So, I'm getting pretty good at this computer stuff

Technology

Don't tell anyone, but I put a cap on my roommate's bandwidth, lmao! It's pretty high (800k/s) so I don't think he'll generally notice, but he's been downloading and playing flash games like a fiend. Anyway, we top out around 1Mbps-1.3Mbps, so that effectively leaves me with up to 500k down of my very own at all times, and if he's not maxxing his limit, I get more. So if anyone thinks I am not going about this in a very friendly manner, it's quite the opposite. I get less than him at full load, and he, being the unfair, selfish, skirt-wearing Scottsman that he is, doesn't get to hog 100% of the available bandwidth. BOOYA!
  • Like 1

Interesting... any info or links to help do this would be useful :D

I have a roommate that downloads like crazy, and it makes it hard to do homework and such when he's on one of his downloading escapades. Thanks!

Yeah, this is me imposing my will on another user. lol. Thanks Rob!

Skyle, I knew nothing about how to do it, just did some basic searches on google. You can find their computer name by looking at your network in windows, then if you have windows 7, click the windows orb, search "cmd" and press enter, then with the command prompt, type "ping -4 [computer]" replace [computer] with his computer name, and it'll give you his assigned IP, then go into your router, find Qos settings, and it might have the option to cap his bandwidth or set limits. I was able to set the minimum and maximum, so I put download to 800k and upload to 1000k.

Don't tell anyone, but I put a cap on my roommate.......

.......I get less than him at full load, and he, being the unfair, selfish, skirt-wearing Scottsman that he is, doesn't get to hog 100%

Yeah, this is me imposing my will on another user. lol. Thanks Rob!

Skyle, I knew nothing about how to do it, just did some basic searches on google. You can find their computer name by looking at your network in windows, then if you have windows 7, click the windows orb, search "cmd" and press enter, then with the command prompt, type "ping -4 [computer]" replace [computer] with his computer name, and it'll give you his assigned IP, then go into your router, find Qos settings, and it might have the option to cap his bandwidth or set limits. I was able to set the minimum and maximum, so I put download to 800k and upload to 1000k.

If you didn't assign him a static IP this is not going to work. Every time the computer boots up it's going to dynamicly asisng an IP within the range of IP's allowed. You might even end up with the caped IP, your TV might end up with the capped IP, your washer dryer might end up with the caped IP ECT.

Most home routers will remember a mac address when they dynamically assign the IP, and they usually keep them set that way unless set otherwise, or the maximum amount of connections has been filled.

-Robert

Mine is a TP-Link and it's all in Chinese. Had to use translate.google.com to work through it. It's pretty slick right now. 100, 101 are optional, and 103-199 are grouped, so I just check my IP when I turn on the computer, if it's not 102, I can un-check the box I need, if he gets 102, I guess it's his lucky day. I haven't actually tested it on myself so I don't know if it's even working. Heck, I don't even know if it's making a difference.

There may be a way actually, but after translating the Chinese to English, I don't know what to do or where to start. It's crazy. Maybe I'll read up on it more later, but for now I think I'm satisfied. Even if he isn't affected by it, the thought that he is pleases me. Like a placebo.