400hp Build, Advice please!

I haven't. That is why I decided to go with the treadstone manifold--they responded to an ebay question within a few hours. Who the heck does that? lol.

In terms of my commute I'll be going max 60mph or so since it's a 55mph zone so my mileage should still be 25+, 30+ if I am using the stock gears.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SHP's also had slightly larger dia sway bars frt and back , nothing that a good set of shocks can't make up for unless your raceing off road

as for takeing some time it took me over 4 yrs to get my MPi collect'd and install'd

All 88-89's had the same size sways. 21mm fronts, 19mm rears as opposed to the 87 and belows 19mm/17mm combo.

UL mentioned years ago that the steering was different ratio wise.

Sweet. Either way the car needs some major work--some of which I was aware of, some of which I was expecting but hoping not, and some of which is pretty easy. The more complicated work will be cutting out and re-making some of the frame rail in the front as both sides are completely rotted out, along with small parts of both front floor boards and rocker panels/wheel wells. Of course both front wheel bearings are bad (expected) and the bald tire on the RF isn't passable either. Once i put a faux cat in the exhaust that'll pass so I'll save that for the exhaust work. It also needs new brake lines (going with star-orion stainless ones) and the fog lights and one of the reverse lights will not work...But I'm not too worried about that. All in all that's a pretty small list for a car that has been to heck and back.

Quick update, ordered my manifold from treadstone, t25 adapter from ebay, and are in the process of ordering the star-orion stainless brake lines as 3 of the 4 stockers are cracked/dry-rotted. Once I get paid for selling the shell and other parts from the focus I should have enough financial flexibility to order my coilovers, exhaust, charge piping, and FMIC. After that it's a matter of saving for body work and things should be pretty well on their way.

^^Thanks. I got the adapter in the mail today and I may need to just cut the t25 flange off and have someone professionally weld that on. It looks like it may be a headache otherwise. Either way it'll happen. The car will be going under the knife once I get another grand--need the exhaust, charge piping, and IC before I'm comfortable starting in on this.

• 2 weeks later...

^^I found someone to weld the flange on to the manifold. He's actually a friend of mine that I thought lived a couple hours away in the southern part of NH but it turns out he literally lives 3 minutes away from where I work. Talk about convenience. Now I just gotta get treadstone nailed down on a time...2 weeks ago when I ordered the manifold they said the backorder was a few weeks out (my thought being 3) and when I asked them a couple days ago they said it was STILL a few weeks out. Given the car won't pass inspection it's not a huge deal but I'm sure I would be a heck of a lot more motivated to get some work done if I had the parts in my possession.

I'm going to be ordering my ground control coilovers today hopefully. Just gotta send the guys selling them on Ebay a message so that its correctly configured for the struts I have.

Quick update...

I ordered the GC springs off ebay from the Gummygrip guys (the only ones who currently have these on ebay) and am going with the stock spring rate that is included with the GC kit (whatever that is...) and he is sizing the parts for the stock struts. I have NO idea how different the Mookeeh's are from the stock struts but unfortunately that is one of the companies GC has no data from so I don't know what adjustments I would need to make if any. Live and learn I guess. I also ordered a 38mm blue body external wg from Tial and a carbon exhaust canister with a 5.5" tip.

I'm also in the process of ordering a dumbed-down version of the star-orion exhaust system as I don't want him to weld a 3-bolt flange for the Dp (no use for this) nor the O2 sensor bungs (getting an extra for the wideband) and leaving the flex section non-welded or just tacked as that will most likely have to be modified to fit correctly. I should be ordering my 4" thick IC next week and will wait on the charge piping until I get everything else installed as that's a LOT of guesswork without most of the other things in place.

Glad to see this project finally getting started...Will start the teardown Friday most likely.

^^Quick update on the progress today...Not too much but I'm beat from all the other stuff I did around the house. Got all of the charge and inlet piping out along with the MAF and all other electronics on the inlet side. Looks like I gotta drain the oil and coolant and then I'll be good to start the removal process for the intake and exhaust stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
Received my cam in the mail today along with waiting on the exhaust to come in sometime late this week or early next week. I also received confirmation that treadstone will have the backordered manifolds in the mail in the next couple of weeks (finally!). I also ordered my 4" thick IC through a GP so as long as that comes through I'll be a very happy camper, should be in in a few weeks :).

All right. In the process of ordering all my charge piping as well. I was going to buy a premade kit from *DM but I found I can make my own for about half price. It probably won't fit as well but at least I made it myself, I can always buy one from him and listen to the I told you so's from everyone else lol.

Thanks to selling off some parts and getting a pretty substantial bonus at work, I've got what I believe to be about half of the money for my paint and body work for this beast. I'll be contacting my paint guy to get a rough estimate and if all goes well it'll be getting that work done over the course of this winter. I've still got $2,500 worth of parts to sell, most of which should go pretty quickly so I should have more than enough to cover that and tie up loose ends that I'm sure I'll come across (that and perhaps a roll cage but it depends on where the hoop would be located as I have a sunroof and I don't want it to interfere with the operation of that).

Made some solid progress yesterday. I got the rest of the IM off of the car along with the IC (what a PITA!!!) so all of the hot and cold side parts are off and ready for the new ones to go on. Once I get the IC I can at least get it mocked up in place and get the charge piping after the IC done. I'll take this time to do the driver's and passenger's side motor mounts while it's all exposed nicely. Anyone got any tips or tricks for this? Since the car is immobile it's hard to move it around so if there's a way to do it only from the top that'd be great.

Got the correct muffler (finally!) and am now just waiting on the IC and manifold. Sounds like the IC (or at least some of them for the GP) will be done tomorrow and should be shipped then or early next week. Still waiting on the manifold as it seems treadstone's standard response is "should be here in 1-2 weeks"...Got that a few times. Oh well.

• 2 weeks later...
Not sure if they are all sold already, but Treadstone just got (30) starion manifolds in stock--including mine--finally. I've been waiting since 5/17 for it but it should be in Thursday along with my *DM FMIC. On Friday, it's on. Lol.

Came to a decision regarding the turbo, I will be swapping it out. It's gonna be too much of a pain (not to mention a mortal sin) to hack apart a brand new treadstone manifold so it'll be a t3. Specs to be released later, keep watching ;).

Should be getting the wiring for the megasquirt done this weekend if all goes well.

I would but I did some research and I THINK that I got a good turbo selected for the car. It is 485hp capable but it is ball bearing with a smaller housing so it should spool quickly and take advantage of the SQ's great low-end torque. It's on order already but thanks for the offer.

I really can't wait to clean up the engine and do the final install on this stuff...Ought to be awesome.

Ah, what the heck...

I've got a Turbonetics 11021-BB on order, it's a t3-t4 hybrid turbo with a t3 exhaust housing, .63A/R, 62mm stage 5 turbine wheel, t04e 50 trim compressor wheel, ceramic ball bearing. Rated capable of 485hp on the website. I was gonna go with the 60 trim but it wasn't worth the couple hundred extra for slower spool time and an extra 25hp capability. This one was a grand from Jeg's and I think that's an awesome deal for that turbo.

What do you guys think?

^^Yeah ching chong meow parts FTW lol...Is it a good turbo for your setup? What else you got done?

^^Yeah ching chong meow parts FTW lol...Is it a good turbo for your setup? What else you got done?

It works real good for the money, I havent had a good ball bearing turbo in tho so I couldn't really compare the two.. And I got MPI, MegaSquirt and some engine work in progress..