Pics of my MPI buildup

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HA!  They took care of the yard yesterday.  Was starting to wonder.   ;)

Oil return line seems to be working fine, 500 miles and no smoke.

And Mike, you were off on the dyno.   :(  Base run 10psi yielded 220whp and torque was 5xx (tach signal wasn't real clean)  so basically torque unknown.  When it came off the dyno @ 17psi it was 294whp 340'stq.  I don't have the chart, he didn't print it out but will upload it on his site.  I was on for a little over 3 hours and did about 25 pulls so I'm not sure what hes going to use.  Guess base and best?  I did learn that above 12psi fuel shoots out of my intake manifold were the runners meet the head plate.   >:(  So I'm going to have to pull the intake back off and have it welded.  I'm pretty dissapointed although it does feel awesome on the street, still not the power I wanted.  Guess I'll get the intake fixed, put another 500 miles on the car and run some C16 and see what it does on hi boost.  If I'm still dissapointed I'll sell everything I just did and do the 4G swap.  I already know several combinations with that engine that will yield me the #'s I want.  I don't know if its the head or log manifold holding me off or both?  Its bad when my buddies 1.6 honda puts down 72 more whp at 15psi than I do at 17psi with a full litre on him.   :-/  I might be able to run a few more pounds on pump since I got a lot lowe compression than the hondas he builds  and get 310ish whp out of it but we didn't do any more pulls after we saw the fuel leak.  I had a good mind to get a fire extinquisher, call insurance show reciepts of $14K then let the complain catch on fire.

HA!  They took care of the yard yesterday.  Was starting to wonder.   ;)

Oil return line seems to be working fine, 500 miles and no smoke.

And Mike, you were off on the dyno.   :(  Base run 10psi yielded 220whp and torque was 5xx (tach signal wasn't real clean)  so basically torque unknown.  When it came off the dyno @ 17psi it was 294whp 340'stq.  I don't have the chart, he didn't print it out but will upload it on his site.  I was on for a little over 3 hours and did about 25 pulls so I'm not sure what hes going to use.  Guess base and best?  I did learn that above 12psi fuel shoots out of my intake manifold were the runners meet the head plate.   >:(  So I'm going to have to pull the intake back off and have it welded.  I'm pretty dissapointed although it does feel awesome on the street, still not the power I wanted.  Guess I'll get the intake fixed, put another 500 miles on the car and run some C16 and see what it does on hi boost.  If I'm still dissapointed I'll sell everything I just did and do the 4G swap.  I already know several combinations with that engine that will yield me the #'s I want.  I don't know if its the head or log manifold holding me off or both?  Its bad when my buddies 1.6 honda puts down 72 more whp at 15psi than I do at 17psi with a full litre on him.   :-/  I might be able to run a few more pounds on pump since I got a lot lowe compression than the hondas he builds  and get 310ish whp out of it but we didn't do any more pulls after we saw the fuel leak.  I had a good mind to get a fire extinquisher, call insurance show reciepts of $14K then let the complain catch on fire.

Get those issues dialed in before you start thinking the motor can't do it...cuz it can.

Don't let it get you all pissed man...I know how you feel...worse yet I lost a motor on the dyno....best pull for me was on a super 20G was 259RWHP and 345WR W/lbs/ft for me.

One thing is the HP numbers will never have a big ratio like those small motors...I have  yet to see people come close to having a close ratio HP vs TQ.

My 60-1 T4 is making 500+ WHP on the DSM...however I won't be able to hit those numbers...

There's no shame in almost 300WHP! !

Get it dialed in more and keep your head up...it'll work out... ;)

That sounds really sketchy to have fule shooting out at 12psi and above. Are there pin holes in the welds? I would think thats going to affect the entire power curve a good bit even at lower boost.

You're running a modified stock exhaust manifold right?  That maybe you bottle neck although strangely enough thats what EIP was using on both of their cars.

Your numbers are inline with what I had with my hybrid 20G at 25 psi on pump gas.(308whp 342 tq).  With that big turbo and a low compression motor I'm sure you'll be able to run 20 + psi on 93oct pump gas.  Even an incease in 4psi will get you 40 to 50 hp.  Were you using a DynoJet or Mustang Dyno?

Keep working at it. Its only spring.  If you can get that intake sorted out, by July you'll be knocking on the door of 400whp.

I ran 22-23psi in my laser on pump, but didn't know how high I could take this engine on this turbo.  The intake was custom made and the welds were ground down (by Chad not me) where the runners meet the head plate so the nuts would clear to bolt it up.  I'm sure Chad would fix it for free if I shipped it back to him but that would just be stupid with me knowing several people that can weld, not including all the welding shops we have around here!  Its a  hair like crack, I can't even get a pic of it.  But you can see where the fuel has been coming otu in a  pic.  Leaves behind a  good tracer.

Getting back to pump whp, if I can run 22 23 psi on pump w/o issues then I will be a lot happier with the car!  I want a min of 350whp on pump and more along the lines of 390 is what I was hoping for.

Oh, it is a dynojet and my motor has 8.2 wiseco's from Midwest in it.

Don't be too dissappointed, that was the first time at the dyno and there are always bugs to be worked out. The main reason the hondas make so much power is because their heads flow a hell of alot more air then ours do. If you can get a really good ported head bolted up I garantee you'll put more power down, simply because it flows more air.... Keep working at it, no shame in our game, we're working with a sohc IRON lump and it's pretty solid, so I'm going to say it will take some more punishment...

Keep on it man, don't give up too fast...

That sounds really sketchy to have fule shooting out at 12psi and above. Are there pin holes in the welds? I would think thats going to affect the entire power curve a good bit even at lower boost.

You're running a modified stock exhaust manifold right?  That maybe you bottle neck although strangely enough thats what EIP was using on both of their cars.

Your numbers are inline with what I had with my hybrid 20G at 25 psi on pump gas.(308whp 342 tq).  With that big turbo and a low compression motor I'm sure you'll be able to run 20 + psi on 93oct pump gas.  Even an incease in 4psi will get you 40 to 50 hp.  Were you using a DynoJet or Mustang Dyno?

Keep working at it. Its only spring.  If you can get that intake sorted out, by July you'll be knocking on the door of 400whp.

I agree on the leaks...just look at his boost increase though, he made a wopping 10WHP for every pound of boost he went up!!  :o  That's extremely good!!