surface rust inside gas tank

I could use a kit like Por 15 to remove the rust, but I'm concerned I won't do the job right. Am I better off taking the tank to a mac's radiator shop to have it cleaned and sealed?

The price is what concerns me the most. Por 15 only costs $73.25, whereas Mac's quoted me $225 and 7-10 days to get the job done. From what I've seen, it only takes a couple days to do the job yourself.

Opinions?

Cleaned and sealed is the right way to go... then you'll never have to worry about it again, until the car sits for a long time... haha. The kit will do an ok job, but won't be able to get it cleaned like opening it up would. There's always going to be the chance of surface rust on the inside of a steel tank, as long as you've replaced all your filters, you should be ok.

There's some places in Beaverton that do this sort of thing, have you called around and checked prices??

-Robert

www.gastankrenu.com

They did my wife's tank and it was in very bad shape. They did an awesome job and it came with a lifetime warranty for $250. They have locations across the country, so maybe they have one close to you.

Pull out the sending unit and the pickup tube and use some degreaser and a pressure washer and you'll be surprised. If you want rust removed there are chemicals you spray on then use a stainless steel brush on and the rust wipes away ask your auto body/paint parts store. Naval Jelly will also remove rust.

Aw, closest place is in California... dumb hippies gettin the good stuff.

Indiana, that's why I mentioned the POR-15. I just don't know if I can get the rust out of places where I can't see it; how will I know I got all the rust? I don't want to have to change fuel filters, lines, and pump every 3 months cause of rust, you know?

por15 is not a good idea on a gas tank

as for light rust ,any acid will eat the rust ,, the problem with any use of acid is it removes the protective coating on the internal metal of the tank,, so it will form rust again very quickly if left empty for any time at all,

radiator shops use a form of apoxy to coat the surface on the interior of the tank,, you MUST alow it to be 100% cure'd befor placeing fuel in the tank,, if the coating is not completely dry and cure'd it will turn into a jell an plug up every part of the fuel system , pumps, filters, lines, and injs all will be useless

and once that happens even left to dry for a year will still not be hard

I was looking at this product that POR-15 offers:

http://www.por15.com/FUEL-TANK-REPAIR-KIT/productinfo/FTRK/

That POR-15 kit works fine for the tank. I used one on mine. I did sandblast as much of the rust out as possible then I did the kit. You could do the whole thing in a day pretty easily, but it takes 4 days before you can put fuel in it. You'll be tired when it's all said and done because you have to flip the tank around with each treatment for like 20 minutes each. Make damn sure you dry it out completely... And I do mean completely before you do the final treatment with the rust sealer.

I took my tank to one of those tankrenu places and they wanted $450 to do it. Yeah, that didn't happen. I couldn't find a radiator shop that would do it either so the POR-15 kit saved my day for $75. Looks good in there, lol.

GL with yours.

SEM rust mort

remove the tank

shake some pea gravel around inside to get rid of the big stuff a scale with it you can

use a degreaser for sludge buildup empty rinse and then

dump some Isopropyl alcohol to rinse and remove moisture

thoughtfully dry and use the rust-mort

you don't want paint,

only a chemical conversion or an epoxy coating.

Look at the prices for used gas tanks.

Edited by starion_cult