Is it worth the time?

XADAMX

Hi I've heard that adding a 88-89 ECU from a conquest or Starion into my 1987 conquest can improve engine function. I would like to know if this is true? I'm mainly concerned with prlonging the life of the current engine in the car. An engine swap isnt in the cards economically right now but shouldnt b for a lonng time as it only has 68xxx miles. Thanks for your help -ADAM

88-89 ecus had an upgraded program with no fuel cut. I think that's the only difference. As far as engine life, that's up to you, your lead foot, how you maitain it and repair when needed. Edited by louswheel01

Pretty much what louswheel said. If your not so much into the whole go fast scene, and more into the just keeping it alive "driver" kind of guy...then leave the 87 ecu in there since it will be no advantage to you to upgrade. Upgrading to the 88-89 ecu is for people who want to run more boost without running into a fuel cut. It's just removing a roadblock on the way to horsepower alley.

if longjevity is what your after then as said you'l find no real advantage in swaping the ecus

in stock form these engine can and do 2-300k on the clock easily,, the main thing is replace the t-chain and guides in a timely manner , and keeping the engine cool and with good oil

The 88-89 ECU's still have a fuel cut, at 13psi in fact. It's when you add a 1G MAS that it goes away. About the only provision is the ability to read higher stock boost levels (11.5psi) and the ability to add a 3 port wastegate with the stock boost reference solenoid located on the MAS. You'd be better off adding an 88-89 knock box since the 87 plastic boxes break down internally over time.

• 4 years later...
I also feel adding an 88/89 ecu without the matching distributor is not worth the effort. Add in the 88/89 knock box as well and you'll be set if your looking for a performance boost. However, like above, if your just driving like a gentleman and nothings broken, don't change anything. Money better spent on things like maintenance I'd your worried about the long term.

So my car just turned off on me one day driving home, and it would crank but not start. I put a new coil in and it started but then it shut off after driving it for a little. The coil was under warranty and replaced it. It ran fine for 20 minutes and then turned off again. I found out that coil coil keeps shorting out and not producing spark. Will replacing the knock box fix the problem? If not, does anyone know what will?

ign system has few parts , but they all must work , the load for coil charging is carried by the

igniter , excludeing the wireing you have the dist pick up , the igniter box , coil and cap and wires

one poor connection can kill the entire systtem