407 replies to this topic

#401 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,144 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 24 September 2020 - 09:22 AM

Update:   I sent the fuel pump back to Fuelab.   Had notes in there for them to call me after inspection, etc.  Earlier this week, I reached out for a status and received no response.   I was going to give them the benefit of the doubt and wait until Monday to call them directly to find out what is going on.  Although, the pump arrived at my door today.  No info in the box except a new flow rate report.   I just called them and asked the reason for failure.  Said a component failed on the control board.  Component was replaced, reassembled, and tested.  The work was covered by warranty.  

I'm concerned about the reliability of this thing being that it has been in their shop twice now for repair and only has very minimal operating hours on it.  I think it literally has about 4, maybe 5, hours of run time in total since I bought it...probably 3 hours since their last repair.   I asked them if this is a common failure and relayed my concern.  All they said is that it is fixed and is good to go.  

So I guess it is good news.  Good in that I didn't do anything to damage it and that I'm not out $500 plus shipping fees, etc.  But bad that I am nervous to even operate the car, wondering when it will fail again and if it will be when I'm on it hard.  

Should have it back in the car this weekend.  I'm looking forward to driving it some more this fall.  It's the best time of the year for cruising.  

Kevin

#402 techboy

techboy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,754 posts
  • Interests:80's & 90's turbo charged cars.
  • Model:Starion

Posted 24 September 2020 - 02:12 PM

I'm surprised they didn't just send you a whole new one since it's already been repaired twice with so little hours on it.  At this point, you might not even want a new one.

Hopefully the pump is good to go now and you can enjoy the fall.  I'm still fighting issues with my car - so hopefully one of us can be out driving!
1988 Starion ESi-R ... crushed by a tree 10/31/11 - back from the dead 8/2016
1988 Conquest TSi ... current driver - sold to Bigjoe 6/2016
1987 Conquest Flatty ... F/S thread - sold 8/2014
1987 Conquest TSi ... parts car - sold to Coldscrip 12/2011
1999 Eclipse 4G63 ... heavily modified.
Feeback Thread | Motor rebuild thread | Restoration thread

Posted Image

#403 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,144 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 09:24 AM

I pushed them for a replacement when it went in for the first issue but to no avail.  I bought the pump from summit racing.  I should have just called and asked for a return/replacement back then and let them fight with the company.   Being that they had to disassemble the pump, pull the ECU off of the control board, and reflash it the first time, I really think that the second failure was a result of the first repair.  Maybe a broken solder joint or something, but I have no way of knowing.    

If this was a $150 pump like the AEM unit, I would have already went another route.  I really don't want to ditch a $500 pump and having to redo my lines/setup yet again.   And what do I try from here?  Go with a bosch 044 and risk it failing due to e85 or go with another brushless pump like the new aeromotive a1000 brushless but at a higher cost.   I'm just going to try this thing again and hope that the issue is resolved for good.  

What's going on with your car?  Last I read it was just some minor issues.   Hope you get it going here soon.

#404 Funky Phil

Funky Phil

Super Pooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,482 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 27 September 2020 - 07:11 PM

View Postkev, on 25 September 2020 - 09:24 AM, said:

I pushed them for a replacement when it went in for the first issue but to no avail.  I bought the pump from summit racing.  I should have just called and asked for a return/replacement back then and let them fight with the company.   Being that they had to disassemble the pump, pull the ECU off of the control board, and reflash it the first time, I really think that the second failure was a result of the first repair.  Maybe a broken solder joint or something, but I have no way of knowing.    

If this was a $150 pump like the AEM unit, I would have already went another route.  I really don't want to ditch a $500 pump and having to redo my lines/setup yet again.   And what do I try from here?  Go with a bosch 044 and risk it failing due to e85 or go with another brushless pump like the new aeromotive a1000 brushless but at a higher cost.   I'm just going to try this thing again and hope that the issue is resolved for good.  

What's going on with your car?  Last I read it was just some minor issues.   Hope you get it going here soon.

10.95@120mph  https://m.youtube.co...h?v=8Q01UKt5q4U
Built G54B, S364, R154, stock 6-bolt, fireballs

#405 techboy

techboy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,754 posts
  • Interests:80's & 90's turbo charged cars.
  • Model:Starion

Posted 27 September 2020 - 09:55 PM

View Postkev, on 25 September 2020 - 09:24 AM, said:

I don't wanna clog your thread up with my car issues ... in short I got it all back together but it's leaking oil from somewhere pretty bad.  Seems to coming from the back of the head, but the Cam plug is brand new.  I dunno.  Kinda taking a break b/c I'm frustrated with it right now.

I really hope your pump is good to go.  It's way more fun to drive them.
1988 Starion ESi-R ... crushed by a tree 10/31/11 - back from the dead 8/2016
1988 Conquest TSi ... current driver - sold to Bigjoe 6/2016
1987 Conquest Flatty ... F/S thread - sold 8/2014
1987 Conquest TSi ... parts car - sold to Coldscrip 12/2011
1999 Eclipse 4G63 ... heavily modified.
Feeback Thread | Motor rebuild thread | Restoration thread

Posted Image

#406 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,144 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 10:28 AM

Pump is back in and it's running great again.  Let the pump just run for 20 minutes straight in the garage.  Then fired it up the next day and took it out for about an hour or so.  

Need to start looking into getting this thing tuned.  It pulls hard now at 15 psi but I know there is more potential.   One thing that I noticed is that it takes a bit to re-spool up between gears.  

For that oil leak, it's usually just the VC gasket. It's amazing how much oil can leak out the back near the cam plug.  I've found that everytime I pull the VC, I always remove the seal from the groove and reinstall it.  If I don't, it usually leaks.

#407 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 29 September 2020 - 07:57 PM

Are you running a recirculated BOV? That will help your spool after gear changes

#408 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,144 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 12:40 PM

Itís a BOV capable of recirculation but I have it exhausting into the engine bay currently

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users