Unknown power loss

EpicQuest

Ive searched a bit and changed a few things but im still experiencing the same problems. whenever i try to go above 4500 rpm my engine wont push much further, the power just drops off. it doesnt do this unless im in gear and driving, when in neutral i can redline the car but it'll sputter a little bit.

Also when I rev the motor, then let off the gas abruptly, the car almost dies then bounces up and down and settles at iits 1000prm idle.

ive done some things for the car:

had the injectors cleaned

has newer spark plugs

new vacuum advance distributor

the tps was reset

bought a optima red top battery

replaced the alternator

new O2 sensor

new cat

I took the car to a shop to get the ecu codes and the O2 sensor and tps came up. theyve both been addressed and im still seeing the same problem. The shop says it could be my ecu but id like to get some more advise before i buy one.

At that rpm, it's getting close to the engine's torque limit.

I'm assuming it's a warm engine...run issues on warm engines is the CTS most commonly.

Check/ verify the ISC and TPS are working correctly. Proper voltage signals, clean and tight connections. I believe there's a FAQ here that has the procedure and proper voltage requirements.

Could also be a weak coil..test it...primary should be 1.25 ohms, secondary 11.0 ohms. Test it both warm and cold.

The ECU sends the ground to the injectors, so verify a good ground on the ECU case. Coil case and ignitor box case also need a good ground.

It may be a good idea to go thru the entire ignition system. Verify good parts, clean and tight connections. The only part that can test good and still be failing is the pick up...it looks burnt...replace it.

High rpm fall off is remotely possible exhaust resriction.

you can only check the code for O2 with the engine running and warmed up otherwise you will get it every time and the tps isn't going to limit your rpms, its something else like those used plugs are fouled or like mentioned you timing is off

what plugs are they and what gap you have them at, if they are black and look crusty they either need media blasted to be able to use them or throw them away and get new ones

NGK bpr7es gap about 35-38 then check them once in a while and don't forget to use antisieze lubricant on the threads

if you have mechanical valve train maybe its out of adjustment or you have clogged exhaust

i was thinking vacuum leak as well but the previous owner says he changed all of the vacuum lines and none look too worn but i guess i better try that as well.

i will go grab some plugs today and gap them to spec.

the people i took the car to didnt have the car running when they got the codes so they may have wasted the $20 i spent on a new sensor :( i now have like three...

It might not mean bad hoses. It might just mean something isn't hooked up correctly.

Also. Never. EVER. Rev up to redline, especially in neutral. The way our engines are designed is that you do that and the oil pickup starts to suck up air, you starve your engine and bearings of oil and KABOOM! Take it to heart. Live by it. I always try to never go over 4500/5000

suprised no one has mentioned valve float.

may have weak valve springs .

valves may not be closeing fast enuff at that high of rpm.

no one sugest'd he check his fuel system pressure under road conditions

the engine will only make power as long as the fuel system maintains proper fuel system pressures,,as soon as the pressure drops at all,thats the limit of the engines power makeing abilitys

maintaining a set pressure means the pump and or system is capiable of delivering that much and more fuel but any losss in pressure means there is not enought fuel flow volume to maintain said pressure so the engine stops makeing power beyond that point ,,aprox the same

result as the exh system not being able to flow enought exh gases to increase engine rpms beyond a certain rpm

remember the engine is a very good air pump but the turbo isn't , you restrict it and it'l just stop working

but don't try to over simplecate this several things can be wrong at one time

4500 to 5000 rpms is about what you should expect from a stock engine. A word of warning: Dont rev your car to redline in neutral!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CALIBER 308

You should check the timing chain. It sounds to me like it may have jumped a tooth.

Tim

Like when he redlined it in neutral :wink: :wink: :wink:

CALIBER 308

one of the plugs in the car are different. three are ngk bpr5ey and one is ngk bpr7es. would this present a problem?

i gapped them all to .032, will come back with results in 10min...

Stock plugs are: NGK BPR-6ES-11 Set gap between: .039 and .043 in. If your going to run 7s, set gap between .035 and .039 in.

CALIBER 308