A/C question

Live4Boost

I got my car inspected yesterday. While I was there I asked if they have R12 to recharge my system. He said nobody does. And then I asked what it takes to convert to R134a, he said the whole system the needs to be flushed, dryer replaced, and a tube replaced.

I got my car inspected yesterday. While I was there I asked if they have R12 to recharge my system. He said nobody does. And then I asked what it takes to convert to R134a, he said the whole system the needs to be flushed, dryer replaced, and a tube replaced.

And that's exactly how they get lots of $$$ from people. Most people don't know squat when it comes to AC. So they accept any BS mechanics say.

Probably expansion tube. Our cars run an expansion valve. The mike c post explains that its under the dash but should not need to be changed out because its compatible with 134a. The dryer is real simple to replace and might have the old r-12 oil in it. Its a $15 part and sits next to the oil cooler.

• 8 years later...

Old thread bumpage.

I am going to convert the R12 to 134a on my 88

I want to replace all the o rings in the system. Where should i buy them?  Just buy a kit with assorted sizes and match them up?

Rock auto has two o ring kits available, anyone ever use them?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3919260&cc=1062470&pt=13290&jsn=879

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1251595&cc=1062470&pt=13290&jsn=880

I bought 2 kits off Amazon. Just look at the sizes and it seems there are 2 common metric sizes from the kits I looked at. Think it was under $30 for both kits. Weird part is the larger the o-ring even if it fits the worse my micron rating while pulling a vacuum. It seemed if the tubes slipped together with slight drag from the o-ring it sealed better. 

1 hour ago, BKB94 said:

I bought 2 kits off Amazon. Just look at the sizes and it seems there are 2 common metric sizes from the kits I looked at. Think it was under $30 for both kits. Weird part is the larger the o-ring even if it fits the worse my micron rating while pulling a vacuum. It seemed if the tubes slipped together with slight drag from the o-ring it sealed better. 

Can you give me the links to the kits you bought from amazon. Thanks