Vote For Me!

MoltoMario

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two quick things...

1. Firstly, just to comment, I road-race, and it seems to me that while lowered is pretty good, the way some of these cars seem to basically 'sit' on their wheels with the fenders, it does not leave much room for suspension travel, really. When I hit a rumble strip, it causes my wheels to deflect a bit. If my cars were that low, I think i'd do fender damage, maybe not, but it just seems that way.

Camber increases negatively during the compression stroke.

Mine can compress fully, with a few millimeters of tire-to-fender clearance at any given time.

Camber increases negatively during the compression stroke.

Mine can compress fully, with a few millimeters of tire-to-fender clearance at any given time.

So does mine, except at full lock on the front

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10030/P5080334.jpg

Haha. My fricking Honda Civic has 235s all the way around.

How in the heck is this "proper"

235's, you're doin it rig... wait, what?? Civic. You're doing it wrong.

Were those 235's on in those latest pics you took??

-Robert

Maybe so, but I bet you wish it was faster. ;)

Nah, I'm into show, not go. Not with cars anyway. If I want to go fast, I'll buy another sportbike.

In fact, my next SQ will be getting massive body modifacation and full air ride. All of the mods will take up lots of room, so the last thing to go in will be an engine. That engine will be determined by how much room I have left in the bay. If there's only enough room left for a 3 cyl. Metro engine, then that's what it will get.

aftermarket wheels on a quest is not a bad thing if done properly but too put a front wheel drive rim with a tire thats too small too me just looks silly

aftermarket wheels on a quest is not a bad thing if done properly but too put a front wheel drive rim with a tire thats too small too me just looks silly

Good thing it's his car and not yours. ;)

Really, wether you like the look or not, go register and vote for him. Any press for the SQs is good press and gets people to know the cars more.

If you don't like the look, just pretend its an ugliest wheel/tire contest. If it were, what would you rather see win, a SQ or some other kind of car that none of us care anything about anyway?

hmm i didnt know the cobra was fwd. you learn something new every day. *sarcasm*

The style of a more flush mounting style was more commonly referred to a "FWD offset wheel" at it's inception because only the front wheel drive (for the most part) cars used them. When looking for replacement rims, if you wanted a dished wheel, you asked for RWD offset, more flush...FWD offset. SQ were known as one of the few cars to have a staggered FWD front rim set, and a RWD rear rim.

Old habits are hard to break.

JR

Edited by jolyrgr

The style of a more flush mounting style was more commonly referred to a "FWD offset wheel" at it's inception because only the front wheel drive (for the most part) cars used them. When looking for replacement rims, if you wanted a dished wheel, you asked for RWD offset, more flush...FWD offset. SQ were known as one of the few cars to have a staggered FWD front rim set, and a RWD rear rim.

Old habits are hard to break.

JR

That doesnt make any sense whatsoever.

That doesnt make any sense whatsoever.

Let me clarify then.....

In the 80's and 90's when looking for another set of wheels for your car, a more positive offset was referred to as a FWD offset, because it was the FWD cars that used it predominately. A neutral or negative offset was referred to as RWD for that same reasoning. A lot of "us" that drove and purchased wheels during that time period, still refer to them that way, even tho the styles no longer reflect the same pattern.

JR

BTW I did vote

Edited by jolyrgr

regardless of poke or stance, the wheels are just plain too big. it makes it look like a monster truck.

It may have had a better stance if he used a 35 series instead of 40. Im using a 255/35 on my 10.5 rear and it doesnt look that high, plus the fact that those wheels are pretty flat faced.

235's, you're doin it rig... wait, what?? Civic. You're doing it wrong.

Were those 235's on in those latest pics you took??

-Robert

I don't know.... You guys can hate my Honda all day long (I know it's not a sports car) but I'm not the one putting skinny tires on my wide wheels and talking about diffusers on an otherwise stock aerodynamic equipped car.

I'd really like to go toe to toe with some of these "hella flush" Starquest at an auto-x course in my stupid Honda. Too bad all the local guys like wheels and tires that fit.

Edited by Focus

I don't know.... You guys can hate my Honda all day long (I know it's not a sports car) but I'm not the one putting skinny tires on my wide wheels and talking about diffusers on an otherwise stock aerodynamic equipped car.

I'd really like to go toe to toe with some of these "hella flush" Starquest at an auto-x course in my stupid Honda. Too bad all the local guys like wheels and tires that fit.

Yes, because personal preference in terms of daily rollers becomes a requirement that no other rim/tire combo can be used, ever. Gotcha.

Your lack of reading comprehension skills astound me.

Yes, because personal preference in terms of daily rollers becomes a requirement that no other rim/tire combo can be used, ever. Gotcha.

Your lack of reading comprehension skills astound me.

So you admit that hella flush isn't good for performance?

I just can't understand putting wide wheels on a car to run tires the are smaller than what I run on a Civic.

That's pretty stupid if you ask me.

It depends bro. And honestly, I don't remember where anyone in this thread said that less tire would be more beneficial in a circuit type setting. You brought that up, yes?

With SQ's, I could run a 17x13" rim with a 285/35 tire in the rear. Stretched? Yeah. Skinny tire? Hardly.

If a car is known to only be able to fit say a 245 width tire(due to fender and suspension limits), but the owner personally prefers the rims to not be sunken in so they put the 245 on a 10" wide rim. What's the harm?

Do you have to drive it, or even deal with it in any way other than to click on a topic(by your own choosing BTW) and see a pic?

Those 235's you run aren't the best idea in a snowy climate(in which you reside). If someone called you a retard for it, does that mean its true? Or just perhaps, you like everyone else probably understands that these things are situationally dependent and you might(like most people) have a set of winter tires in a different size and compound than your wider summer ones.

Also, the "my civic vs your flush SQ" is beyond comical. Different cars, drivers and tire profiles/compounds? Really dude? If you wish to gather actual data on your argument, use the same car, driver, and change nothing but the rim widths(minus a probable weight penalty for the wider rim). Once that is done, you still only find out what that particular driver on that particular stage/course likes and what setup compliments his/her driving style. I know people who are faster with smaller diameter rims, than they are with larger ones and vice versa.

Personal preference, that's what it boils down to each and every time.

Edited by JustPaus_88TSi

hmm i didnt know the cobra was fwd. you learn something new every day. *sarcasm*

fwd look hows that sorry i should have clarafied myself my point is no lip wheels on a quest dont look right just my opionion what ever someone does to there car is his/her buisness im sure some ppl dont like the looks of my rims or summin else

It depends bro. And honestly, I don't remember where anyone in this thread said that less tire would be more beneficial in a circuit type setting. You brought that up, yes?

With SQ's, I could run a 17x13" rim with a 285/35 tire in the rear. Stretched? Yeah. Skinny tire? Hardly.

If a car is known to only be able to fit say a 245 width tire(due to fender and suspension limits), but the owner personally prefers the rims to not be sunken in so they put the 245 on a 10" wide rim. What's the harm?

Do you have to drive it, or even deal with it in any way other than to click on a topic(by your own choosing BTW) and see a pic?

Those 235's you run aren't the best idea in a snowy climate(in which you reside). If someone called you a retard for it, does that mean its true? Or just perhaps, you like everyone else probably understands that these things are situationally dependent and you might(like most people) have a set of winter tires in a different size and compound than your wider summer ones.

Also, the "my civic vs your flush SQ" is beyond comical. Different cars, drivers and tire profiles/compounds? Really dude? If you wish to gather actual data on your argument, use the same car, driver, and change nothing but the rim widths(minus a probable weight penalty for the wider rim). Once that is done, you still only find out what that particular driver on that particular stage/course likes and what setup compliments his/her driving style. I know people who are faster with smaller diameter rims, than they are with larger ones and vice versa.

Personal preference, that's what it boils down to each and every time.

Are you really that bent out of shape for me having my opinion on a fad (yes, it's a fad)?

I'm just of the school of thought that if you are going to mod something on your car why not make the car better in the process? Or at least keep it the same. Doesn't mean you or anyone else has to agree with me but the second you post something online you have to expect someone to have an opinion on it. Sometimes it's good. Sometimes it's bad. It's how the world works.

As far as the skinny tire thing I clearly meant compared to the wheel. I'm not saying a 225 is skinny. I'm saying it's skinny on a nine inch wheel.

The only reason I brought up my Civic is because folks have a habit around here for saying Honda's suck regardless. Yes...they are different cars, with different tires, wheels, etc. etc. etc..... But that is EXACTLY my point. My car with it's current set up would do better around most auto x courses than a hella flush quest with the same driver. I'm comparing one car with one set up to another car with another set up for a reason. Any my reading skills suck?

Jesus man....

And as far as me clicking this thread was my choice.... You had a choice to read my response. I'm not mad for the OP posting what he posted but you seem to have a sandy ****** over me expressing my opinion. It's funny how it's freedom of speech until I say something you don't like.

Edited by Focus

Are you really that bent out of shape for me having my opinion on a fad (yes, it's a fad)?

Do you see me bent out of shape? Am I defending something(the "fad") I personally care about? Nope.

I'm just of the school of thought that if you are going to mod something on your car why not make the car better in the process?

Better to you and someone else is the same? Nope. Personal preference.

This is where you took the wrong turn. You say something isn't as good for performance as something else, when nobody said anything to the contrary to begin with.

Your "better for cornering" is just as meaningful as someone elses "it looks better". You're arguing points when you didn't understand the initial concepts.

Or at least keep it the same. Doesn't mean you or anyone else has to agree with me but the second you post something online you have to expect someone to have an opinion on it. Sometimes it's good. Sometimes it's bad. It's how the world works.

Kind of like my response to your opinion? Exactly, try again.

Here's how you make your opinion nearly argument proof.

"I personally think it looks like crap, and your setup has to be detrimental to handling performance for any kind of serious driving beyond hard-parking and drifting."

But that's not what you did, and here we are now.

As far as the skinny tire thing I clearly meant compared to the wheel. I'm not saying a 225 is skinny. I'm saying it's skinny on a nine inch wheel.

Yep, reading comprehension on your behalf again. What did I say? 285 on a 13" wide rim. Comparitively skinny. And since I feel like being technical, a 285mm(11.22") on a 13" is stretched quite a bit more than a 225mm(8.86") on a 9".

The only reason I brought up my Civic is because folks have a habit around here for saying Honda's suck regardless.

Yeah, that's prevalent around here, same with mustangs. I didn't see anything mentioned about it until you brought it up however.

Yes...they are different cars, with different tires, wheels, etc. etc. etc..... But that is EXACTLY my point. My car with it's current set up would do better around most auto x courses than a hella flush quest with the same driver. I'm comparing one car with one set up to another car with another set up for a reason.

Okay, and my lexus will absolutely rape your civic in a course setting, while using the same width tires you do. So what if I run more than twice the power/torque at the wheels than you do at the crank? Completely different ball game. Or how about we run identical cars, you get street tires and i'll have soft sticky race compounds? Cool? Exactly, there's no point in those comparisons. You're attempting to debate the effects of stretched tires versus non-stretched, and in such a comparison you must have many more constants than variables. How do you not understand that? What was the defining item? The tire, car or driver? You would have no idea. What can you possibly learn barring such elementary things? Not a single thing other than who drives better. Was that the argument to begin with? Nope. I've seen a civic hatch absolutely murder stock Z06's, EVO's, STI's and 911's on a road course. Does that mean the civic>the others? God no. It means that the civic's performance was due to it pushing over 400whp and weighing 1K pounds less than them on top of the $2-3K suspension setup. That's not even counting the huge variable that is the driver.

Any my reading skills suck?

Yes, when it comes to objectivity, absolutely yes. My initial response was towards the diffuser comment, but I decided against it.

Jesus man....

And as far as me clicking this thread was my choice.... You had a choice to read my response. I'm not mad for the OP posting what he posted but you seem to have a sandy ****** over me expressing my opinion. It's funny how it's freedom of speech until I say something you don't like.

Show me where I even attempted to hint at surpressing any of your freedoms other than allowing unfounded and baseless drivel to spew from your keyboard in an unrestrained manner. It's all fun and games until someone makes you smell your own excrement, isn't it?

Post garbage and I will call you on it. It's that simple.

Edited by JustPaus_88TSi

Do you see me bent out of shape? Am I defending something(the "fad") I personally care about? Nope.

Sure looks like it to me but I will go ahead and give you the benefit of the doubt since it's hard to tell the feeling behind words online.

Better to you and someone else is the same? Nope. Personal preference.

This is where you took the wrong turn. You say something isn't as good for performance as something else, when nobody said anything to the contrary to begin with.

Your "better for cornering" is just as meaningful as someone elses "it looks better". You're arguing points when you didn't understand the initial concepts.

After reading this I really don't even know how to proceed. You went wrong in thinking I am trying to change someone's mind on what they should or should not do to their car. I'm simply sharing my thoughts on the subject and you are taking my opinion as fact.

That said... I still hold that tire stretching does not make a car perform better. Sure...maybe that's not what's being discussed specifically but it's what I am talking about. I'm sharing my thoughts and that's it. You don't have to care (but you obviously do) just like I don't have to care about tire stretching. I'm just sharing my thoughts.

Kind of like my response to your opinion? Exactly, try again.

Here's how you make your opinion nearly argument proof.

"I personally think it looks like crap, and your setup has to be detrimental to handling performance for any kind of serious driving beyond hard-parking and drifting."

But that's not what you did, and here we are now.

I'm sorry I didn't spell it out for you. Next time I'll be more specific so I don't upset you any longer.

Yep, reading comprehension on your behalf again. What did I say? 285 on a 13" wide rim. Comparitively skinny. And since I feel like being technical, a 285mm(11.22") on a 13" is stretched quite a bit more than a 225mm(8.86") on a 9".

Again...not even sure what to say to you. What do you want me to say?

Yeah, that's prevalent around here, same with mustangs. I didn't see anything mentioned about it until you brought it up however.

YES. I BROUGHT IT UP. I NEVER SAID I DIDN'T BRING IT UP. DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE WORDS THAT ARE COMING OUT OF MY MOUTH (FINGERS?)

But I brought it up because you dicknuts are always bashing Honda's every chance you get calling people who mod them ricers and then go and talk about doing all this dumb s*** to you car that won't make a single bit of difference and just looks cool.

I don't care but it's farging annoying to read time and time again so I'm just returning the favor.

Okay, and my lexus will absolutely rape your civic in a course setting, while using the same width tires you do. So what if I run more than twice the power/torque at the wheels than you do at the crank? Completely different ball game. Or how about we run identical cars, you get street tires and i'll have soft sticky race compounds? Cool? Exactly, there's no point in those comparisons. You're attempting to debate the effects of stretched tires versus non-stretched, and in such a comparison you must have many more constants than variables. How do you not understand that? What was the defining item? The tire, car or driver? You would have no idea. What can you possibly learn barring such elementary things? Not a single thing other than who drives better. Was that the argument to begin with? Nope. I've seen a civic hatch absolutely murder stock Z06's, EVO's, STI's and 911's on a road course. Does that mean the civic>the others? God no. It means that the civic's performance was due to it pushing over 400whp and weighing 1K pounds less than them on top of the $2-3K suspension setup. That's not even counting the huge variable that is the driver.

And your point is....

My point is that dude bashing my car when they have a car that doesn't perform as well is stupid. I'm not bashing your Lexus. If I were then you bring it up would be valid.

But again...I know I am not going to make any headway.

This post is exactly why I never post here any longer and why I lost my general interest in all things Starquest anyways. Seriously...there are so many know it all south end of a north bound donkeys on this site that just want to bash everything else and just jerk each other off at idea of a low tech motor from the mid eighties pushing an otherwise lackluster amount of horsepower.

AHHHHH. Seriously....can I just get banned from this worthless website so I don't have to worry about saying something that gets over sensitive folks like yourself all wound up for giving my thoughts on something.

Seriously...you are a douche bag.

Edited by Focus

Tell you what. Don't even bother giving me your bullstinky response.

I'm logging out and I won't be coming back. This is a waste of my time.

Edited by Focus