PVC Hardpiping

mstieg

I'm having issues with the crappy stock hoses holding boost and want some info on the turbo to intercooler to OVC pipe PVC setup.  There's no way I can afford the metal kits going around and wouldn't mind buying some plastic plumbing to fix my problem.  

Anybody who has done this PLEASE comment!!

-What pieces will I need?

-Will it fit with the stock MAS can still in there?

-Any other concerns to be addressed with fitting the piping?

-What approximate cost will I be looking at?

I really appreciate the help.  Any other ideas on how to stop those hoses from letting out boost would be helpful as well.

Thanks,

-Matt

This has been done many times before but usually the pipes melt around the turbo.  They actually first get real soft and pliable and turn into an oval shape.  I heard that the industrial PVC is less known for this but it is pretty expensive as well.   Better off to just go with mandrel bent pipes and connectors.  

kev

There is SCD 80, which is better that SCD 40. I think your best bet would be to get some mandrel piping, like Kevin said. www.summitracing.cdom or jegs.com has it. You have to do some cutting and weilding though. This is what I am going to do, when my car is finished. If you don't have access to a weilder you could cut you peices, position then and take them to a shop to have weilded. The other option is to get a couple silicone connectors and connect them where they should be weilded. I think that option might be a little pricey.

Shawn

Guest c89zx7r
Just find a good exhaust shop , they could make you hard pipes cheaper then you think . friend went to detroit MI like 2 years ago and a exhaust shop charged him 250 for a full chrome hard pipe kit including downpipe . exhaust shops are the way to go .

I've seen a good number of people running w/ the PVC, so I was hoping some of you will see this and speak up.  I'd be surprised if they melt, since it's obviously being done!  Maybe it depends on the type of PVC.  Is that what this SCD 80 and 40 talk is?  Not English to me.  Please explain.  Keep it coming guys,

-Matt

Well about two years ago, SQF made up some nice PVC pipes for the airbox.   A lot of people on the boards followed him because it was a nice, cheap, easy mod.   Needless to say, they all melted, lol.    If there are people with PVC pipes on their cars, they will not last.    The orange PVC is the industrial grade stuff and can take higher temps.  This has been discussed in the past but I don't know if anyone actually spend the cash and tried them.   The orange stuff is not cheap!!

kev

I'm having issues with the crappy stock hoses holding boost and want some info on the turbo to intercooler to OVC pipe PVC setup.  There's no way I can afford the metal kits going around and wouldn't mind buying some plastic plumbing to fix my problem.  

Anybody who has done this PLEASE comment!!

-What pieces will I need?

-Will it fit with the stock MAS can still in there?

-Any other concerns to be addressed with fitting the piping?

-What approximate cost will I be looking at?

I really appreciate the help.  Any other ideas on how to stop those hoses from letting out boost would be helpful as well.

Thanks,

-Matt

>:( Don't you dare!  

Upon my first test run w/ boost following the welding on of the RFL BOV on my TEP OVC pipe, all was fine, second run, the stock braided hose going from the turbo to the IC blew clean off at the clamp by the MAS can.  I replaced it even with two clamps, and have been getting some boost leakage ever since.  I've double clamped every connection and it still is leaking.  It shouldn't matter whether stock or PVC or metal on the connection, but I can't trace this anywhere, and was looking to redo it cheap if possible vs hunt for the culprit.  Also I want to make a shorter route to the IC than over the MAS can.  I cut it open in the shape of a mits. logo and it looks sweet, but that ugly black hose covers much of it. :-/

Kev, I appreciate your input, and it seems the general consensus is to avoid the rubbermade intake and leave those parts to the poop chutes.

Any hints on helping to seal up those connections better would be great.  Each connecting hose is a good 2.5-4 inches onto each end of each pipe with two clamps on each end.  I don't know how they could still be leaking boost!   ???

Any sealing glue or something??  I've felt for any air being sucked in during idle with no results either.   I know the BOV isn't the culprit b/c it didn't leak during the first set of runs.

Thanks for the help guys.  Keep it coming

-Matt

They'd last maybe 6 months or more with low/no boost.

But if your boosting alot, they wont last a month....

Trust me, been there done that.

In fact I have PVC on my car right now, but I almost never boost (well never now that my clutch is almost tottally gone). Thats the only reason theyre lasting.

So judging from your last post, I'd say its a bad idea...

maybe bend the beads out a little  more on the spots where the the rubber hose connects...

I have cpvc on my car it has been on there  for 2 years now with no problems it is orange fire sprinkler pipe not cheap .What you need is 3inch 90 2inch 90 3inch to 2 inch reducer bushing 1 lenth of 2 inch pipe . i also used the fire rated red glue. i hope this will help. Larry . ps turbo to mass only.

You will not get away with doing this for 20 bones even using plastic.  For about 50-75 bucks you can have the local muffler shop bend you all of your piping.  Use 2 1/4" exhaust pipe and you won't have any problems.  It won't be mandrel bent, but on a dyno it will produce the same hp as the expensive shisnit.  If you are losing sleep over a couple of superficial creases in your pipe, you have too much time and money on your hands.

Thanks guys.  I'll ask around at some exhaust shops about getting some bends made up.  50-75 is affordable.  Believe me I have neither time nor money on my hands.

Any way to fit a pipe underneath the MAS tube? or will it pretty much have to go the stock route around the MAS can?  No big deal, just curious if it's been done or possible.  I'll prob. go w/ the Eclipse MAS swap eventually.  

I might post under Virtual Mechanic a/t that boost leak prob.  Still no fix yet, but it's colder out than I care to play mr. fixit in.  That's all I got for now.

Like a fat girl in dodgeball....Im out.

-Matt