Aluminum Radiator

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i just got my griffin rad. in tonight.   it was interesting finding a lower hose that would work and im still not entirely happy with what i have but itll work for now.  i ran a 16" fan from  the a/c puller setup out of a dodge dakota/durango.  it took a little thinning of thehousing and some custom brackets but it clears just fine and pulls air like no tommorow.   i did have to modify the bottom of the hood.  it wouold have been fine if it hadnt been for the neck and cap. anyways i cut a square out of the bracing for the cap and its fine.  i might still go back and trim the lower frame brackets but i was in a hurry to make it to a meet tommorow so the hole in the hood took like 10 mins versus a couple hours cutting and welding.   as for the thermostatic switch.  i took out thermosensor thingy that has two vacum nipples.(i never figured out just what that thing does anyways) i used a metric to standard adapter and put the 180 degree fan switch in the intake.  im not sure how this will end up to work but on its initial drive home it seemed to work just fine.  temps stayed way down, in fact im not even sure it ever came out of closed loop. might need a hotter t-stat.

what did you guys do for a lower radiator hose?  pics would be most helpfull.

I had to cut a chunk of my hood to get the neck to fit, although my radiator is a "Be Cool" one, which was supposed to measure lower (18X25) :-/

The stock thermosensor switch changes vacuum to switch a solenoid to make the evaporative canister work (that purges fuel fumes from gas tank), whew :o

For the lower hose, I went into Autozone and looked at a crapload of  hoses for like an hour.  I know, it's not scientific, but it fit right after some cutting. It passes around the power steering pump  right and doesn't rub on anything. I'll see if I saved the part number. ;D

$180

80s turbo nissan 3 core professionally modified for exact stock fit. Cool's good

Zirgo 16" 3,300cfm electric fan- so quiet you can't tell when it's on when the car is running.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/202062/VHYDV-000_0748.JPG

• 5 months later...

a few more pix.

here is where I installed the sensor from the radiator. screws right in.

even though the water in this part of the engine is warmer than the bottom of the radiator, I guess its not so different after all. I tried using the yellow sensor from the smaller fan but that one kicks in too late. with this sensor, the temperature doesn't go one degree past 180.

http://home.earthlink.net/~artinist/images/misc/radiator/myrad7.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~artinist/images/misc/radiator/myrad6.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~artinist/images/misc/radiator/myrad5.jpg

• 4 months later...

more pics as requested. if i remember correctly, the lower hose is just a stock hose thats been shortened but a couple of inches. i pulled a piece of intercooler plumbing over it for additional protection. there is about a 1/4" clearance with the powersteering pulley.

also if you notice down below on the passenger side, i have bolted down a bracket to keep the radiator from moving to the passenger side under hard turns or else my fan motor might rub against the water pump pulley.

I am sure everyone has a different fan setup and if your trouble is clearance of the lower water line and the steering pulley, then you can put some spacer like that on the drivers side to move the radiator all the way to the passenger side to make a little more clearance.

http://home.earthlink.net/~artinist/images/misc/radiator/myrad8.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~artinist/images/misc/radiator/myrad9.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

oh ok there is alot of Radiator upgrade 100 % ALUMINUM for our rides, but i would like to know which one is the best i mean the cheapest price for a aluminum radiator upgrade is it th griffin, be_cool, which one could be the best radiator cheap and also which radiator will be the LESS(-) modification work that we need to do for us to have it fit to our rides starion/conquest tsi, you know like cutting or welding, and stuff like that, and also which one will be the expensive radiator and less modification to do cutting or welding the less work that we need to do in a upgrade radiator aluminum, please anyone help me out in this one thanks for all of you....

p.s. some guys tells me to get a good radiator that cost around 350 to 400, BUCKS, i know what people says, you get what you pay, so in another words, if you pay less you get less improvement and if you pay more you get more improvement(performance), what ever that what i think i only want its just to have a good safe bigger radiator or have a big enough radiator aluminum to fit my starion without cutting any interior parts to my starion or conquest, so please if anyone can help me out thanks for everything and have a good one...

• 2 weeks later...

I fixed the problem of the radiator constantly being 1/4 empty.

I got this hugh catch can out of a pontiac. i had a trouble finding a space for it.

now the radiator stays full all the time.

http://home.earthlink.net/~artinist/images/misc/radiator/myrad10.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I have three Quests with these radiators and they are all 3" thick. I have flex fans on all three of them. I haven't tried the clutch fan.

• 1 year later...

just got my 89 TSi, it was overheating about 28 miles into the drive.....so I just bit the bullet parked it on the side of the road to cool and purchased the griffin and a 1350cfm pull fan that I will wire to be on all the time....

I will go get it tomorrow and introduce myself with proper pics.....

This was a great search find sorry for bringing back the dead thread!

just got my 89 TSi, it was overheating about 28 miles into the drive.....so I just bit the bullet parked it on the side of the road to cool and purchased the griffin and a 1350cfm pull fan that I will wire to be on all the time....

I will go get it tomorrow and introduce myself with proper pics.....

This was a great search find sorry for bringing back the dead thread!

what griffin did you get?

I got my universal chevy style radiator from Jegs and it's getting my AN fittings welded on at the moment...

It was only $150 bucks.

Ill have pics next week sometime.

hey sam

wat AN fitting are you having welded on??? the top and lower hoses????

wat dash 20?????

• 2 weeks later...