Another 2.6 Bites the Dust.

GCNTSi

I built this motor just a year and a half ago, I don't think I even got 5k miles on it, changed the oil probably 5 times. I dunno whats up with this thing, this is the second time I rebuilt this motor, the first time I didn't even get 1500 miles on it before a rod knock. The second build I went all out on the 2.6 I spent over $3k in this thing, and I don't know what to do with it. And I can't afford to do that again right now.

I guess the machinists' don't know how to use their own equipment, this time they polished my crank and said it was good, which was already turned 10/10. I had even plasti-gauged it and it looked within spec.

I think my Quest is cursed, I have owned my white one now for 10 years now, and only able to put about 10k miles on it, now it's claimed it's 4th motor, and yes I have cleaned everything out, oil cooler, lines, intercooler and lines, absolutely everything, first took it to the machine shop for cleaning and then I cleaned it myself before installing anything, rebuilt the turbo, I just don't get it.

I'm thinking of throwing my head onto the old factory short block that I have had sitting in the garage, maybe put that into my 2 door Montero, and going 4G63T, or V8 the Quest, just tired of the problems I've had with this 2.6.

Any ideas?-

-GCNTSi.

don't be so fast to place the cause or blame,,it's not always the big things more engines are distroy'd by small things, things you do with out knowing you did them,

like this pic,,it's posible that n one even knew they start'd some thing that was gona lead to total failure, when they rest'd the engine on the floor of some thing with no oil pan , but when they did it push'd the oil pick up screen up against the isupply pipes leaveing a very small opening for oil to enter,, along comes a little dirt and trash and ,there goes another rebuild

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10009/Natiles__b_day_020.jpg

I just tossed a pick up that looked just like shelby had a pic of.

Get back in and fix it right...... something got overlooked.

Dad

I built this motor just a year and a half ago, I don't think I even got 5k miles on it, changed the oil probably 5 times. I dunno whats up with this thing, this is the second time I rebuilt this motor, the first time I didn't even get 1500 miles on it before a rod knock. The second build I went all out on the 2.6 I spent over $3k in this thing, and I don't know what to do with it. And I can't afford to do that again right now.

I guess the machinists' don't know how to use their own equipment, this time they polished my crank and said it was good, which was already turned 10/10. I had even plasti-gauged it and it looked within spec.

I think my Quest is cursed, I have owned my white one now for 10 years now, and only able to put about 10k miles on it, now it's claimed it's 4th motor, and yes I have cleaned everything out, oil cooler, lines, intercooler and lines, absolutely everything, first took it to the machine shop for cleaning and then I cleaned it myself before installing anything, rebuilt the turbo, I just don't get it.

I'm thinking of throwing my head onto the old factory short block that I have had sitting in the garage, maybe put that into my 2 door Montero, and going 4G63T, or V8 the Quest, just tired of the problems I've had with this 2.6.

Any ideas?-

-GCNTSi.

So, Did you have the rods done???? Who did the engine assembly, you or the machine shop ???

CALIBER 308

Edited by Caliber308

one of the most important things you'l ever do , is not rip an engine apart but look for the cause of the failure,,no brgs just fail , they fail because of miss use or lack of oil lube,,

i'm not sure why guys will look at that pic of an oil pick up being bent and not grasp the meaning of what they are looking at,, thats it plain and simple thats all you need to cause a brg failure ,,this talk of the brgs aren't clearance'd right or the machinest did't know his but from a hole in the ground is bunk

all you need is a couple loose pieces of rtv,, trash and for that to be in the wrong spot ,

building an engine is not rocket science but doing so and for it to last 150k is ,,TLC goes further then any mount of money towards makeing an engine last ,,it's the little over look'd things that over and over is done with out finding the cause for the oreg failure ,,if you do not find and correect the oreg cause it is gona happen over and over till that cause is correct'd that is a fact of life

and if you found no cause for the oerg failure your certianly not ready to put the engine back togather

one of the most important things you'l ever do , is not rip an engine apart but look for the cause of the failure,,no brgs just fail , they fail because of miss use or lack of oil lube,,

i'm not sure why guys will look at that pic of an oil pick up being bent and not grasp the meaning of what they are looking at,, thats it plain and simple thats all you need to cause a brg failure ,,this talk of the brgs aren't clearance'd right or the machinest did't know his but from a hole in the ground is bunk

all you need is a couple loose pieces of rtv,, trash and for that to be in the wrong spot ,

building an engine is not rocket science but doing so and for it to last 150k is ,,TLC goes further then any mount of money towards makeing an engine last ,,it's the little over look'd things that over and over is done with out finding the cause for the oreg failure ,,if you do not find and correect the oreg cause it is gona happen over and over till that cause is correct'd that is a fact of life

and if you found no cause for the oerg failure your certianly not ready to put the engine back togather

Ah c'mon man you can't tell from the description "rod knock" what the cause is? :character0032: :biggrinumbrella1:

I feel your pain...

im on motor #3.....

#3 was cuz I never replaced my oil pump......... I kno...

only if that oil pump has a mechanical problem,, odds of an oil pump causeing an engine failure are very slim , now oil pick up tube oring now thats a diff story

Have you looked at the bearing yet? 99% of the time spun bearings are caused by lack of oil. Either too much, not enough, or just a bad o ring at the pick-up, etc. What manafacture are the bearings? You know you can send them to the bearing engineering dept. and have them checked for free. They can tell you if dirt caused it, and what type of material it was that caused it. But turn around is about 6+ weeks. I know Clevite and Sealed Power will do it.

nearly the only way the brgs will go bad is some one mix'd up the rod caps,, or the crank polisher under turn'd the crank journals , or the engine was put togather from haveing spun brg before and NOT have the rod big ends recheck'd for being round ,,each and every time a brg is spun the big end is mess'd up