One Stupid O-Ring ...

Dave-O

Well this was short-lived ...

There is pressure in the coolant system as soon as I crank the engine, which tells me the headgasket is done -_- There's also a leak off the water tube that runs across the back of the head and goes to the heater core - I've cut my hand and wrist just trying to get down there with a screwdriver to tighten it, and I've tightened it down to the point where it skips teeth if I turn any further. I've tried two known good hoses and it still leaks.

To top it off, there's an intermittent electrical failure causing the ignition to cut as well as all the lights.

Needless to say I'm not happy. I'm broke and jobless, and this is my only car now. Perfect.

Needless to say I'm not happy. I'm broke and jobless, and this is my only car now. Perfect.

NOW you are truly a Starion owner.

Welcome to the Hotel Starquest, you can check out anytime you like... but you can never leave...

-Robert

Wait a minute, you didn't drain the coolant and you have the throttlebody removed and you think that just because you crank the motor over and coolant comes up out of the intake where you removed the throttlebody that means the headgasket is blown? Hello, the water pump is turning and blowing that coolant out and since the thermostat is closed that means the coolant takes the round about way out the front passage on the side of the head and runs past the CTS in that tube that is cast into the underside of the intake then through the throttlebody and exits out the back of the head and into the bypass tube for this short round and round path until the thermostat opens and sends coolant also to the radiator. There is coolant also from the rear of the head but before it reaches the bypass tube it passes through the heater core. What you observed would be normal if you remove the throttlebody and didn't drain the coolant.

The throttle body is still on the car. Unless I'm mistaken, it's not normal for a car to spit coolant out the radiator fill neck [which is past the thermostat] just by cranking it. I'm assuming the thermostat is good, I replaced it before even putting the engine in the car.

Coolant is only coming out of the throttle body when it gets up to operating temperature, it's leaking past the gasket.

I guess I'll try fixing everything else first, and if there's still an overheating problem, I'll replace the headgasket as well.

Okay, did a little more poking and prodding in daylight ...

... I left the radiator cap off the car while starting it - it shot a 7-foot tall stream of coolant out the fill neck. Don't tell me that's how it's supposed to be :blink:

After getting the car started with the cap on, I found the source of the compression leak - right beneath exhaust ports 3 and 4 the gasket is shooting coolant and combustion pressure out toward the downpipe and manifold.

Guess I get to rip the head off the car already! Woo! :ph34r:

Okay, did a little more poking and prodding in daylight ...

... I left the radiator cap off the car while starting it - it shot a 7-foot tall stream of coolant out the fill neck. Don't tell me that's how it's supposed to be :blink:

After getting the car started with the cap on, I found the source of the compression leak - right beneath exhaust ports 3 and 4 the gasket is shooting coolant and combustion pressure out toward the downpipe and manifold.

Guess I get to rip the head off the car already! Woo! :ph34r:

It is quite possibly the most enjoyable experience you shall ever have in your life.

[/sarcasm]

I TRIED to do it Saturday and yesterday. I can't pull the head off, it's either stuck on there real good or I missed something. It made me sad. :(

It took me awhile the first time too. Helps to have a helping hand as lifting the top end wiht everything attached is a PITA

Okay, a little update:

I had a machinist buddy come over and check the block and head out with a straightedge, everything checked out fine. The gasket that was on this engine had to be OEM Mitsubishi, and it was haggard. It looked like ultra-fine chicken-wire mesh covered on both sides by paper mache', and it was very obvious where the leak was coming from. I could actually see through the mesh in several places on the gasket.

So I got a new FelPro gasket on there, and seated everything else properly. One of the throttle body bolts stripped out and another snapped, so I've either got to drill and tap those holes and use different bolts, or swap my spare manifold onto this engine and get a new gasket. I was actually surprised how simple it was to get the head off this car - I'm almost positive next time I do this, assuming I have the correct tools at-hand, I can swap a gasket or cylinder head in under 45 minutes.

The cylinder bores and pistons looked beautiful in this engine, there were no marks or scoring on the walls, not even any carbon buildup for that matter, which was surprising considering how rich it was running. I'm hoping I've got the ignition timing correct, man was it a pain to get that distributor gear lined up properly.

Once I get mine running reliably enough to make the drive, I'm more than willing to help. ^_^

I won't be working on it again til spring break (the 15th) because it's at my parent's house down in Herriman.

Okay, a little update:

I had a machinist buddy come over and check the block and head out with a straightedge, everything checked out fine. The gasket that was on this engine had to be OEM Mitsubishi, and it was haggard. It looked like ultra-fine chicken-wire mesh covered on both sides by paper mache', and it was very obvious where the leak was coming from. I could actually see through the mesh in several places on the gasket.

So I got a new FelPro gasket on there, and seated everything else properly. One of the throttle body bolts stripped out and another snapped, so I've either got to drill and tap those holes and use different bolts, or swap my spare manifold onto this engine and get a new gasket. I was actually surprised how simple it was to get the head off this car - I'm almost positive next time I do this, assuming I have the correct tools at-hand, I can swap a gasket or cylinder head in under 45 minutes.

The cylinder bores and pistons looked beautiful in this engine, there were no marks or scoring on the walls, not even any carbon buildup for that matter, which was surprising considering how rich it was running. I'm hoping I've got the ignition timing correct, man was it a pain to get that distributor gear lined up properly.

Yeah, once you do it the first time, it's REAL easy. Even lining up the dizzy is easy... haha.

-Robert

Yea, the HG is easy to swap...unless you have ARP studs. Then getting the head on and off is a little more of a PITA and requires alot of finess with 2 people and lift it perfectly evenly straight up lol

Oh yeah, this car runs amazingly now. I don't know how it happened, but I also fixed the rich-running condition by tearing it down and rebuilding it.

I think the clutch and LSD are the weak points now - I tried a little drifting tonight and it took a bit of finesse to get it out, but once it was I had a good time with it. I'm hoping to make a drift event at the end of the month, I should be able to get video footage. ^_^ ^_^