Boost and Nitrous Questions

gsr-vr

Alright, here I have two questions. Ive been trying to search for answers and not really getting a solid on for my buddy.

My buddy just bought him a Quest "87" a few months ago. Im trying to help him do things safely as many mechanics do not enjoy working on these engines due to parts being difficult to locate.

1. How much boost can you run out of the stock turbo before you start pushing "hot air"? Im currently running 18 or so on my DD with the stock intercooler with no problems. They seem to be able to push a little more than a conventional t-25 off of a 4g63t and they are good up to around 18 I believe.

2. This is were things get real touchy, mainly because im scared of nitrous so I am of no help what so ever to him.

We need to know what is needed to safely run a 50-75 wet shot occasionly..IE: weekend track meet/ random street race and its needed.

The kit comes with WOT switch and a couple other things im not sure of. But I do know that you need to run colder plugs and retard the timing for nitrous. So here is where im needing advice.

What degree do you need to retard the timing?

When you retard it, do you lose any power doing so off the spray?

What kind of plugs do you need? "rather ask you guys than ask autozone guys what 2 step colder and so on"

What all safety features are required?

This is a bone stock car "minus hard pipe, bov, and 2.5" turbo back exhaust", it is mechanically sound with around 112k miles on it.

Im not completely new to nitrous, I have alot of friends that run it so ive learned about using only in WOT and above 3k RPM. Just wanting advice from other G54B owners with experience on non-jet heads. Ive already consulted him on "needing" a non-jet head for higher boost and reliability..but he is just stubborn and wanting to learn the hard way I guess.

Is high boost "20psi or so" and nitrous capable on a stock motor and non-jet head safely?

Thanks,

Joe

IMHO the 12A is good to 15 maybe 18PSI but I would say 15 is toping out the efficient range. And I would say no nitrus is not safe on a stock motor. Now before everyone jumps on me. I mean there is no room for error with the nitrus on a stock motor.

I would def consider better pump, better regulator, and a system that allows you to monitor what's going on and control timing. that way you only make the timing adjustments when on the juice.

NOS on a stock motor is crazy in my opinion... You are asking for it at 112k miles. I see a thrown rod in his future or a burnt piston..... don't do it my friend. not gonna end pretty. Better to boost than NOS

im 90% sure ull need a metal headgasket for one and 20psi and nitrous is pushing it pretty hard

Yeah thats what I figured. I deathly afraid of nitrous and I have a pretty decent set-up on my car, hell I wont even run it on my track only car.

Im going to print off this page and be like "that was 2 no's within 5 secs of posting haha"

But on the boost...Im running 18 or so and slams hard after about 12-14 all the way up to about 5500rpm, and im usually around 18-20psi.

Guess im pushing the turbo a little too hard huh? Im not sure how these turbo's are supposed to sound, I know it doesnt sound like any other turbo vehicle ive owned before with the faint whine. This sounds like a jet engine starting up from around 0-20psi. Is that normal?

If not I guess im in need of a new turbo. So I guess ill ask this question while on the topic...

Our manifolds are set up akward, I assume its a t3 flange the way it looks. Can you buy a regular DSM turbo upgrade "16g,18g etc" and it just bolt right in or will i need a flange adapter or TEP manifold?

Alright, here I have two questions. Ive been trying to search for answers and not really getting a solid on for my buddy.

My buddy just bought him a Quest "87" a few months ago. Im trying to help him do things safely as many mechanics do not enjoy working on these engines due to parts being difficult to locate.

1. How much boost can you run out of the stock turbo before you start pushing "hot air"? Im currently running 18 or so on my DD with the stock intercooler with no problems. They seem to be able to push a little more than a conventional t-25 off of a 4g63t and they are good up to around 18 I believe.

2. This is were things get real touchy, mainly because im scared of nitrous so I am of no help what so ever to him.

We need to know what is needed to safely run a 50-75 wet shot occasionly..IE: weekend track meet/ random street race and its needed.

The kit comes with WOT switch and a couple other things im not sure of. But I do know that you need to run colder plugs and retard the timing for nitrous. So here is where im needing advice.

What degree do you need to retard the timing?

When you retard it, do you lose any power doing so off the spray?

What kind of plugs do you need? "rather ask you guys than ask autozone guys what 2 step colder and so on"

What all safety features are required?

This is a bone stock car "minus hard pipe, bov, and 2.5" turbo back exhaust", it is mechanically sound with around 112k miles on it.

Im not completely new to nitrous, I have alot of friends that run it so ive learned about using only in WOT and above 3k RPM. Just wanting advice from other G54B owners with experience on non-jet heads. Ive already consulted him on "needing" a non-jet head for higher boost and reliability..but he is just stubborn and wanting to learn the hard way I guess.

Is high boost "20psi or so" and nitrous capable on a stock motor and non-jet head safely?

Thanks,

Joe

Hi,

I'm being running high boost and Nos for over 15 years. But I agree that 112k is pushing that engine don't forget with more power you need to add more fuel, and that is way to much boost to run and then Nitrous on top. What I did years ago is add more fuel injectors, secondary fuel computer and for safety added a Nitrous computer which will ensure fuel is up, retard my timing before firing the NOS. But I would definitely invest some more money on the engine before your friend does NOS on it.

Mike

When you talk about boost you are only talking about half the equation, and the stock manifold outlet is not T3. Flow is how you make power, turning up the boost without opening up the turbine side is going to kill your headgasket (if you're lucky) or worse. Open up the turbine side and you don't have to push as much to make power.

Scott

I would not spray with out at the MIN I would pull the head and make sure its good and put a new head gasket on it and put arp studs on it as well. And I would run Race Gas mix if your going on a stock motor. It can be done on and all stock motor but need to be careful and don't need the car working. as it might just let go.

His 87 clutch is about to slip the way it is and the tranny isn't going to take that abuse either.

Get another motor and built it and an 88/89 transmission and you'll need a clutch and an 88/89 or aluminum flywheel.

The motor is stock?, its untouched and the deck is low in the middle and that's going to blow the headgasket the first time you spray it.

In won't matter if jet valves are there or not.

Just do it... Give it 50 to start. Its not a question of if something is going to go, more a question of when. Once he hits the button the first time he will be hooked. The addition of an Msd box you can add timing retard triggered by the nitrous switch as well as when boost increases. at 112k things are going to need fixing/replacing anyway.

Have some fun.

A friend will talk you out of something crazy, I good friend will call SHOTGUN!

Just do it... Give it 50 to start. Its not a question of if something is going to go, more a question of when. Once he hits the button the first time he will be hooked. The addition of an Msd box you can add timing retard triggered by the nitrous switch as well as when boost increases. at 112k things are going to need fixing/replacing anyway.

Have some fun.

A friend will talk you out of something crazy, I good friend will call SHOTGUN!

lol That's so true! I knew of a guy in LA spanking on everything that came his way in a Mercuri Capri pushing extra boost and a huge shot of nitrous!

I don't know why a 50 wet shot of nitrous would be so bad on a StarQuest.

Edited by louswheel01