Bill Hincher

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 849 posts
  • Interests:Busty big Gurls and small cars
  • Model:Other

Posted 20 September 2009 - 08:53 AM

I bought a d 50 trans from a starion and chopped off the front end of it, then i sloted the sides
Posted Image
Posted Image
  I had a spacer casted for the r 154 trans and I milled it flat to size and entered it in the Starion trans
Posted Image
  then I re sized all the engine mounting bolts out by 2%
Posted Image
  then I resized the flywheel opening by 2%
Posted Image
  i bored out the R 154 spacer out to size and finished the facing square to the bellhousing on the bridgeport
Posted Image
  I made sure to use all the mounts and openings to re use the exact same clutch controls that come with the Starion, so there is no need to change anything but the bellhousing a direct fit
  then I filled all the panels in, one at a time with 1/8 aluminum material
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
  then next I will mold it all in , smooth it all out and make sure the wall sides are the thickness I want before casting
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Technology

Technology

TheNerdyProfessor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,274 posts
  • Interests:Lots of boost!

Posted 20 September 2009 - 09:03 AM

Awesome!

I will try to make as much power as possible on the stocker, and when it breaks, you should have these ready for sale! :)

Posted Image

#3 VICE

VICE

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 20 September 2009 - 10:18 AM

Is that a Honda CRX?   I had that Tranny on my SQ for a while, different set up it wasn't machined or spaced like that it was the bellhousing from the SQ welded on the Supra tranny, it felt awesome it's got great gear ratios but it kept breaking Friction discs..   You should DEFINITELY have a few of these up for sale in a GP or singles!
Posted Image

89 TSI: My SQ is lighter than yours!

#4 Bill Hincher

Bill Hincher

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 11:14 AM

View PostVICE, on 20 September 2009 - 10:18 AM, said:

Is that a Honda CRX?   I had that Tranny on my SQ for a while, different set up it wasn't machined or spaced like that it was the bellhousing from the SQ welded on the Supra tranny, it felt awesome it's got great gear ratios but it kept breaking Friction discs..   You should DEFINITELY have a few of these up for sale in a GP or singles!

yes, thats aCRX

I dont understand ? GP or singles?
Posted Image

#5 VICE

VICE

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 11:27 AM

View PostBill Hincher, on 20 September 2009 - 11:14 AM, said:

yes, thats aCRX

I dont understand ? GP or singles?

Group Purchases or just Single person purchases as in having one available for people to buy at a time..  That will fit a SQ engine right?
Posted Image

#6 BOHO

BOHO

Sucks at life

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,837 posts
  • Model:Starion

Posted 20 September 2009 - 05:33 PM

Bill,

You sure do nice work...What is your plan with these?
87 Starion 2jz

Posted Image

#7 BrazilBoy

BrazilBoy

^ Bird-Dog^

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,882 posts
  • Interests:My sons..............

Posted 20 September 2009 - 05:47 PM

Nice work Bill.......
Posted Image
Simon Cowell's cat Disapproves of this Thread and the People in it.......

#8 Bill Hincher

Bill Hincher

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 06:23 PM

View PostBOHO, on 20 September 2009 - 05:33 PM, said:

Bill,

You sure do nice work...What is your plan with these?
  I promised to build couple for Turbo Addict and Pinko, so I will run about 10 of them off with hand lay up techniques and if they prove out, I will build an investment casting and run off a few each month
Posted Image

#9 Turbo_Addict

Turbo_Addict

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • Interests:More boost please...

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:14 PM

View PostBill Hincher, on 20 September 2009 - 06:23 PM, said:

I promised to build couple for Turbo Addict and Pinko, so I will run about 10 of them off with hand lay up techniques and if they prove out, I will build an investment casting and run off a few each month

You've got me all kinds of excited about this Bill - can't wait!!  My bell-housingless r-154 is sitting on the bench just waiting for a new home.  :)

I was wondering about a couple small details, which I am sure you will cover but wanted to throw them out there.  First of course is that shifter housing extension you were working on and if that is still in process, and the other is how the pilot bearing will sit in the crankshaft instead of in the flywheel.  Is there a larger pilot bearing that will fit in the crankshaft or do we need to come up with some way of making a 'housing' for a pilot bearing that will seat there?

Thanks again for doing this, I can't wait to actually be able to 'use' the power on the track.  hehe

Tom
Apparently 400 HP / 530 TQ to the wheels was not enough...  6G72 Twin Turbo swap in progress
Car Domain site
Posted Image

#10 Bill Hincher

Bill Hincher

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:55 PM

I include an aluminum spacer for the crankshaft hole to fit the pilot bearing in ,I do that with all my set ups
Posted Image

#11 Turbo_Addict

Turbo_Addict

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts
  • Interests:More boost please...

Posted 22 September 2009 - 12:00 AM

View PostBill Hincher, on 21 September 2009 - 10:55 PM, said:

I include an aluminum spacer for the crankshaft hole to fit the pilot bearing in ,I do that with all my set ups

Outstanding!   B)
Apparently 400 HP / 530 TQ to the wheels was not enough...  6G72 Twin Turbo swap in progress
Car Domain site
Posted Image

#12 TainterRacing

TainterRacing

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts
  • Interests:Have a ???? Ask me. A Quester since 1997

Posted 22 September 2009 - 03:48 PM

How much for it?

#13 Technology

Technology

TheNerdyProfessor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,274 posts
  • Interests:Lots of boost!

Posted 22 September 2009 - 03:54 PM

If you have to ask, you can't afford it. haha. j/k. How much Bill?

Posted Image

#14 Bill Hincher

Bill Hincher

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 04:17 PM

I keep all my stuff in the   $400.00 dollar range,the only one that went over that was the T 56 short shaft, the d*mn thing took so much effort to do.
  the nice thing about this bellhousing is that it is plug and play, same flywheel, same pressure plate, same cluch fork and pivot ball, everything from the Starion was reused, just a Toyota disc and then I gaot to work out the throw out bearing

the work never ends, when I finish one bellhousing, I go back and try to improve it, and then when I can I start something new, this wide block should be easy enough because I have already done the R 154 in the narrow block, so it should come along much faster
Posted Image

#15 Dave-O

Dave-O

Mediocre At Best.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,874 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:09 PM

Beautiful. I've got an R154 just sitting [bought it for dirt cheap as a spare for the shop's 7MGTE-swapped drift Cressida] that needs to go into my car. :lol:

It's just a 9" Toyota clutch disc, correct? Is it sourced from the trucks or is it a Supra piece?

Edited by Dave-O, 24 September 2009 - 11:09 PM.

View Postdmyers151, on 08 June 2010 - 07:29 AM, said:

I see you got that Limited Edition ish.

#16 Bill Hincher

Bill Hincher

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 09:57 AM

View PostDave-O, on 24 September 2009 - 11:09 PM, said:

Beautiful. I've got an R154 just sitting [bought it for dirt cheap as a spare for the shop's 7MGTE-swapped drift Cressida] that needs to go into my car. :lol:

It's just a 9" Toyota clutch disc, correct? Is it sourced from the trucks or is it a Supra piece?
  up until now I have used the truck 9in disc on my narrow block stuff, I have to measure out the disc to the right flywheel diameter for the wide block, the Supra disc is rated for 320 hp in original form,I think the Supra is a larger disc, the stage 4 stuff from comp clutch claims to be 400 hp
  I try to keep all my parts 'over the counter' in keeping with your 'dirt cheap' policy :rolleyes:
Posted Image

#17 Dave-O

Dave-O

Mediocre At Best.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,874 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 06:02 PM

That's what I love about your stuff Bill. I've got to start saving up for one of your Billhousing kits, I really want to swap to the R154 before I break anything.

View Postdmyers151, on 08 June 2010 - 07:29 AM, said:

I see you got that Limited Edition ish.

#18 VICE

VICE

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 06:15 PM

That R-154 Supra tranny is AWESOME let me tell ya for what I experienced from it..  And I would LOVE to put another one back in the SQ one day so I am a future buyer herre..  :rolleyes:

Edited by VICE, 02 November 2009 - 10:49 AM.

Posted Image

#19 Bill Hincher

Bill Hincher

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 10:25 AM

I am working out the R 154 options,the problem with the R 154, its geared too high, here is the comparisions

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th
R150 - 3.83 2.062 1.436 1.00 0.838
R151 - 4.31 3.32 1.52 1.00 0.83
R154 - 3.25 1.95 1.30 1.00 0.75
Starion (KM132-M-CNL) 3.369:1 2.035:1 1.360:1 1:1 .856:1

The R 150's 2wd are found on all the toyota V 6 trucks pre 86
The R 151 was used on the turbo 4 cyl Toyota truck and 86-87 and v-6 toyota trucks after 87
they sell for about 3-500 bucks on car-part.com and there are plenty of them

The input shafts are shorter then the R 154, and they are different before and after 86, but all I have to do is change how the bellhousing is built and then cut the back plate for wwhich ever trans is ordered

the problem is in the Starions, they have the torque tube set up in the rear end with limited selection of axle ratio's available

the other problem is cost and availablity of the R 154

This all came about because I am building the wide block R 154, option and I been watching the cost of the transmissions . Once you pay $800.00 for a trans and $425.00 for a clutch, its hard to justify the adaptor

The 96 and up input shaft for the R 150 and R 151 should be the same as the R 154 ( 7.5 I have to make sure of that) and the input shaft of pre 96 should be the same as the W 55's ( 6.5)
the R 151 & 150 should be good up to 450 hp ( from what I can read)
the pre 96 trans sells for $300.00 bucks all day long on car-part.com and all you need is a Toyota disc with the OEM Mits pressure plate and I think it would use the W 55 throw out bearing collar

what I am saying is , I can either shorten or lengthen the bellhousing within a 1 inch range and drop the cost of the swap while increasing the gear ratio selection
Posted Image

#20 darthconquest

darthconquest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Interests:wide body's datsun510's turntables and sara

Posted 02 November 2009 - 10:36 AM

View PostBill Hincher, on 02 November 2009 - 10:25 AM, said:

I am working out the R 154 options,the problem with the R 154, its geared too high, here is the comparisions

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th
R150 - 3.83 2.062 1.436 1.00 0.838
R151 - 4.31 3.32 1.52 1.00 0.83
R154 - 3.25 1.95 1.30 1.00 0.75
Starion (KM132-M-CNL) 3.369:1 2.035:1 1.360:1 1:1 .856:1

The R 150's 2wd are found on all the toyota V 6 trucks pre 86
The R 151 was used on the turbo 4 cyl Toyota truck and 86-87 and v-6 toyota trucks after 87
they sell for about 3-500 bucks on car-part.com and there are plenty of them

The input shafts are shorter then the R 154, and they are different before and after 86, but all I have to do is change how the bellhousing is built and then cut the back plate for wwhich ever trans is ordered

the problem is in the Starions, they have the torque tube set up in the rear end with limited selection of axle ratio's available

the other problem is cost and availablity of the R 154

This all came about because I am building the wide block R 154, option and I been watching the cost of the transmissions . Once you pay $800.00 for a trans and $425.00 for a clutch, its hard to justify the adaptor

The 96 and up input shaft for the R 150 and R 151 should be the same as the R 154 ( 7.5 I have to make sure of that) and the input shaft of pre 96 should be the same as the W 55's ( 6.5)
the R 151 & 150 should be good up to 450 hp ( from what I can read)
the pre 96 trans sells for $300.00 bucks all day long on car-part.com and all you need is a Toyota disc with the OEM Mits pressure plate and I think it would use the W 55 throw out bearing collar

what I am saying is , I can either shorten or lengthen the bellhousing within a 1 inch range and drop the cost of the swap while increasing the gear ratio selection

couldnt you also use a w58 trans
88 shp starion in need of a engine
87 conquest parts car
86 wide body bse  3inch exhaust  zetronix wideband zenner diode just the beginning! :)
71 datsun 510 11.5 - 1 comp dual carb's 8500 rpm redline 16 pound fly wheel 640 kilogrampressure plate lsd and coil overs (rip)
72 datsun 510 sr20det bmw e30 front suspension 97 bmw m3 rack 350# coil overs and a r180 (daily driver)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users