Stanley McChrystal Fired...

Minagera

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/us_and_canada/10395402.stm

Wow, not that isn't so much of a surprise as of recent events, but dang man.

Thoughts?

He has the right to say those things, and they are most likely accurate, BUT he is a highly ranked soldier in the Presidents Armed Forces that should respect his leader whether or not he agrees with him. The President is only as strong as his country and country men. Obama acted properly and the General respectfully quit his position....

It was well played out.

the truly sad part here is that the best place to get news about america is the bbc.

True.. Brits generally have to find ways to make fun of us Yanks to feel better about themselves and where they live. I love Top Gear but they really bash on the US and sometimes its annoying. I remember me and a friend of mine played against a couple of guys from the UK in Halo over Xbox live and we crushed them. So after the game where they were showing the stats and we started the usual trash talking all they could do was bring up President Bush lol.

McChrystal wasn't exactly a good dude. He was allegedly involved in the Pat Tillman cover up, has been accused of torturing prisoners, and has made lots of political remarks/moves that were out of line. To his credit he has tons of experience and has made a lot of key allies in the middle east, so him leaving will almost certainly be a significant loss to the war effort. I'm not exactly sad to see him go, but the ripple effect of him leaving remains to be seen.

My question now is Gen. McChrystal an insubordinate jackass or was he acting out because he knows there are serious issues with how the war is being conducted in Afghanistan? He definitely had a history of pushing his luck like this, but it's hard to believe he would do something like this without reason.

He has the right to say those things, and they are most likely accurate, BUT he is a highly ranked soldier in the Presidents Armed Forces that should respect his leader whether or not he agrees with him. The President is only as strong as his country and country men. Obama acted properly and the General respectfully quit his position....

It was well played out.

That's just it, He DID NOT have the right to say those things.

There is such a thing as the Military Code of Conduct which prohibits him from saying any of that.

I proudly served my Commander and Chief regardless of my opinion of him and I expect everyone that has been sworn to serve this country to do the same while in active duty.

I would have dropped all of my support for Obama if he hadn't have relieved him of his duty.

Insubordination by a general can not be allowed.

He's lucky he doesn't face a Court Marshal.

ya knowwwwwwwwwwwww? generals aint learn 'resistant' folks, now, this guy knew what he said was gonna get posted, I cant help but wonder whats up.

Like he knows something we dont, what if he knew he was getting set up as the bad general when American boys didnt come home on time next year?

he wanted out, for what ever reason

And this is exactly why complaints are supposed go up and down in the Military, not sideways. You guys speculating about what he knows and why he wanted out is just what the president and the country doesn't need, and just what McChrystal caused. You don't have to "suspect" generals know something you don't. You can count on it. They receive the highest level briefings this country produces; briefings mere TS/SCI holders like myself will never be privy to. What's worse is that he undermined the president's authority, and validated the fears the troops in Afghanistan surely already had; that they were on a BS mission that their leaders didn't believe in. It's bad enough for them to watch their buddies die when they think what they're doing is the most important thing in the world, and that their leaders and the rest of the civilized world are 100% behind them. What he did was cause them to think their leaders do NOT believe in the mission, and the effects of that are pure cancerous hate and discontent in any unit. McChrystal should be punished under the articles of the UCMJ specifically for what he did to their morale. By publicly displaying dissension like that, to a president who did what he asked him to do no less, McChrystal brought shame on the United States military, and put a stain on his career that history will not ever forget. Every American should be offended by his actions, because they further endanger the lives of troops already directly in harms way every day. This issue has absolutely nothing to do with the validity of McChrystal and his staff's comments. You can think what you want about what he said. The issue is that you know what he said, and you shouldn't. Neither should I. Wherever you hear them, the discussions about whether his comments were true or false are misguided and beside the point. Don't let people distract you from the real point. Generals, and all military officers, complain UP the chain and ONLY up the chain, and that's all there is to it. Complaining to your men about what your boss is making them all do is childish, pathetic, and counter to the good order and discipline of the military. Edited by chiplee

And this is exactly why complaints are supposed go up and down in the Military, not sideways. You guys speculating about what he knows and why he wanted out is just what the president and the country doesn't need, and just what McChrystal caused. You don't have to "suspect" generals know something you don't. You can count on it. They receive the highest level briefings this country produces; briefings mere TS/SCI holders like myself will never be privy to. What's worse is that he undermined the president's authority, and validated the fears the troops in Afghanistan surely already had; that they were on a BS mission that their leaders didn't believe in. It's bad enough for them to watch their buddies die when they think what they're doing is the most important thing in the world, and that their leaders and the rest of the civilized world are 100% behind them. What he did was cause them to think their leaders do NOT believe in the mission, and the effects of that are pure cancerous hate and discontent in any unit. McChrystal should be punished under the articles of the UCMJ specifically for what he did to their morale. By publicly displaying dissension like that, to a president who did what he asked him to do no less, McChrystal brought shame on the United States military, and put a stain on his career that history will not ever forget. Every American should be offended by his actions, because they further endanger the lives of troops already directly in harms way every day. This issue has absolutely nothing to do with the validity of McChrystal and his staff's comments. You can think what you want about what he said. The issue is that you know what he said, and you shouldn't. Neither should I. Wherever you hear them, the discussions about whether his comments were true or false are misguided and beside the point. Don't let people distract you from the real point. Generals, and all military officers, complain UP the chain and ONLY up the chain, and that's all there is to it. Complaining to your men about what your boss is making them all do is childish, pathetic, and counter to the good order and discipline of the military.

Excellent post. One doesn't reach the level he did by being tactically unsound. He knew exactly what he was doing, what he wanted to accomplish and how to go about it. We just don't know what his goal was/is yet.

His actions were simply impetuously insubordinate.

he could be taking the ' Clair Chunault' route

Clair Cunault left the American service to be hired by the Chinese to develop the Flying Tigers

He might leave the American service just to be hired by the Afganistan Government to develop the army there, it sounds like they sure like him over there

Edited by Bill Hincher