NAPA Clutch Kits

strang3majik

Hey guys, I went up to NAPA the other day and checked on their clutch kits to see if they actually had the right one, well...they do differentiate between intercooled and non-intercooled, and have different part numbers, though, I did forget to ask if they differentiate between 225mm, and 240mm clutches...

but, besides all that, for $179 + tax for a clutch kit and a slave cylinder (also a different part# then the non-intercooled unit), how are they? My car is basically stock power...so, not too worried about overpowering a 240mm clutch.

So...opinions. Reviews. Feedback.

Much appreciated :D

well, the clutch kit comes with the clutch, pressure plate, release bearing, and, a separate slave cylinder...and, I thought for $179, that didn't sound bad?

I also thought I read the kits at Autozone didn't come with the correct release bearing, and you couldn't get the right slave cylinder...is that still true?

But, is there any other good clutch kits that are cheaper? I just want to get my car back on the road...lol

They are just stock spec parts, one is no better than the other. Ebay is cheaper if you shop around sometime an entire kit for 20.00 and its the same parts. They just throw it in a Napa box. You open the box and either its some Korean sponge pad disc or like most they all say Dakin or have the mitsu logo and are reman'd. Same for the pressure plates. Its never the same part in the aftermarket box twice its just what they grabbed from the core pile when they were being reman'd. Its more likely that oem parts were reman'd and the new parts are the cheaper ones. The disc surface on either is still going to be the same. A spring rate is a spring rate why would one be better than another. If its for stock just buy what costs less its all the same. A slave ok that's fine but those you can get off ebay a combo with the master for about 60-65 and that linkage on the back of the master is worn out unless you replaced it already.

Thanks for the explaination Indiana...

One quick question though, how can I tell if its the right clutch/slave cylinder?

I want to make sure its a 240mm and one for an intercooled car (for both the throwout bearing and the slave cylinder)...

Most just say 83-89, then, some say 87-89 for the clutch kits...

Anyone buy and ebay clutch kit from a certain vendor that they used and know is correct?

I bought a 6 puck sprung clutch for $190 shipped to my door off ebay from Aimco out of cali.

The clutch has held up great to my decently modded car, has never slipped, feels stock, well worth the money in my opinion..

for your stock car you could get away with the same clutch and beat the snot out of it for years.. otherwise aimco has some other clutchs for our cars that hold up decent as well that would work and are a decent ammount cheaper.

I bought a 6 puck sprung clutch for $190 shipped to my door off ebay from Aimco out of cali.

The clutch has held up great to my decently modded car, has never slipped, feels stock, well worth the money in my opinion..

for your stock car you could get away with the same clutch and beat the snot out of it for years.. otherwise aimco has some other clutchs for our cars that hold up decent as well that would work and are a decent ammount cheaper.

it feels stock cause it hasn't seat'd in yet,, :) once it wears in it'l feel like an off - on swt

it feels stock cause it hasn't seat'd in yet,, :) once it wears in it'l feel like an off - on swt

ive got around 8k HARD miles on this clutch and ive had ZERO issues, it still feels like stock as well :).. so id say its seat'd in :)

had hundreds of hard launchs so far, tons of brake stands and alot of autocrosses :).. best $179+ shipping i ever spent lol

Let me explain about the NAPA clutches.

They're pretty decent, till you start funneling some power through them.

This is what happened to mine after a pretty wicked Rockford slide....

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/3245/clutch2s.jpg

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/3595/clutch1t.jpg

Long story short.....if you're gonna pop the clutch and have some fun, buy something that will handle it. You can tell me all you want that you will drive it easy, but this ain't no damn Ford Tempo.......you WILL have some fun, you WILL race, you WILL wind it up and dump it.......

So get a good clutch now.

Tim