy. Sad this community is losing him. But, I was talking about painting a starion and we shared a laugh about how well received my glittery starion was received by the community. I was talking to him about painting the starion satin black as I had an area on the car I did not like. Then he says to me "wonder how metal flake would look in a flat paint" or something to that effect. So I sat on it a few days and started sanding down the starion. So I put down my black base and then did my midcoat with a fire red flake, red shimmer pearl and then a blue ghost pearl. So I move onto my clear. I get my flattening agent and talk to the guy at the shop (who I have become friends with) he told me to thin the first coat %50 and spray it from about 18 inches and fog it untill it gets "wet" so I do that and everything looked good, untill the damn clear started to dry and you can tell it's splotchy as all get out. So I go over it again with a less reduced clear. Let that dry overnight and I have a black car with white splotches all over it. I never knew how hard it would be to paint a car flat since it hides so many imperfections. Come to find out spraying a flat clear is only for the people who are really good. It's going to take me some time to get it right. Not so thrilled with my choice.

Painters know any good tricks? One painter told me to mix some baby powder into the clear and I laughed, but he was serious and took a piece of metal, put some black primer on it, put some baby powder in a clear and shot it..... I'll be damned, flattest smoothest piece of metal I've seen. He did it in about 2 minutes. I told him my car is prepped and sitting at my house, how much to spray it flat. He told me it would take him about 30 minutes to shoot it and he would only charge me $500.00 What a deal..... I may have to take him up on it. LOL

I thought the BassBoat theme was the ish....

Surf and Turf anyone? I'm just kidding Gary. If you like the paint job, whatever paint color you choose, that is all that counts. Look at my car "Mexican Red". There are a lot of Starquests out there the same color, But I like it.

CALIBER 308

Edited by Caliber308

your white splotches sounds like humidity. ive never had any trouble putting on a flat clear. you spray it just like any other paint.maybe you were getting heavy in some areas and not in other areas. even thoughits going to dry out flat, you still have to wet it up, just like shiny clear. ive never heard the baby powder thing. might have to make a few phone calls and see about that. sounds interesting.

Well, we'll know as it dries lol. It's more of a satin than a flat I would say. I added the flattener in accordance to the shop guy. Pure insanity, I'm a novice painter, I've never even had a meantor. I just decided I wanted to teach myself how to paint. I've just tried what I have "heard" about. Like chasing a run out..... that was a disaster and should only be attempted by a professional....

I'm just one of those guys who like to try everything myself. I'm going to put it in the sun today and see how it dries out completely. I know it's still gasing so maybe it will be good after it dries a while lol

Sounds to me like you put it on too thich where the white coudiness is. I've gotten that kind of effect before and usually it was from being too heavy, or an improper mixing ratio. I've not used flattening agents much tho.