Power to Weight

BrazilBoy

Heres the deal I had a friend who was into drag racing, so he gutted his Trans-Am. Did all he could to make it as light as possible. But he couldn't get into the 9's for nothing. He thought more power more power. But no extra scratch to get it done. I told him heres a free solution lose a 100lbs and he will get in the 9's and be healthy to boot. He weighed almost 300lbs and was 5'9.. He was pissed to say the least. Eventually I heard he broke his hand and couldn't race his younger and much lighter bro drove and got into the 9's no issues. To this day he says it was begineers luck.

Why is it so many racers in any sport refuse to check themselves when it comes to power to weight?

Heres the deal I had a friend who was into drag racing, so he gutted his Trans-Am. Did all he could to make it as light as possible. But he couldn't get into the 9's for nothing. He thought more power more power. But no extra scratch to get it done. I told him heres a free solution lose a 100lbs and he will get in the 9's and be healthy to boot. He weighed almost 300lbs and was 5'9.. He was pissed to say the least. Eventually I heard he broke his hand and couldn't race his younger and much lighter bro drove and got into the 9's no issues. To this day he says it was begineers luck.

Why is it so many racers in any sport refuse to check themselves when it comes to power to weight?

i'm 6'3ish and 135, guess that helps?? it's the only sport that lets you sit most of the time,, of course the big guys love it.

I think it never really dons on people that when racing a car, they're PART of the car, the part that isn't being weighed on a scale. Sure the car may be 2700lbs with a tank of fuel and all fluids, but when you drop a person in the driver's seat who's a tad soggy in the midsection, that can easily jet you close to 3k lbs.

I would LOVE to get the Starion down under 2700lbs, with a full cage, all fluids, and myself on board.

i'm 6'3ish and 135, guess that helps?? it's the only sport that lets you sit most of the time,, of course the big guys love it.

I'm 6'2" and I never weighed more than 135 lbs. soaking wet, till about 5 years ago. Spent some time as a guest of her majesty, all the bread that they shove down your throat to meet minimum calorie standards and all the free time working out really made a difference.

I put on about 20lbs. in 6 months. when I got out I started hanging around at the boxing club, picked up a sport (not too well) and I'm up to about 180 now.

I always saw that as a bonus, at least until now, lol.

Hahaha never thought of it that way but thats a good point.

Im 6'0 and 185ish. Not the worst of shape but i could definately stand to drop some weight.

wow you guys are making me thin i need to drop some weight. im 6'1"ish and like 215

Get a bag to beat on, best cardio in the whole world.

Plus it has the added benefit of giving you something to get angry at besides the non-functional quest in your driveway.

I think it never really dons on people that when racing a car, they're PART of the car, the part that isn't being weighed on a scale. Sure the car may be 2700lbs with a tank of fuel and all fluids, but when you drop a person in the driver's seat who's a tad soggy in the midsection, that can easily jet you close to 3k lbs.

I would LOVE to get the Starion down under 2700lbs, with a full cage, all fluids, and myself on board.

hopefully come middle of the summer i should be able to have my cage and shed alot of weight from my car.. as i am 5'7" 135.. which either means im a perfect fit or a midget for these cars compared to alot of you on this subject.. lol..jk

I think your friend just needed a little thing called TRACTION. or maybe to learn how to launch? *shrug*

At any rate...if you look at ANY "pro" athlete they will be in good shape.