any  one else have stock  cam timeing findings

Shelby

I am pulling my head tomorrow, putting the 9116 Head set with new bolts and the JV elimination plugs in. What do you need me to check before I disassemble? Ill check it for ya and let ya know>>

yes i want to learn how i can check it. i have a 87 and 88 and am looking in to getting an  adjustable timing gear for them and need to know how i can set the timing.

is the timing setting, 25 deg before top  dead center  for the intake valves?

thanks Shelby!

the  only  spec's i  can find for our  stock cams is  25 BTDC  intake valve starts to open, what we need befor  guys start  changeiing cam timeing  is a number of  finding from  say a large enought  number of cars to have a general idea of what the average car is  running at, and also what the cam is at on  some of the  mod'd  engines that have been dyno'd ,it's  fine to say i'm gona  advance my cam or retard it what ever , but with out  deff infomation  on how it  effects  our engines  it'l  be  doing so in the dark

the first couple of times you do this it is a pain in the rear but with pratice it gets  real easy, just  very time consumeing

and sence  theres no site that i have found or heard about that has any spacific info on our  car's it's gona be up to us to  build a referance  libary  of  cam timeing findings  and go from there , the first step is to  record as many   findings as posible  to get a base line on  where they are now

i' go  out on a limb and  bet $5.00 not  one  engine will have the cam  time'd to stock specs,  so the first thing befor  doing a lot of  advanceing and so forth  would be to  dyno a few at stock  timeing specs and then with  diff  advance settings  to find the   best   setting  for  our   engine mods and cam profiles  and the  272 , 284, 292 etc

you can bet the  roller rocker guys are running late , but by how much and is this  hurting  them, thats what  we need to  find out

piston stop , they can be made  real easily, i have 4 or 5  that   many yr's ago we  knock'd the center out of  spark plugs and weld'd in them  bolts that i had  ground the heads of  nice and round, you use diff lengths of bolts for diff engines and diff plugs for  what ever the engine takes, you need to find the  exact  TDC with out the  t-chain  install (or i've found it easier to do this way) but with the head on and  tourqe'd down, the chain gears  need to be on the  crank so the  degree wheel  won't have to be  undone to  install them later

this is because you'l need to  be turning the engine  in both directions

as an alternate  methoid,  if the engine is  assemble'd ,use a flat blade screw driver to maintain  the chain tention on the tentioner side so the  pull side of the  t-chain never sees any slack when  the engine is  rotate'd  backwards

being exact   when finding the TDC point is very important

there are many  ways  of  doing this , and a lot of  diff site will have many diff ways of doing it, same with finding the  cam  center point, but with only one spec to go by the mic-ing of the  intake valve  start of opening  can be measure'd at the  spring retainer, to  be able to measure the closeing point  you 'l need a dial indicator  that will read over 580 tho 600 or more would be  best , with solid  rocker arms, you'l need the  clearance  set  to .006 just as it   normaly runs at , hyd lifters need to  be  at normal  preload and full of oil

theres  a lot of  guys with the smarts  to tell you a lot more then i can about  degreeing a cam , i can  only tell you it's very important  if you realy want to get the most out of your engine

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/cam_degreeing/

This will help give you guys an idea of what needs to be done...in addition to shelby's comments.  I've got all the stuff so I'm planning on doing mine soon...it's 20 degrees out right now so it's gonna have to wait, lol.  The car has all new timing components and a schneider 274 so it'll be interesting to find out where the centerline is.

Good luck!

Nate

Nate  finding the center line is great for cams with a spec  sheet, but  check the  valve opening  time to see if it is opening  at the sepc settings ,  it takes like info  to be able to compair   one  cam timeing  against the others

untill we can get a center line spec  for the stock cams

thanks for the  contribution, it's all appr

Well, a center line spec for the stock cams will help the stock cam people, but you need the spec for whatever cam you're running.

The roller rocker used on the stock cam will definitely need advancing to take full advantage of the rollers.

The stop is made easiest by using a spark plug non-fouler adapter, and threading the small end for a long bolt. You can use the dial indicator on the valvespring for that too, but it's more of a pain.

I think most of ours will be very close to the same dgree retarded from chain slack. Getting a bunch of specs would be great, but I wouldn't trust someone else's reading for my reference. However, we can get close, and know what bushing to use that will help for sure.

• 5 years later...

I have 4 or 5 unsold adjustable cam gears left from the GP (several people backed out)Check the GP section or send me a PM.

Shameless Plug :hmm3grin2orange:

Edited by pagemo