raising hood

Killtodie

How much would this help to keep the engine bay cool? Not necessarily drop engine temps but keep it cool so if I need to pop the hood I dont ahve to wait 20 minutes before I cant touch anything

http://jsjbrothers.com/albums/album32/IMG_6087_Medium.sized.jpg

It won't do much at all. It will help with engine temps a little, but even my cowl hood with vents that allow air in over the top of the engine to cool things off doesn't allow me to touch the engine right away. I can tell from the temp gauge it helps the engine run cooler, but I still have to let the engine cool a good 20-30 minutes before I mess with it. IF it does lower the temp of your hood itself, it will probably only be a degree or two. Or, get a fiberglass hood. My hood stays nice and cool and I can open it at any time, I just can't touch the engine for a while after running. Edited by Burton

think about what your saying, your wanting to open the hood on a turbo car and just jump in there and start working on things..

do you know how hot a turbo gets when running?

if you really want to eleminate temps, then eleminate the turbo..

To clarify, I dont mean the engine block itself, just everything around it. My strut bar, hard pipes, hood latch, throttle body are all very hot.

To clarify, that's exactly all the stuff I'm taking about. These things generate some heat so it doesn't matter what mods you do to your hood, or what kind of hood you have- all that stuff will heat up, with extra vents and such maybe knocking it down a few degrees.

Hell, even when I was driving around without a hood on at all for a few weeks all that stuff still got too hot to touch right away, but deffinately got cooler much sooner.

I say do it anyway. Even if it only helps the engine and bay stay just a few degrees cooler, every little bit helps, and it only costs a few washers and a 4 longer bolts.

Edited by Burton

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f256/maricherry1987/Starion%20stuff/101_4724.jpg

Here's a pic from a few months back. You can see that it's lifted a little nothing too aggressive

Edited by thagremlin

did you just put spacers on all 4 bolts or just the rear two? did you have to use longer screws?

and how about the molding back there, I cant remember if there is even any there, but should that be removed or maybe removing it without raising it will help

Edited by Killtodie

It's biggest accomplishment will be that it will make you appear more like a douche...and will make folks laugh and point cause your body panels fit like ish.

It will make you and your car both look cheap, basically. Follows the theme already set by your juvenile and senseless exhaust.

Carry on.

Turborusty

the first thing you guys need to do is find out exactly how hot the engine and relate'd parts are ,, an example of how hot things are is coffee is brew'd at 190f and not many will stick their fingers in the cup to stir the drink

but hot is diff from person to person,, some have a much higher pain tolerance then others also has a lot to do with calouses on hands etc

and some are just woooshes ;)

Try speed holes instead

That sounds dirty! This is a family site!

It will make you and your car both look cheap, basically. Follows the theme already set by your juvenile and senseless exhaust.

Don't forget the zip tied airdam!

i can drive mine on a freeway run hard as i can in 100 degree heat, pull over and grab my ovcp and its COOL to the touch. you wanna cool things down add a functial scoop and open up the grill a little. i have no proof but i would be willing to bet my underhood temps are half that of a stock quest.

knotice here where the air from the larger grill opening goes....right across the head.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/questmanual2/silverquest/9deb1c2d.jpg

and knotice in this pic if you look in the hood scoop opening you see the glare from the flash, thats my chrome OVCP that gets cold air constantly blown across it before it enters the TB.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/questmanual2/silverquest/77c8a087.jpg