clutch

miamipops

I have an 88 esir and in need of a clutch. Took her to a trani shop and have a estimate of $600.00 for clutch and install. I have never installed a clutch myself but this seems a little high. Ebay has clutches for $150.00. Am I paying $450.00 in labor?

Lets hear your advice............................ :wacko: :excl:

When i first got my Starion, and didn't know anything about cars, i had a shop put a clutch in and it cost me 300.00 total, 150.00 for the clutch, a LuK. What is the going labor rate where your at? I think it pays 3 hours shop labor to put a clutch in a Starion but i'm not 100% sure. I know the labor rates are a lot higher some places.

You also have to figure in having the flywheel resurfaced, a good shop should always do that.

As far as putting the clutch in yourself, it depends on your level of experience with mechanics and what tools you have or can borrow.

I have an 88 esir and in need of a clutch. Took her to a trani shop and have a estimate of $600.00 for clutch and install. I have never installed a clutch myself but this seems a little high. Ebay has clutches for $150.00. Am I paying $450.00 in labor?

Lets hear your advice............................ :wacko: :excl:

I can tell you right now, if you take this car to a shop for every wear item that needs replaced, you are going to be broke real quick. I don't presume to know your mechanical abilities, but these cars will take a lot of D.I.Y ability to be able to afford to keep it on the road. As basic as things are to fix (thanks to sites like this and 2.6 liter), shops tend to dislike working on these cars, or just don't want to take the time to find the right way to solve a problem.

That being said...comparing the Ebay clutch to the one your shop wants to install may not be a fair comparison. They may have a kit that includes more parts, better materials, resurfacing work, service of the transmission, warranties on the work...etc. I am sure there is a generous amount figured in for labor, but you need to take a look at the list of things you are getting for the quote.

Now if you do like most of the older (longer term) members here and tackle this yourself, you are going to save yourself quite a bit of money (or be able to invest in a few more repairs) and possibly find a few other things that can easily be fixed while you are working. If you have all the parts you need ahead of time, and maybe a buddy to help, this should be a weekend job at worst, an afternoon at best. There is one member here that can drop a trans out by himself, without a lift, in just less than 30min. With the information on the sites, this job is definitely possible for even a novice with basic mechanic abilities. I say, get a few phone numbers, get a buddy, get it off the ground and get it done yourself.

JR

Edited by jolyrgr

The first trans and clutch I put in my car took us about 3 hours. But, when we found that tranny was bad, got another, put her up on a lift, and had the trans swapped out in less than 30 minutes, and thats with two people working on it. The clutch may add another 30.

So...I can see that since they don't work on them everyday, but, once you do it once, its easy every other time.

Also, it was my first clutch job :P

But, if you do it yourself, find yourself a lift, it makes everything 100x easier.

A stock spec clutch you can get from ebay for less than 100.00 and two people can put it in if they have any skills at all in less than an hour.

Its not that hard people do NOT take the line off your slave cylinder and do NOT push the pedal until its all back together and no air gets in the system and you don't have to bleed it.

At least you can buy a clutch and have someone else install and get the LABOR estimate SEPARATELY before so you don't get screwed for some "total" that's not broken down. Its not hard to pull this tranny out and no you don't have to remove the console you can pull the boot and slip a wrench under the console and on top of the carpet and take the 4 bolts out of the shifter and leave it in the car.

You don't need to have your flywheel surfaced unless the disc ATE UP the surface and its just grinding. All they have to do it use some sandpaper on it or some type of friction disc on an air tool and then wipe all contact parts with solvent, the flywheel, the pressure plate and both sides of the disc. The pressure plate is coated with crap so it won't rust just like brake rotors are, the flywheel is going to be dirty and the disc wipe it just to be safe. Don't put grease all over the input shaft or it will just sling all over your disc, all it needs is a little then wipe it back off. Check fit the disc on your input shaft before you install it.

If I could get 900.00 to put a clutch in these cars I'd line them up and make a fortune.

If I could get 900.00 to put a clutch in these cars I'd line them up and make a fortune.

heck you could get the money, hire someone else to do the work and still walk away with $600 in your pocket for doing nothing. :lol:

Thanks for all the replies, we might just give this a shot. I am only worried that we do not have a lift. This does not seem like the kind of job to do on your back. Either way the $600.00 clutch is not gonna happen.

Thanks,

Pete

:unsure:

Thanks for all the replies, we might just give this a shot. I am only worried that we do not have a lift. This does not seem like the kind of job to do on your back. Either way the $600.00 clutch is not gonna happen.

Thanks,

Pete

:unsure:

I've never used a lift when doing a clutch. It's very easy. Remove the driveshaft, bellhousing bolts, starter, dust shield, slave cylinder, shifter, electrical and speedo cable. Then position yourself with your head towards the back of the car and your stomache under the trans pan. Remove the rear crossmember bolts then pull the trans away from the engine letting it fall onto your stomache when it's free from the clutch. Slide yourself out from under the trans carefully then pull it away so you can work on the clutch. It sounds dangerous but that's the way I do it and I've never hurt myself. To get it back in roll the trans back on top of you then bench press it into place. Keep the crossmember bolts handy because you need to put at least one bolt in before you can let go.

I've never used a lift when doing a clutch. It's very easy. Remove the driveshaft, bellhousing bolts, starter, dust shield, slave cylinder, shifter, electrical and speedo cable. Then position yourself with your head towards the back of the car and your stomache under the trans pan. Remove the rear crossmember bolts then pull the trans away from the engine letting it fall onto your stomache when it's free from the clutch. Slide yourself out from under the trans carefully then pull it away so you can work on the clutch. It sounds dangerous but that's the way I do it and I've never hurt myself. To get it back in roll the trans back on top of you then bench press it into place. Keep the crossmember bolts handy because you need to put at least one bolt in before you can let go.

Good advice but disconnect the battery as the second step...first step is to open the hood ;)

Jimmy

Jack up the back of the car first to remove the 4 driveshaft bolts on the torque tube flange then put it back on the ground, you have to put the front on some stands now for safety but leave the driveshaft stuck on the torquetube flange so you don't have gear oil running out on you or the ground and when you pull it off the motor leave the driveshaft stuck in the tranny so again the oil doesn't come out. That hardest part, or what might take the most time, is removing those 4 bolts from the shifter but its allot quicker than having to take the console out.

Bellhousing bolts come out if you about three 18" extensions and can get far back and get those upper bolts out but if you don't have that then go to Sears and get you a 14mm RATCHET WRENCH. Like a Microwave, you'll wonder how you ever did without them, get a 10mm and 12mm while you are there too. Those Kobalt ones are ok too but they give you crap when you try and exchange them if you ever break one.

you dont need a lift, even when i do have access to a lift i drop the car down to ground level cause i am so used to doing it that way.

i just did a clutch swap a few weeks ago.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b343/vcyberbob/barn/brake050.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b343/vcyberbob/barn/brake050.jpg

Man I didn't know you had BFGs on your car. With those old school white lettered BFGs it really does look like a Questang. :P

"old school" was the whole point of my car :lol: (those are 15 inch wheels and tires also :P )

Well it is nicely done and I've thought of doing the same paint scheme but reversing the colors.