Steering Coupler Replacement

psu_Crash

Finally got around to ordering one from Randy (Dad) and I'm just wondering how much of a PITA it's going to be to change this. The FSM doesn't make it sound too bad but we all know how that goes. "I can change that in an afternoon!" .... 3 long days later it finally gets done.

Any pointers are much appreciated!

I figure it has to be a piece of cake compared to changing out the steering box. If only I had known the box was fine but the coupler wasn't ....

Edited by psu_Crash

That's not very encouraging Jahjah .... I WILL get that sucker out one way or another

i know man, i had some HEAVY duty magnets but just couldn't get the sucker out.

took out my whole column and brought it to work and had a body guy weld it for me.

Wow ... the guide makes it look like you can get to the coupler clamp from under the hood. Unless you take the intake manifold off THERE IS NO WAY THAT'S HAPPENING! When I changed the steering box the only way to get to it was from underneath with the car on a lift and it was still no fun to get to.

Hopefully i will have some time this weekend to give it a shot ...

Thanks for the link guys!

I brought my car in the shop- drove it out 4 hrs later with a new coupler installed.

Dad

Now that's what I like to hear! But then again Randy you are like a superhero to us!

If you can do it in 4, I completely expect it to take me 8

I'll let you all know how it goes .... gulp ...

Ok .. so i am now 5 hours into it and I have everything out. How the hell are you supposed to get those pins out with a magnet?

I let it soak in WD-40 for a while and for the last hour i have been tapping it with a hammer while trying to get the pins out with no luck at all, and i have one serious magnet.

Any suggetions? Thinking about trying to drill the SOB out or tack welding something to it that I can get ahold of.

Go to the hardware store and buy a 100lb pull or larger magnet. Mine cost around 10 bucks. I could only get one pin out. It's best to use two people. Put the coupler on the ground and push down on the column while the other person tries to get it out with the magnet. You have to slightly compress the spring inside to make the pins float. Gently moving the column around while pushing can also help. DON'T HIT THE PIN WITH A PUNCH YOU'LL NEVER GET IT OUT WITH A MAGNET AFTER THAT. I got one out with the magnet but the other just wouldn't budge so I cut a slot in the coupler on both sides of the pin all the way to the end of the coupler. You're basically removing the part under the pin so the coupler can slide off of the pin. I used a dremel with a cutting wheel. You must be VERY careful not to cut into the bearing surface of the pivot. If you remove the pivot pin remember the orientation of the pivot. If you put it on upside down the holes won't line up with the shaft hole and you'll damage the pin trying to press it in.

Thanks Marso!

I am about to head to the hardware store ... so

WISH ME LUCK!

Edit:

Went and bought a 150 pound pull magnet. That thing is a monster! then rocked, pushed, wiggled and even made a plastic jig to hold the magnet about 1/8" above the pin. Called some friends over to watch the show and give me a hand.

You have got to be kidding me. STILL won't budge. Going to go to the mitsu dealer tomorrow and make them get it out.

After several hours of severe frustration I am done

Edited by psu_Crash

Yep

I took the shaft out and pressed it against the floor with varying force while a friend tried to get the pin out.

What kills me is that with a magnet I can actually get the pin to wiggle a little and come out on both sides just far enough to feel the edge of it, but I can't for the life of me get the things out. So it's not like they have been jammed in there.

Edited by psu_Crash

Dremel to the rescue!

Brought it to the mitsu garage and they looked at me like I had a third eye. Then they couldn't get it out either.

Went to a second garage and they couldn't get it. Guy says cut it off!

Sooo .... Cut slots in it, broke the piece out with a screwdriver and the pins FELL out! Should have just done that to start with i guess. Took 5 minutes

Must have been burred around the top edge from some thing (or someone before me) is all I can figure

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/8674/20267494.jpg

Edited by psu_Crash

That coupler didn't look all that bad. I pulled a couple and one of them was complete garbage. One coupler was still in pretty good shape so I reinspected my steering linkage and it turned out most of the steering play was coming from the linkage.

Those pins are tough to pull.

The coupler didn't seem to be in too bad shape. The part of it that looked like crap were the splines that connect to the steering box. Looks like that clamp must have loosened up a little at some point and there was almost no spline left in there. I still have some play but a fraction of what it was.

I will hunt down the cause of the rest of the play on the next warm day.

Dremel to the rescue!

Brought it to the mitsu garage and they looked at me like I had a third eye. Then they couldn't get it out either.

Went to a second garage and they couldn't get it. Guy says cut it off!

Sooo .... Cut slots in it, broke the piece out with a screwdriver and the pins FELL out! Should have just done that to start with i guess. Took 5 minutes

Must have been burred around the top edge from some thing (or someone before me) is all I can figure

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/8674/20267494.jpg

I see you took my advise. Easiest way to get them out if you can't get them out with a magnet.