My '87 Rehabilitation Thread

wire

Not sure where to put this, so...

Ahoy, starquest! I don't own a Starion or a Conquest, but I'm really interested in acquiring one. I joined to get whatever useful information I could from owners before getting one. So, that being said, here's what you should know:

I'm 17, turning 18 in March (please don't jump to the whole "he's-an-idiot-he'll-wrap-it-around-a-tree" conclusion. I don't do stupid things with my car; I never race, drop the clutch, etc.). Currently on my first car, a 1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS. I love it. Unfortunately, it has 176,XXX on the clock, and keeping up with the parts which fail one-at-a-time is kinda difficult. So I thought "what could I buy that isn't gonna break the bank, and would be a bit of fun?" Saw an episode of Top Gear featuring the Starion, and I was sold.

So, if there are any points I should know about Starions/Conquests, I'd love to know what I should be looking for. Also any recalls, notoriously weak or persnickety parts, hard to find items, colloquial terms and jargon I'll need to know (for instance I'm assuming flat-body is the model that doesn't have flared fenders).

Thanks

Edited by wire

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure where to put this, so...

Ahoy, starquest! I don't own a Starion or a Conquest, but I'm really interested in acquiring one. I joined to get whatever useful information I could from owners before getting one. So, that being said, here's what you should know:

I'm 17, turning 18 in March (please don't jump to the whole "he's-an-idiot-he'll-wrap-it-around-a-tree" conclusion. I don't do stupid things with my car; I never race, drop the clutch, etc.). Currently on my first car, a 1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS. I love it. Unfortunately, it has 176,XXX on the clock, and keeping up with the parts which fail one-at-a-time is kinda difficult. So I thought "what could I buy that isn't gonna break the bank, and would be a bit of fun?" Saw an episode of Top Gear featuring the Starion, and I was sold.

So, if there are any points I should know about Starions/Conquests, I'd love to know what I should be looking for. Also any recalls, notoriously weak or persnickety parts, hard to find items, colloquial terms and jargon I'll need to know (for instance I'm assuming flat-body is the model that doesn't have flared fenders).

Thanks

Welcome! I'm going to see about a mod moving this into Just Plain Ole BS since ultimately its where it belongs :D No worries though ;)

Try to find one that hasn't been modified. Avoid anything with rust. Flatty = flatbody, flared fenders = widebody. If at all possible, get an 88/89 as they have the best of the best in terms of ECU, injection, transmission etc. All widebodies are intercooled, all flatbodies are not, EXCEPT for a hard to find 85.5. It says TURBO INTERCOOLED down the side.

No recalls really, ignitors can go bad on the 87s, but its easily upgraded to an 88/89. Watch for leaking injectors, and hack job wiring. Take my advice, you do NOT want to reverse engineer, or try to figure out how the hell they wired something, why, and what will happen when you remove it.... <_<

o and i c wat u did thar :ph34r:

Edited by Fanta

thanks, just pm'd him. i was just watching the top gear clip on the TG website, to try and see how much room Jeremy has (he's a big boy), and then i remembered about that "extra boost" thing he talks about. not to sound like a nubcakes, cuz the guy probably did it in his garage, but does anyone know what it was exactly? intercooler sprayer? allows higher psi? ECU witchcraft?

thanks, just pm'd him. i was just watching the top gear clip on the TG website, to try and see how much room Jeremy has (he's a big boy), and then i remembered about that "extra boost" thing he talks about. not to sound like a nubcakes, cuz the guy probably did it in his garage, but does anyone know what it was exactly? intercooler sprayer? allows higher psi? ECU witchcraft?

On the 88/89 there's no fuel cut ( with the ECUs ) - anyways what he seemed to do was flip a switch, to allow more boost so it seemed to be some sort of ghetto electronic boost controller :lol:

On the 88/89 there's no fuel cut ( with the ECUs ) - anyways what he seemed to do was flip a switch, to allow more boost so it seemed to be some sort of ghetto electronic boost controller :lol:

I think it was an old school O2 sensor trick somehow getting them to make the FI run full rich.....

I like the ECU witchcraft line.

Here's what you need to know about the ecu. It runs the clock.

If you have a problem, unplug things until it gets better, then replace that part. You can run the car with about 3 sensors hooked up, the mass air sensor, the distributor wire and the injectors. thats' actually two sensors, and injectors, but it really helps to have the ECU CTS hooked up. that would be a good idea.

Don't do anything I just said.

that don't always work,,unpluging nessarry items tend to kill every thing keep that in mind :), things like fuel pump, ign system, injs ;)

no but wiggling things works

or in my case, just disconnect and reconnect the negative terminal. Or keep turning the key :lol:

Take my advice. Buy a stock one, or one that is well taken care of. I have no regrets about my car, for me its part of a learning journey. But sometimes its just frustrating.

I'm 17, turning 18 in March (please don't jump to the whole "he's-an-idiot-he'll-wrap-it-around-a-tree" conclusion. I don't do stupid things with my car; I never race, drop the clutch, etc.).

................................................................................

not going to say any thing more then on average your age group is 10 times more likely to wreck their car then an older person and usually it's because of over confidence

if fixing things that fail one at a time is hard try fixing them when they fail 2 or 3 diff things at once , so what your realy saying is it's agrivateing trying to keep a record of what all needs atention and what does not , not that your actualy fixing or giveing them the atention they need ;)

have fun and try like hell to stay alive , welcome aboard

So your looking for a reliable starquest? I think i see a flaw in your plan

I was afraid that's what the overwhelming response would be. What I'm hoping is that I can score one that for all intents and purposes will just stay in one piece for my college career, and then we'll see how long it can manage from there haha. On that note, are SQs with rebuilt engines worth looking at? I've seen a couple of them on craigslist that have had the guts replaced XX miles ago. Not sure how I feel about that.

not going to say any thing more then on average your age group is 10 times more likely to wreck their car then an older person and usually it's because of over confidence

I know people who have totalled cars street racing, and I know people who totalled cars showing off with friends in the car. My friends know I'm too protective of my cars to let that happen. Just the other day I was driving home on the freeway at about 11:30 pm: I get on behind a brand new stock WRX (not an STI). I change to the lane left of him because I have a while before my exit comes up. This guy wants to go. He keeps dropping speed to try and get next to me and then jumping forward. Finally he takes off at like 100-105. I maintain speed, hoping he flushes out the po-pos for me, because I am still doing 80, which is technically illegal, but not obscene.

I appreciate the restraint though.

EDIT: I also appreciate the warm welcome. I know plenty of other forums that would have disentigrated into madness by now. it must be these bomb diggity smilies :ninjaturtle:

Edited by wire

So your looking for a reliable starquest? I think i see a flaw in your plan

I don't. It can be done and there are many on here.

Welcome to the boards and the addiction! You say you don't want to spend money on the Subie, well wait untilyou get one of these; big ol money pit when you first get them. Read, know, and be able to recite the FAQ section and head over to starquest.i-x.net and check out Proffesor Quests Manuals, great info there.

In any case, stay a while and welcome to our family. :)

Welcome to the boards and the addiction! You say you don't want to spend money on the Subie, well wait untilyou get one of these; big ol money pit when you first get them. Read, know, and be able to recite the FAQ section and head over to starquest.i-x.net and check out Proffesor Quests Manuals, great info there.

In any case, stay a while and welcome to our family. :)

Well its not necessarily that I don't enjoy spending money on it, I just don't like spending money on repairs hahaha. here is the Scoob

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn130/volleyballurrrr/Apex%20Photoshoot/DSC04138.jpg

Advan RGs good. New catalytic converter bad.

I'll check out the FAQs there, thanks

Edited by wire

Well its not necessarily that I don't enjoy spending money on it, I just don't like spending money on repairs hahaha. here is the Scoob

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn130/volleyballurrrr/Apex%20Photoshoot/DSC04138.jpg

Advan RGs good. New catalytic converter bad.

I'll check out the FAQs there, thanks

That's a pretty clean 2.5RS. I've always loved the white ones, but first time I've seen one with advan rg's on them.