so...whats your opinion on subies?

I'm just wondering what everyone's opinion is on Subarus. WRXs in particular.

From 2004-2007 are the body styles I like...but...what I'm wondering is...

anyone have any experience with them? How are they to work on? How exspensive are parts for them? Do they last? Are they decent on fuel?

Everything I read says they're great cars with great power and not too hard on gas...so...

just wondering if there's any personal, non-biased (ie, WRX Forums) reviews on them :)

But, I'm looking to get something newer, thats cool that'll last me, and thats fast enough so that I won't play with it for a while...haha.

LMAO! My mom is looking at a Forester right now. My friend has one and loves it drives nice. MAKE SURE YOU GET THE BOXER ENGINE WITH THE OPPOSED PISTONS, i believe there was a time where they switched away from those and it was horrible.

Motor is a complain to work on and they are known to blow HGs. Just ask Boosted he worked for the local subi dealer. A HG is not and easy fix on a flat engine. Motors dont have much space in the engine bay. The interiors are alright, but thats about it. Not to mention Subi's have no styling whatsoever(IMO of course). Plus every guy young, dumb, and full of *** wants one.

Id take an Evo over an STI anyway. Motors are way better and its much easier to work on. Im not just saying this to be a Mitsu fanboy either. Im just a Subi hater :P. They are decent car and pretty reliable, but what new car especially Japanese new car isnt?

Thats my .02

Edited by MoltoMario

Evo is $$$$

WRX can be had for $12k

Evo can be had for $20k

WRX, esp that generation, is through and through reliable. Just don't thrash it about like you're at a metal concert.

The also turn a lot tighter than an Evo. Everytime I've driven an Evo8 I wonder if I'm going to make the u-turn at full lock. Everytime I've pulled a U-turn in a WRX/STI I wonder if I'm about to turn right back into the median :lol:

My cousin has a WRX and a past close friend of mine has had a couple of evo's. They are both very cool cars, but bang for buck I would say go WRX.

The first evo he had, was a lemon. Ignition problems and it stayed at the dealership being diagnosed until they finally just gave him the 2nd one because they just couldnt figure out what was wrong with the first. The last time I saw his 2nd one it was a couple of years old and was smoking really badly.

My cousins WRX, he bought used, it was quick, but it wasnt an STi, he upgraded to a full subura open exhaust and had the ecu reflashed to be comparable to the STi tune and the thing hauls some serius tail now and is still very reliable and gets pretty good milegae to boot. The WRX's seem to be more common and have a local club here that he is part of also.

Just some different things to consider,

BC_99

Also

WR- I mean, the SUBARU community, as a whole, is like family. Show up in a 1994 Subaru Impreza L or show up in a 2010 Spec B Legacy or STi Forrester, and you're a part of the family.

Evo people is like a giant wenis contest. If you're not pushing 400+ whp, they don't give a rats patoot about you. Main reason partially as to why my friend is selling his 03 GSR. Really, the community does suck.

i have had an 03 "Bugeye" for 6 years now as my daily driver. though i have kept the engine stock( minus a BOV and cat back exhaust) and just added some racing harts its great.

I did want an evo first, but after driving 1 for a week i felt like it was more of a go kart and not as comfortable, but yes Evo is faster.

Never had a problem with the Suby, done all the regular maint, oil plugs belts and hoses. Starts every time, a/c blows cold instantly on 100+ degree days, tires last 4 years plus and i never even rotate them from the day there put on. the inside is not distracting no obtuse things that stand out. mines a wagon so i when i get hauling tail and bouncing off the bov people hear it, but they dont expect to see its a wagon.

as for how fast is it, prob 14's stock. beaten a good handful of Fire chickens (tranny sams and queermareos) i mean to me its a comfortable car not a race car, but it could be a race car easily.

plus its something i can take my friends out in comfort, everyone has there own door and window. lots of safety items and air bags stock, decent cargo room.

so im saying get a WRX,

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o249/yokomo99/Photo1026.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o249/yokomo99/Photo1027.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o249/yokomo99/Photo1028.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o249/yokomo99/Photo1025.jpg engines in there nice and tight!!!

though mines for sale since im looking for a GS 400 as a replacement.

http://limitlessmotorsports.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/lexus_3.jpg

I own a 2005 WRX STi and there are a few things to think about when looking to buy a subaru... If you plan on leaving it alone, great! if you start modding the thing it... it's such a finecky car you'll have to re-tune for every stupid mod. I've gone through it all and I personally hate it. $600 for a decent exhaust, $300 for a tune to go "stage 2" which really does wake the car up with an extra 40lb/ft of torque but after all that you start adding different mods you'll have to re-tune all over again. And as far as the community, It's true about the family aspect but then again it becomes a giant meat sword swinging contest just like the evo crowd. And Nothing Comes close to the creativity that the Sarquest community has. Most everyone "buys" everything they have and even if you make something great and beneficial to the community people will still bash you for it because it's not a name brand like PERRIN or APS.

just my insight though, I'm pretty much out of the subaru community thus the reason I came back to StarQuests.

these guys are family.

-Chips

man. a stock wrx is not a 14 second car, don't kid yourself. I've got one of those bug eyes WRX. SLOW.

as a mechanic, we always see those things with leaking headgaskets. subaru knows all to well about the issues with those engines. mine's got rod knock now FYI and it wasn't low on oil. headjobs are a nightmare on those btw.

go to youtube and search subaru rod knock

in the end, those are in essence, cheap cars with decent power. they don't last though, so buy one with low miles. also, prepare to put a catalytic converter on it at 100k. search subaru p0420 on google.

I don't know much about the WRX's but i used to have a '98 legacy sedan for an office/work car and I have to admit it was a fun car, not really fast but it had pep and would push snow. I drove it hard, harder than probably any other car i've driven (Spun doughnuts in mud till is looked like mud from the center of the roof down several times, sideways down gravel roads, ect...) and it ran flawlessly when i turned it back in. Seems like all i hear about the newer subies is problems though.

I'm just wondering what everyone's opinion is on Subarus. WRXs in particular.

From 2004-2007 are the body styles I like...but...what I'm wondering is...

anyone have any experience with them? How are they to work on? How exspensive are parts for them? Do they last? Are they decent on fuel?

Everything I read says they're great cars with great power and not too hard on gas...so...

just wondering if there's any personal, non-biased (ie, WRX Forums) reviews on them :)

But, I'm looking to get something newer, thats cool that'll last me, and thats fast enough so that I won't play with it for a while...haha.

Seriously they are kinda like hondas. EVERYONE has them. I swear everytime I go into freakin hanover theres about 5. I mena there fast and all but it just seem like rich ricers who dont need a honda have a WRX or STi.

My .02 btw im just a kid haha

Seriously they are kinda like hondas. EVERYONE has them. I swear everytime I go into freakin hanover theres about 5. I mena there fast and all but it just seem like rich ricers who dont need a honda have a WRX or STi.

My .02 btw im just a kid haha

lol...I'm actually in Hanover right now, and yes, there is a lot of them up here.

But, in Florida, I know of one that I've seen, and, its pretty built up. But, Lancers are everywhere. Then again, there is only a Mitsu dealer there, no Subaru dealers to speak of. But...the funny thing is, I called a few local dealers up here in PA and they all said they are tough cars to find and they don't have any, but would look for me...haha.

And...I'm just a kid too...but, I like them. I actually think they are very good looking cars for a 4 door. And, I definitley don't consider myself a ricer. I'm a loud American V8 driving whatever you want to call me...haha. But, gas mileage is non existant. I measure my truck in gallons per mile...lol

Really, though, I would like to test drive one, just to see if I'd like it. Problem is, they'll see a kid walk through the door and think..."yeah right." haha.

I'm just looking for one to buy, maybe throw a performance exhaust on and a BOV, and drive it everyday. I've got one more year before college, and, once that comes, I'd like to have something newer and nice that I won't have to tinker with or worry about it. Just get in and drive, look good, and be fun in stock trim.

Also, a friend of ours has a bug eye WRX (non-STI) and it runs good. Much faster than the Quest, thats for sure.

Truthfully though...if I get one, it will be an STI. I see them all over Ebay (the 04-05 model...which I like more), for around 16k with 50k miles. So...I think one could be had reasonably. But, if I'm going to get a Subaru, it has to be what I want. I don't want to settle for something a little cheaper and down the road wish I would have opted for the better one. If I'm going to do that, I might as well get something else.

Also...they are advertised at around 20mpg city and around 27mpg highway...thats about twice what I have...lol And, according to guys on Subie Forums...they get about 15 beating the crap out of the cars...so...sounds good to me :P

And...as far as the EVOs...the only EVO I would consider is the EVO X, and they're obviously still very exspensive...haha. But, all the other EVOs, to be honest, look like a normal Jap car with a spoiler. The Subies have widebody fenders and scoops and everything to really make them look good. To be honest, I put them along the same lines as the Starquest as far as best factory styling have to go.

I don't know though...as I said, I'd have to drive one to really know if I like it, but...until then, I'll keep researching and drooling at every picture of one that I see :)

how young is "just a kid"? better get an insurance quote for these before you decide what to buy, I've seen "kids" pay more for insurnace than their car payment, especialy if there is one or more points on their record.

how young is "just a kid"? better get an insurance quote for these before you decide what to buy, I've seen "kids" pay more for insurnace than their car payment, especialy if there is one or more points on their record.

I have no points and currently pay a lot for insurance since so many cars are on our policy...so...being I would be offloading a few, I think it would even out...lol

and by kid I mean, 17, will be 18 in 3 months, which is when my insurance agent told me rates would drop.

Oh yeah the insurance on any thing that has WRX in the name goes through the roof. I'm 24 and my 05 Sti's insurance is $180 a month. I've only had 1 ticket due to not stopping "properly" at a stop sign. I might as well add pics while I'm here.

sorry if they are huge....

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o113/solidboosttsi/conquest%20blown%20motor/cherry.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o113/solidboosttsi/conquest%20blown%20motor/mya.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o113/solidboosttsi/conquest%20blown%20motor/sti-3.jpg

-Chips

By the way... you can easily break a WRX 5-Speed on a STOCK unmodified car if you just happen to throw it in to gear the wrong way. #1 problem with WRX's. STi's on the other hand got the gift of a 6 speed with enough metal content to melt down and make 2 Evo 6-speed trannies. The stock STi 6 speed is about the size of a TH400. :D it weighs about the same too :P

Edited by Bag-O-Chips

I like older WRX wagons. Wouldn't mind an '02 wagon with an '07 nose, some Rally Armor mud guards, a rally light pod, and Prodrive springs on stock STi struts. That's enough for me.

I'd get an older GC-body Impreza, or Legacy. One of my older brothers had a '97 Legacy GT wagon, man was that thing sporty. ^_^

I've owned four Subarus and loved them all. From my first car, an 85 Subaru XT, to my last, a 2000 2.5RS. I bought a WRX when they came out in 02 and had some fun in the car, but the earlier WRXs just weren't quick enough IMHO. I am not 100% sure on what year they made the change, but at some point they went from the 2.0 to the 2.5, which is only a few mods from being an STI. They also put the 2.5 in the Legacy GTs and Forester XTs, the Legacy wagon being what I kick myself for not buying (bought a TL instead, mainly so I wouldn't mod it and just have a daily driver.) If I lived somewhere that got more snow, I would have to have another Subie. You almost hope for snow cause they're so much fun to throw around. Being from FL, you don't seem to need that as an option, but even on wet roads, you've still got an edge on most everyone else.

If you are looking to do minor mods and keep it more as a daily car, I'd say it's a great choice. Sure everyone has one, or knows what it is, but sometimes there are advantages to that (especially in a daily car). They get decent gas mileage, depending on how you drive it, they're pretty dependable, and they're a lot of fun to drive, which means the most if you ask me.

I love this first video, and the second one is a very good demonstration, I think someone on here actually posted it.

Edited by Tater

Bag-O-Chips, that car is just plain sexy. I need to find me one...haha.

And, yokomosQuest, I like that wagon too...like the blacking out in the front too. Not a wagon fan, but, that ones okay in my book...lol

i owned a 2006 WRX TR and loved it. i put an OEM 20MM rear sway bar i got from subie it only cost $89.

made it handle a lot better than the 17mm stocker. loved that car would get another in a second!

only pic i could find at the moment...

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q299/I-W/Subie/subie_snow.jpg

Edited by importwarrior

i owned a 2006 WRX TR and loved it. i put an OEM 20MM rear sway bar i got from subie it only cost $89.

made it handle a lot better than the 17mm stocker. loved that car would get another in a second!

only pic i could find at the moment...

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q299/I-W/Subie/subie_snow.jpg

Really? A sway bar only cost $89? Wow...liking them more already. Haha. And, nice subie...I'm assuming you sold that one?

And, Tater...didn't even see your post, but, thanks for your insight. So far, I haven't heard any bad things about them unless you start modding them like crazy. Being thats not my intention...sounds like a car for me :)

Now to find one...preferably a Silver one or a WRB one...I will never own another black car. lol.

But...I still gotta do a test drive, or even just get a ride in one. There's a guy around the corner here in Hanover that has an STI that I may go annoy into taking me for a spin :P