reworked head for compresion and swirl patter

S.M.B

Since what you have done is copy the TS Magna head.

http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1986

pictures there of the pistons

Now, since they reproduce all the other 2.6 heads, someone needs to just ask those casting those heads to make the TS Magna head if they don't already and then send one of those pistons to JE. If you think the CR is too high, and I do not but it will make for a larger tuning window, all they have to do is deepen the dish or offer different dish depths. That version of the motor was a two year low production model so they may not have that combustion chamber shape but I don't see why they can't change the machining program so they don't remove as much material.

no i didnt get it dynoed yet, just did the work yesturday. i just didnt like the 7:1 briggs and stratton low end. now it should have more low end, better responce out of the cam and faster spool for the t3 turbo. the compression should be around 9 - 9.5:1 , also took .040 off the deck and closed the chain guides to tighten it up. i was hopin for 10:1 but after blending its dropped

well my head is ported and polished so the numbers would different from non ported heads with raised compression. the real goal of this is to bump the compression but with how it was done, its also to help swirl as it enters the chamber. swirl u wont really see on a flow bench cuz the swirl is done after it leaves the valve and enters the combustion chamber.

i just acquired a side job to change a head gasket on a starion, and after the head was removed i saw it has raised compression but done the wrong way to achieve it. they had milled the block down to zero deck to the piston but also shrunk the deck thickness to only .090 wich is why the head gasket blew from block distortion. so i thought it would be good to offer this service as a way to raise ur compression with out taking a chance on having to throw away ur block. plus the added performance from the swirl pattern

• 1 month later...

Interesting indeed...Can your shop port and polish the whole head too? It'd be a paint to order a head, have it shipped, get it to someone to port it, and then ship it to you and back for the ported chambers -_-

thanks,

-Justin

• 5 weeks later...

This is themagna head from Australia. Actually i believe it is from the Astron II.

Very similar to your design. I think this is from 1979 or around that year/.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q299/I-W/Quest_Parts_and_Info/M9-1.jpg

yea thats pretty much the same thing, i wouldnt mind havin that head. saves alot of work lol

Good minds think alike I guess..... Here is my 3 gen Magna head.

http://www.26liter.us/forum/Garage/uploads/cache/garage_gallery_484100818.jpg

http://www.26liter.us/forum/Garage/uploads/cache/garage_gallery_1053767698.jpg

Edited by TainterRacing

looks good and I like the thought of upping the compression, but, I want to correct you on one thing...

by doing this you are not making it into a swirl port head, nor really affecting the swirl whatsoever.

I'm sure flow will be better though...but, the swirl effect will not probably not change as that has nothing to do with what you did.

looks good and I like the thought of upping the compression, but, I want to correct you on one thing...

by doing this you are not making it into a swirl port head, nor really affecting the swirl whatsoever.

I'm sure flow will be better though...but, the swirl effect will not probably not change as that has nothing to do with what you did.

mmmm the heart shape is what makes it swirl...... will get a better air/fuel Mix

mmmm the heart shape is what makes it swirl...... will get a better air/fuel Mix

no, that is not true. Thats a common misconception. What creates the swirl is the shape and design of the intake ports.

I just read this about a week ago in a Mopar Performance racing guide for the 2.2L/2.5L. It said that when they came out with the swirl port design on the LA series small blocks, it just so happened to also have a heart shaped combustion chamber to boost compression, and everyone thought (racers/performance magazines) that the heart shaped combustion chamber was what created the swirl, however, they have nothing to do with each other.

As I said, what causes the swirl is the shape and design of the intake ports and the way the air/fuel is directed/enters the cc around the valve.

It also said that they made a few heads for the small blocks that were swirl that didn't have the heart shape cc.

They are swirl "port" heads after all :P

well the guy that did the welding on the head is "greg davis" he is well known in the pro stock drag scene for building his own cylinder heads from a solid chunk of aluminum and sheet metal intakes. real top notch guy, so if he says this also helps swirl pattern im takin his work for it.

The way I understand it is they do more then just add compression they ad in getting a better air fuel mix I guess to call it a swil port might not be right but They both get better MPG and all so tend to out flow most other shapes.

In the ’80s and early ’90s, combustion chambers began to receive a bit more attention with an attempt to push or move the combustion process toward the exhaust side of the chamber. Heart or kidney-shaped chambers began to appear that not only improved flow out of the intake valve, but also attempted to encourage mixture movement toward the exhaust side of the chamber. Angled spark plugs also began to appear with some regularity accompanied by information that suggested that the spark plug could improve combustion by beginning the event from a more advantageous position.

Edited by TainterRacing