Rebuilding OEM SHP Struts

Starfighterpilot

First of all, we are well aware that the MITSU FSM says that the SHP struts are not rebuildable. We think that's MAYBE BS, with a little "creative engineering."

A couple of us Georgia Starquesters have been kicking around the idea of seeing if they can be rebuilt.

The struts we have are KYB, but one of the guys says that he seems to remember that KYB and Tokico both made SHP struts for the '88 & 89 Starquests. Anyone know for sure?

I've got two complete sets of '88 SHP struts which are worn out but not damaged. We know where there are more.

We think that we can disassemble 'em, one way or another without fatally damaging 'em, and recharge them with gas, and reassemble 'em back to their OEM external dimensions. However the main sticking point is replacement of worn internal parts, ie. seals and the internal check valves etc.

Have any of you guys out there contacted KYB/Tokico to see if the SHP internal parts, that are subject to NORMAL wear, can be replaced with KYB/Tokico off the shelf generic interchangeable internal parts?

Also what is the internal gas pressure that KYB/Tokico charged them to?

We do not want to reinvent the wheel, so any KYB/Tokico information that you may have would be appreciated

If you guys do not have any KYB/Tokico info then we will call 'em and find out for ourselves.

A couple of years ago Heron was "rebuilding" the SHP struts and a couple of Starquesters had their struts rebuilt by him. But those posts are not in archives due to the Starquestclub site crash last year. :mad: At least I couldn't find 'em. :wacko:

Are there still any Starquesters out there who had their struts rebuilt by Heron. If so, how long did the rebuild last and what parts (if any) were replaced , if known?

Any infomation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks In Advance

KEN

Edited by Starfighterpilot

I believe there's a way to do it with MR2 inserts. I know a lot of guys lowering their vehicles, to run full bodied coilovers are taking the SHP struts and putting in MR2 cartridges ( or something to of that extent. )

I know for a fact KYB and Tokico made OEM struts for our cars. I have an 88 with OEM Tokico housings and an 87 with OEM KYB housings. As for rebuilding them I thought most of the internal parts were NLA.

From what I've seen and heard the OEM struts were not gas charged. If they were they would have been sealed units and not had a gland nut. I would try disasembling them and draining the oil into a measuring cup. See if there are any O-rings you can easily replace then fill with fresh shock oil. The only place I know of to get shock oil is an RC car shop but I'm sure there are other sorces. The oil gets contaminated and loses viscosity over time. You may feel an improvement by just changing the shock oil. Be sure to clean the housing thoroughly before adding fresh oil.

Edited by ucw458

just a thought....but i wonder if it would be the same/similar oil to that of a motorcycle fork/frontend, just food for thought

Yes that's correct. I had forgotten you can rebuild bike front forks. The heavier weight oil you put in the stiffer the strut will be, in theory. I've actually wanted to try this for awhile now but I have good struts on my car and don't feel like experimenting.

hey, i pulled my SHP's apart and put them back together with a thicker shock oil. the main problem with doing a full rebuild is that you can't get the important parts. sure, some of the o-rings you get make work from a good automotive shop or store, but, some stuff like the gland nut seal are just completely unavailable.

but, just so you know, not too difficult to take apart. the hardest part is getting the pipe inside to line up with the adjustment knob when putting back together.

myself, i gave up on any adjustability and just run them with the heavy oil (i used the heaviest stuff from the motorcycle shop. it's HD motorcycle shock oil) really helps stop oscillation on stiff springs or lowered cars.

Edited by patra_is_here

The FSM says nitrogen gas charged shocks were an option. There are instructions to depressurize them in the FSM, when replacing with inserts.

Also, in the FSM there are instructions on replacing the o ring and shock absorber oil in the hydraulic type shocks.

-Robert

I know for a fact KYB and Tokico made OEM struts for our cars. I have an 88 with OEM Tokico housings and an 87 with OEM KYB housings. As for rebuilding them I thought most of the internal parts were NLA.

From what I've seen and heard the OEM struts were not gas charged. If they were they would have been sealed units and not had a gland nut. I would try disasembling them and draining the oil into a measuring cup.

HHHHHHHUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!! :blink: I suggest that you look in the '88 FSM, Page 2-4, Column A187AM (Option). It specifically says that these struts are Gas damper type,(Adjustible shock absorber). ;)

The only place I know of to get shock oil is an RC car shop but I'm sure there are other sorces. The oil gets contaminated and loses viscosity over time. You may feel an improvement by just changing the shock oil. Be sure to clean the housing thoroughly before adding fresh oil.

We have already planned on using the strut oil listed in the '88 starquest Parts Catalog, page 2-4, #27, MB57 3145, Oil (450cc) w/o intercooler. We also plan on confirming this API Service Grade and Viscosity of oil with the venders if they can cross reference it to the stuff they used. If not we'll get their recommendations on that and how much strut oil to exactly add if that info is available. If the amount isn't available we will exactly measure the number of cc's that came out after suspending the strut outer assembly & internal assembly over a cc beaker for a couple of days so they drip dry.

We are not a bunch of rookies, but thanks for reminding us about cleanliness.

Thanks for the info tho. :)

For What It's Worth

KEN

hey, i pulled my SHP's apart and put them back together with a thicker shock oil. the main problem with doing a full rebuild is that you can't get the important parts. sure, some of the o-rings you get make work from a good automotive shop or store, but, some stuff like the gland nut seal are just completely unavailable.

but, just so you know, not too difficult to take apart. the hardest part is getting the pipe inside to line up with the adjustment knob when putting back together.

myself, i gave up on any adjustability and just run them with the heavy oil (i used the heaviest stuff from the motorcycle shop. it's HD motorcycle shock oil) really helps stop oscillation on stiff springs or lowered cars.

Thanks for the info especially the part about aligning the internals to the adjustment knob oriface. Is there any way to match mark the internals to the casing using a Sharpie indelible ink pen to maintain alignment prior to removing the internals?

As for the the gland nut seal we thought of going to a hydraulic shop for that or a company that specializes in gas equipment or maybe KYB/Tokico has a generic off the shelf seal that will work.

Our main concern is the check valves and their springs.

I'll be making some phone calls tomorrow.

Thanks again for the info. :)

KEN

HHHHHHHUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!! :blink: I suggest that you look in the '88 FSM, Page 2-4, Column A187AM (Option). It specifically says that these struts are Gas damper type,(Adjustible shock absorber). ;)

I've heard from a few reliable sorces that not all the struts were the gas damper type. You can't always go by what it says in the FSM. We all know there were typos in the early versions. Alot of info has been lost over the years. Also just like you read and stated but convinently ignored it says the gas damper version was an option.

I've heard from a few reliable sorces that not all the struts were the gas damper type. You can't always go by what it says in the FSM. We all know there were typos in the early versions. Alot of info has been lost over the years. Also just like you read and stated but convinently ignored it says the gas damper version was an option.

Yeah it was an option. THE SHP OPTION. The non gas damper type (HYDRAULIC) struts were for the the non SHP, ie. the hydralic, cylindrical, double acting type. And for further evidence see FSM, Page 2-15 were it labels the adjustables as Gas Damper Type (Adjustable Shock Absorber).

But I guess in this case you know more than the Front Suspension, Part 2, Disassembly and Reassembly Section and the Front Suspension General Specifications of MITSUBISHI Service Manual. In fact, over the years, this section has been proven to be one of the most accurate sections in the FSM

By the way look up the SHP struts in the '88 parts catolog. They only give ONE (1) Part Number for the front and rear, right and left w/intercooler w/Handling Package struts. If a gas and a hydraulic type of SHP struts were offered for each application they would have had different P/N's.

I'm not going to let this post be high jacked by you. So let's cut this BS out.

the gas charged just means there was nitrogen to take up the 'empty space' when the oil is moving from chamber to chamber in the strut. its doesnt mean the shock was filled with nitrogen gas.

regular air would be less consistent then nitrogen, and nitrogen as an inert gas with smaller molecules and a higher heat capacity is better for use in shocks. but, it's pretty much irrelevant ultimately, as air is 16% nitrogen anyhow. so, just use shock oil, compress the strut, screw on the gland nut and call it a day.

the gas charged just means there was nitrogen to take up the 'empty space' when the oil is moving from chamber to chamber in the strut. its doesnt mean the shock was filled with nitrogen gas.

regular air would be less consistent then nitrogen, and nitrogen as an inert gas with smaller molecules and a higher heat capacity is better for use in shocks. but, it's pretty much irrelevant ultimately, as air is 16% nitrogen anyhow. so, just use shock oil, compress the strut, screw on the gland nut and call it a day.

I probably agree with you but this is one of the things we want to check with the venders. My Dad taught me to cover all the bases before tearing into something that I've never done before. Old habits are hard to break. :blush:

Thanks for the input. :)

KEN

Yeah it was an option. THE SHP OPTION. The non gas damper type (HYDRAULIC) struts were for the the non SHP, ie. the hydralic, cylindrical, double acting type. And for further evidence see FSM, Page 2-15 were it labels the adjustables as Gas Damper Type (Adjustable Shock Absorber).

But I guess in this case you know more than the Front Suspension, Part 2, Disassembly and Reassembly Section and the Front Suspension General Specifications of MITSUBISHI Service Manual. In fact, over the years, this section has been proven to be one of the most accurate sections in the FSM

By the way look up the SHP struts in the '88 parts catolog. They only give ONE (1) Part Number for the front and rear, right and left w/intercooler w/Handling Package struts. If a gas and a hydraulic type of SHP struts were offered for each application they would have had different P/N's.

I'm not going to let this post be high jacked by you. So let's cut this BS out.

Why do you start a fight with me in every thread you start? You sounded very smug in your response to me which seems to me is your way of calling me an idiot and then sugar coating it with a thanks at the end. And yeah looking back at my first post I did misspeak. I meant to say "not all" but in my rush I missed a word. Sorry for the typo. And when did I ever say yours weren't gas charged? I said "not all" I never specified which ones. I merely posted what information I knew in the hope that it would help.

So from my point of veiw I'm being called an idiot by you again which doesn't help me think straight and see that you stated the SHP was the gas option. So instead of being the bigger man I gave you a smug reply back. For that I'm sorry. If you have even the slightest ability to see this from my side you would see that I feel like I get attacked every time I try to help you. And yet I keep trying to help. I don't hold grudges but maybe you're holding one against me. If you want to be civil and talk this out try PMing me instead of calling me an a$$ in public.

Yeah, his are the non SHP struts.

Thanks for the reply Justin.

KEN

Ah, sorry I had missed your post about the SHP and non-SHP stuff. Yeah, his are the non SHP's.

I'd be interested in knowing as well, just for the pure knownledge.

You know, in fact I'm pretty sure the known SQ shop in Japan rebuilds struts. I'm not too sure if they can do the SHP's to be honest.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://techno7.web.infoseek.co.jp/suspensions.html&ei=ItVpS6TnHoO0tgfpr8noBg&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAkQ7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://techno7.web.infoseek.co.jp/suspensions.html%26hl%3Den

That's the translation of the website, horrible, but! at the very bottom I see this

A183A · A184A · A187A Akira Makoto plan for change shape cartridge shock Stallion

Riyasutoratto the stallion is usually the non-resolution structure, to replace the shock strut Akira Makoto Assy there was no other way to buy, disassemble, modify, giving the non-resolved structure struts, shock easily replaceable cartridge Shock is a plan to change the formula using KYB New SR Special, highway driving and city driving can also be combined with a sporty flavor Daunsasu is also a moderate hardness but

Actual processing is available only to be removed from the current car or car free destination

All Model Stallion

☆ ¥ 178.5 thousand unregulated Sutorattobesu

8-stage adjustment Sutorattobesu ¥ 199.5 thousand

Strut labor decomposition process, new upper shock mount x4 · Akira Makoto x4 · dust boots x4, Bump rubber x4 is the price, including all

If ships alignment strut wage labor desorption process of shipping your thank you will be charged extra burden

----

This was under the original section of the site, but based off of what I am ready after that, they're rebuilding them. Also, as a shot in the dark, I emailed them asking if they could provide instructions on rebuild an SHP strut and what parts they used since people in the USA were interested in doing it.

Edited by Fanta

Yesterday I called Tokico and KYB to get information about the SHP and hydraulic (non SHP) struts for the ’88 & ’89 Starquests. I told ‘em that almost all of the SHP ’88 & ’89 Starquest strut assemblies still on the road were worn out.

It seems that Dodge & Mitsu placed their last order for the SHP struts around 1995. After that they did not place any more orders. The Tokico & KYB technical reps that I talked to at both companies stated that they no longer had the drawings or technical information for the SHP ornon SHP struts on file. KYB and Tokico purge their technical data-bases of that information after five years from the last order. So the information about these struts and shocks was lost around the year 2000. Therefore they do not have the ability to see if they have any strut/shock parts which are on the shelf now which would be interchangeable with the SHP struts/shocks.

However I did find out some information about the struts:

TOKICO

1)Tokico did not make the SHP struts (A187AM OPTION). They only made the hydraulic struts/shocks (A187AM) for the non - SHP models of the Starquests.

2)The Tokico rep that I talked to said the correct oil to use to replace the oil in the non - SHP struts/shocks was the oil that MITSU referenced in the '88 Parts Catalog MB573145. This oil is the correct viscosity and will give the same performance characteristics as OEM provided that the internal parts of the strut/shock are not worn out. However he did say that to SLIGHTLY overcome the increased internal tolerances due to worn internal parts you could use a heavier viscosity strut oil. BUT, and I repeat BUT, he would not guarantee the results. He did not know the viscosity of the MB573145 strut oil nor could he recommend a strut/shock oil to use.

3)The Tokico rep (who has been around since Christ was a kid) also said that, if he remembers correctly, the Tokico non – SHP hydraulic struts/shocks were pressurized to about 20 PSIG from the factory. BUT he could not positively state this as fact.

4)The Tokico rep said that it MAY be possible to get the internal seals/o-rings for the SHP & non-SHP Struts from a hydraulic parts supply company, provided the worn parts were brought to them and if they compensated for wear, they possibly could match 'em from off the shelf parts.

5)The Tokico rep stated that there used to be Mom & Pop companies out there that used to rebuild worn out Tokico & KYB struts/shocks. But since the economic down turn the USA is experiencing, most of ‘em have gone out of business in the past year.

KYB:

1)KYB did make the SHP struts (A187AM OPTION) for Starion and Conquests.

2)He too recommended that the strut oil to use is the MB573145 strut oil if it still available. He also said that we could experiment with different viscosities of strut oil to SLIGHTLY compensate for the worn internal parts of the SHP struts if replacement parts were not available.

3)This rep was also around when Christ was a kid. He remembers the Starquest SHP struts. He said that the gas charge pressure was critically important for the correct operation of the SHP struts. But he did not remember the exact pressure that the struts were charged to at the factory. He said that the pressure could vary from 40 to 100 PSIG. The only way to tell for sure was to install a Schrader valve in the strut upper outer shell (above the upper throw of the strut piston) and pressurize them to 40 PSIG with Nitrogen and drive around to see how the struts performed. Then, if necessary gradually increase pressure until you got the performance characteristics you wanted. He said that he would not go over 100PSIG. He recommended that the struts be disassembled change out the strut oil with the exact amount removed, and replace any parts that we could get from venders. Re-pressurize to 40 PSIG and see if this helps. If not gradually increase pressure until you get the performance that you want. He recommended that all of the settings (1 through 8) be tested each time pressure is increased until you get to be were you want to be. He also CAUTIONED AGAIN, DO NOT OVER PRESSURIZE THE STRUTS!!! They could become a bomb if they are!!!

4)He too recommended that we go to hydraulic parts suppliers with samples to see if there is off the shelf parts that would match the SHP strut internal seals/o-rings.

5)He also said that taking the SHP struts apart would be a *itch but it can be done without destroying any parts if you take your time.

6)Altho KYB did not have replacement struts for the SHP’s he did stated that they supply replacement struts for the non SHP Starquests from 1983 through 8/86 KYB Part number 365029 and 9/86 through 1989 KYB Part number 365060. KYB also has boot kits and mounts for ’83 through 89. See http://www.kyb.com/pdf/kyb_catalog.pdf for more info. I haven't researched this yet.

7)The rep also recommended getting a complete set of used SHP strut/shock assemblies and install the above KYB replacement struts. Then install the strut assemblies on the SHP Starquests. Although they wouldn't be adjustable they are KYB’s Model GR 2 requirements. He said it would be the easiest way to go. And the difference in clearance between OEM & KYB ground clearance would be barely noticeable, if any. And according to him they are better than the OEM non SHP struts.

8) The rep did not know of any companies that are in business anymore that could rebuild the SHP struts. However, he hasn't looked into that for the past year, and he did not want to sent me on "wild goose chases" if he gave me a company name from the past.

That's what I found out yesterday. I think it's some interesting information. Now we have to disassemble a front and rear SHP strut and take the removed seals/o-rings to the 5 or 6 hydraulic parts suppliers here in the Atlanta area to see if we can find replacement parts. I’ll keep you updated as to what we find.

For What It's Worth

KEN

PS - Justin, GREAT FIND about the Japanese. At least we know it can be done!!

Yesterday I called Tokico and KYB to get information about the SHP and hydraulic (non SHP) struts for the ’88 & ’89 Starquests. I told ‘em that almost all of the SHP ’88 & ’89 Starquest strut assemblies still on the road were worn out.

It seems that Dodge & Mitsu placed their last order for the SHP struts around 1995. After that they did not place any more orders. The Tokico & KYB technical reps that I talked to at both companies stated that they no longer had the drawings or technical information for the SHP ornon SHP struts on file. KYB and Tokico purge their technical data-bases of that information after five years from the last order. So the information about these struts and shocks was lost around the year 2000. Therefore they do not have the ability to see if they have any strut/shock parts which are on the shelf now which would be interchangeable with the SHP struts/shocks.

However I did find out some information about the struts:

TOKICO

1)Tokico did not make the SHP struts (A187AM OPTION). They only made the hydraulic struts/shocks (A187AM) for the non - SHP models of the Starquests.

2)The Tokico rep that I talked to said the correct oil to use to replace the oil in the non – SHP struts/shocks was the oil that MITSU referenced in the ‘88 Parts Catalog MB573145. This oil is the correct viscosity and will give the same performance characteristics as OEM provided that the internal parts of the strut/shock are not worn out. However he did say that to SLIGHTLY overcome the increased internal tolerances due to worn internal parts you could use a heavier viscosity strut oil. BUT, and I repeat BUT, he would not guarantee the results. He did not know the viscosity of the MB573145 strut oil nor could he recommend a strut/shock oil to use.

3)The Tokico rep (who has been around since Christ was a kid) also said that, if he remembers correctly, the Tokico non – SHP hydraulic struts/shocks were pressurized to about 20 PSIG from the factory. BUT he could not positively state this as fact.

4)The Tokico rep said that it MAY be possible to get the internal seals/o-rings for the SHP & non-SHP Struts from a hydraulic parts supply company, provided the worn parts were brought to them and if they compensated for wear, they possibly could match ‘em from off the shelf parts.

5)The Tokico rep stated that there used to be Mom & Pop companies out there that used to rebuild worn out Tokico & KYB struts/shocks. But since the economic down turn the USA is experiencing, most of ‘em have gone out of business in the past year.

KYB:

1)KYB did make the SHP struts (A187AM OPTION) for Starion and Conquests.

2)He too recommended that the strut oil to use is the MB573145 strut oil if it still available. He also said that we could experiment with different viscosities of strut oil to SLIGHTLY compensate for the worn internal parts of the SHP struts if replacement parts were not available.

3)This rep was also around when Christ was a kid. He remembers the Starquest SHP struts. He said that the gas charge pressure was critically important for the correct operation of the SHP struts. But he did not remember the exact pressure that the struts were charged to at the factory. He said that the pressure could vary from 40 to 100 PSIG. The only way to tell for sure was to install a Schrader valve in the strut upper outer shell (above the upper throw of the strut piston) and pressurize them to 40 PSIG with Nitrogen and drive around to see how the struts performed. Then, if necessary gradually increase pressure until you got the performance characteristics you wanted. He said that he would not go over 100PSIG. He recommended that the struts be disassembled change out the strut oil with the exact amount removed, and replace any parts that we could get from venders. Re-pressurize to 40 PSIG and see if this helps. If not gradually increase pressure until you get the performance that you want. He recommended that all of the settings (1 through 8) be tested each time pressure is increased until you get to be were you want to be. He also CAUTIONED AGAIN, DO NOT OVER PRESSURIZE THE STRUTS!!! They could become a bomb if they are!!!

4)He too recommended that we go to hydraulic parts suppliers with samples to see if there is off the shelf parts that would match the SHP strut internal seals/o-rings.

5)He also said that taking the SHP struts apart would be a *itch but it can be done without destroying any parts if you take your time.

6)Altho KYB did not have replacement struts for the SHP’s he did stated that they supply replacement struts for the non SHP Starquests from 1983 through 8/86 KYB Part number 365029 and 9/86 through 1989 KYB Part number 365060. KYB also has boot kits and mounts for ’83 through 89. See http://www.kyb.com/pdf/kyb_catalog.pdf for more info. I haven't researched this yet.

7)The rep also recommended getting a complete set of used non SHP strut/shock assemblies and install the above KYB replacement struts. Then install the strut assemblies on the SHP Starquests. Although they wouldn’t be adjustable they are KYB’s Model GR 2 requirements. He said it would be the easiest way to go. And the difference in clearance between OEM & KYB ground clearance would be barely noticeable, if any. And according to him they are better than the OEM non SHP struts.

8) The rep did not know of any companies that are in business anymore that could rebuild the SHP struts. However, he hasn't looked into that for the past year, and he did not want to sent me on "wild goose chases" if he gave me a company name from the past.

That’s what I found out yesterday. I think it’s some interesting information. Now we have to disassemble a front and rear SHP strut and take the removed seals/o-rings to the 5 or 6 hydraulic parts suppliers here in the Atlanta area to see if we can find replacement parts. I’ll keep you updated as to what we find.

For What It’s Worth

KEN

PS - Justin, GREAT FIND about the Japanese. At least we know it can be done!!

Yeah, I asked him if he could tell us how he did it and what parts he used and he said no but he would gladly take on some business :lol: So I asked him to verify the price if I had it correct ( hey who knows, maybe I can convince him to create an SHP rebuild kit? )

Honestly, worst case scenario is we find a set of SHP struts that we don't mind disassembling and seeing what is what. I could of sworn a german company was who provided the struts for the rebuild. I think I had a thread on it a good while back... I'm thinking Bilstein? Or something with a B

Edited by Fanta

I remember a car in a local junkyard that I am pretty sure had shp's. If you need some to try on I can go see how much they want for them.

Thanks a lot for the offer. :) I have a complete set that originally came with my Starquest that are sitting in storage. We'll disassemble those and save some bucks.

Thanks once again tho. :)

KEN

Thanks a lot for the offer. :) I have a complete set that original came with my Starquest that are sitting in storage. We'll disassemble those.

Thanks Once aain tho. :)

KEN

Get with Cregg once you do - he could most definitely help out in finding various seals and o-rings and such ( since he works at a hydraulic shop, he's a viable and helpful resource )

Ken, im guessing youve already seen this thread? it may be of some help to you. (oops,after reading a few posts in it i see your present)

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=65173

ive got a set thats waiting for your results :)

Edited by 89PalermoSHP