Thoughts on the 4g63 engine in the quest

Dragon87

I am interested in doing this conversion.  Let me know the pros and cons and the details on what and how to do it.  

This will be a 1 yr deliverable.  When I get the information I will buy the engine and work on it outside the car.  once it is all done I will drop her in!

I can't wait !

;D

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Metric Man,

Your link does not convince me that this conversion is worth doing.  Also your little ram head diamond star logo is bunk.  The only thing that Chrysler Corp had to do with the Conquest was slap their name on the title.

Wow, this thread is back from the dead.  :D

http://www.26liter.us/media/Videos/joedogracing11sec.wmv

http://www.26liter.us/media/Videos/joedog.mpg

http://www.26liter.us/media/Videos/joedogwalkaround.mpg

8/12/03 updated links to point to where the vids are now.

CJ

my history may be wrong but didnt mitsu buy up chryslr to keep the company from falling apart?? anyways do the swap for yourself, doesnt matter on anyones opinion really.  but to be honest with you i own a starion and a talon and like the cars for what they are.  i have the best of both worlds, if anything i wish my starion had AWD.

when looking at JDM 4g63s Price from 900 -1400 Complete low miles-

td04-auto car turbo(small) tiny manifold (DONT REALLY WANT THIS MODEL)  

89-91 GVR-4

td05-14b   injectors are blue(450cc) turbo vanes are ALL same size 210hp-187trq

91-93   20% chance finding this one

td05-16g   injectors blue (450cc) turbo vanes alternate big small big...HP? ;D

91-93 RS version motor

td05BIG-16g  injectors are yellow (510cc) turbo vanes alternate big small big....

Mitsu motors only makes up 3% of Mitsu heavy industries.... so saying that the CCorp. owned 40% of the motor company may be true, but, but in the end who owned who? :)lol

haha... i'll believe that. when you go to japan you'll see all things mitsu... elevators, escalators, tv's, you name it. ;D and of course all the fuso trucks and buses they use to shuttle cargo and people at the airports too (they're everywhere!) ;)

Once again the 4g63 starts arguements. You seem already decieded to do the swap, actually excited! Good for you, if you are going to enjoy the work and the results more power to you. I like my g54b. It's been rebuilt, forged, no BS, noJV head, balanced. 19c turbo, Kelly's 3" exhaust with the walker17223, sounds like a V8!1G mas to be done tomorrow.RRFPR but still not enough fuel for the 19c so I'm adding a 3rd injector for less than $100. and it will be completely tuneable. I have an idea for a cold air package and I'd like to get the distributor recurved. What total advance do these engines like?Lizzord?all in by 2500rpm. When I beat someone I'll have a relaxed satisfaction that I did it with a forklift motor. These are torque motors, great for the street. Sorry I got off track, enjoy your swap, it's what makes you happy that counts! Good Luck, Mark

go for it.what are goels with the car.my goels are 9's.it wasnt a bad swap did it with a small shop and lots of research.the car looks stock and drives stock.for the money there is no 2.6 that will hang.i got under 8k the hole car(including the car) with over 440hp at the wheels.the car is fun,goes strate and just with drag readiels pulls 1.7 60 foots(stock suspension).bad parts is these tranys suck.even the dsm awd tranys take more abuse and try shifting one at 8500 rpm just doesnt happen.when you get over 400hp and running 11's the trany just will not hold for long.putting a gm auto in it or i have bine thinking about selling it and just building another talon.i dont wont to go into details.spent to many hours on the phone with peaple that just bail out of the project.good luck and if you have certain ?? just ask.

go for it.what are goels with the car.my goels are 9's.it wasnt a bad swap did it with a small shop and lots of research.the car looks stock and drives stock.for the money there is no 2.6 that will hang.i got under 8k the hole car(including the car) with over 440hp at the wheels.the car is fun,goes strate and just with drag readiels pulls 1.7 60 foots(stock suspension).bad parts is these tranys suck.even the dsm awd tranys take more abuse and try shifting one at 8500 rpm just doesnt happen.when you get over 400hp and running 11's the trany just will not hold for long.putting a gm auto in it or i have bine thinking about selling it and just building another talon.i dont wont to go into details.spent to many hours on the phone with peaple that just bail out of the project.good luck and if you have certain ?? just ask.

Just one question.. What bellhousing did you use to allow you to run the starquest transmission?  

• 3 weeks later...
I had the same thought on the conversion. Still got the turbo 4g63 on the engine stand though. Starquest tranny bellhousing is intergeral, meaning it is cast into the tranny. Nothing is close as far as bolt holes. The Starquest flywheel is alot bigger. Rumor has it that the D-50 and MightyMax trannys will bolt up, but until I got one bolted onto my engine I won't beleive it. Another thing to consider is the Thermostat housing will probably be relocated. Since there is no other water outlets on the head a remote thermostate housing will have to be constructed. The turbo will have to be unbolted and turned around and also drill out the locating dowl so you can turn the compressor housing to get the right angle of the dangle. Throttle body will have to be relocate to the other end or the center of the intake(upwards like the quest)All in all alot of fabricating. If you get the tranny thing figured out please let me know. I love the 4g63 engine but can't justify the B.S. to get it in quite yet.

The Starquest flywheel is alot bigger. Rumor has it that the D-50 and MightyMax trannys will bolt up, but until I got one bolted onto my engine I won't beleive it. Another thing to consider is the Thermostat housing will probably be relocated. Since there is no other water outlets on the head a remote thermostate housing will have to be constructed. The turbo will have to be unbolted and turned around and also drill out the locating dowl so you can turn the compressor housing to get the right angle of the dangle. Throttle body will have to be relocate to the other end or the center of the intake(upwards like the quest)All in all alot of fabricating. If you get the tranny thing figured out please let me know. I love the 4g63 engine but can't justify the B.S. to get it in quite yet.

There is a lot of modification required you're right about that. It is easy but not exactly a one day job kind of deal. The 2.0 5-speed D50 or mighty max tranny does bolt in as I have one for my starlet right here. I will take some pictures of it bolted up to my motor tomorrow so you guys can see and believe ;)

As far as thermostat housing relocator, there is a freeze plug on the timing belt side of the head that you can take out and make a relocator off of that. I will have pictures soon of that also. Not hard at all to copy.

Throttlebody relocation is not a big deal either you just need to have somebody that can weld. Some places will charge quite a bit some will charge you $50 not a big deal at all.

Yes you turn the turbo 180 around. Not a big deal again. You don't have to touch the compressor housing. No reason to.

I think the "trouble" is worth it. I am not familiar with the starion motor so I'm not going to sit here and say it sucks etc. However one could argue the 4G63 to be one of the best if not the best 4cyl production motor out there next to the SR20DET.

what year truck(d50/mightymax) is this that i should ask for/go looking for?The ones I have seen around locally have the 2.4 engine or a 2.6.The tranny

thing is the only thing holding me back from this swap.The other stuff I can get relatively easy.My stock 5 speed has troubles too so why not swap it all.

granted the 2.6 is a torque monster of a engine but aftermarket support is sad and it seems as if what was once a decent aftermarket is dwindling.Yeah there are individuals with good stuff but for what it would cost me to do a mpi swap I could get a motor and tranny for.

Not trying to fuel and argument just want the good info on the swap.

If you can find a 2.0T from Japan w/the yellow injectors the motor has 251hp!

Ebay has one or had one just end I 've been watching but its 1800 bux

I bought my 2.0T for 700 shipped with 30k and a new turbo- Its a 91 1st gen

w/all accessories and harness.

Where did you find that great deal? I'm still looking for a new motor for my starion. no luck yet. Has anyone heard about cyclone engines?

Thanks for the pics!! So all bolt holes line up huh? Starter and flywheel all work too? You never told us what years they run this tranny in.  Thanks again. I may drag the 2.0 liter idea out of moth balls.

Yes all bolt ups perfectly. I did not have a flywheel or anything on there because I was just using it to put a pic up. You use fwd flywheel and take it to a machine shop to have pilot bearing put in. You can get this off any 2.0 mighty max or d50. I beleive the newer ones came with hydraulic clutch. Those would be nicer not to mention less miles etc. This one I belive was off a 88 so cable clutch. Not hard to make hydraulic though. This one might be forsale soon as I probably will just use the same tranny as in the conquest.