warm up time

Dquick

how much warm up and for that matter cool down time do you need to give a car in general, and how warm should a car be before spirited drving?

i've been trying to take good care of my engine by not getting on it till it's nice and warm, and trying to drive it real easy for the last 3/4mi. or so before i get home, just wondering what the consensus is on this topic.

turbo aluminum head engine is very diferent fom a cast iron v8:)

When starting a turbo car, fire it up, DO NOT REV IT UP untill it has had a min of idleing time..

But start it up, let it idle for a min or 2, then drive on, not too hard, just normal driving for a few mins untill it is at operating temp, then have fun with it. when you know your stopping or shuting the car off for a little, drive it easy, try not to boost and let it idle for about 1 min before shuting the engien off.

It takes three minutes for my Lexus' temp gauge to move to the bottom notch, I don't move until that happens. This is after the engine hasn't ran for 6-8hrs, so it's dead cold.

I have my turbo timer set for 3 minutes also. If I drive normally, i'll manually knock it back to 1min or so for the shut down cool-time.

I typically EASE off about 15-30 seconds after oil pressure has come up. I drive gently till we start showing something, then once it begins warming up, gradually driving it harder till I get to normal driving.

Sitting and idling waiting for the engine to warm is a waste. It can warm while we are gently moving.

Tim

I always went out to start my car, then went about my morning routine. this usually took about 10 minutes max. then came out and drove off. I also had a somewhat long driveway (about 1/3 mile) that was gravel, so i was gentle. then a 1/4 mile jaunt to the highway. ready to go

with the starion, i gave it about 5 minutes or so warm up and between 1-3 minutes cool down.

the jeep gets about 2-3 minutes when its cold and maybe 15 seconds cool down

mind you this all depends on the temperature of the engine and of the air.

I just start mine, and peel out of the driveway. Then, when I come home, I just boost up to about 4k, then shut it off and drift into the driveway...much more exciting :P

Nah...lol...I dont go over 2k until it hits the first notch on the dial, and this is usually after sitting there a minute getting the radio situated at where it needs to be...then, hard run or not, i let it sit for 1-2 minutes and idle. Sometimes more if Im not in a hurry.

Edited by strang3majik

I wait about 20 seconds or so with 5w-30, allow the ecu to stable out a bit on really cood starts.

I may wait longer if I was on a higher mileage starquest. When I was running 20w-50 on the factory engine I let the car warm up longer.

If you had low oil pressure, you need to keep your RPM's higher, 1500-1700 so you can actually get enough oil tho the bearings. And don't quickly accellerate, or put sudden loades on the motor)

Just remember after you warm up your engine you should still ease into driving it no hammer down stuff as your diff and trans are still ice cold. Years back when I lived in Cleveland I worked at 2am so I let my 74 z28 warm up the engine ran great in the cold, so I floored it and snapped a tooth on my posi. The shop that built my 12bolt told me ease it in any car. Have done this ever since no issues. Here in Hawaii not an issue it was 77 today brrrrrr. :cold:

Just remember after you warm up your engine you should still ease into driving it no hammer down stuff as your diff and trans are still ice cold. Years back when I lived in Cleveland I worked at 2am so I let my 74 z28 warm up the engine ran great in the cold, so I floored it and snapped a tooth on my posi. The shop that built my 12bolt told me ease it in any car. Have done this ever since no issues. Here in Hawaii not an issue it was 77 today brrrrrr. :cold:

you suck, i'm still in cleveland.

Brazil boy you gonna make us all hate you with these 77 degree days in the winter. Grrr!

My routine in the winter. (I have 2 keys)

1: Run outside, start the car let it idle (lock the doors) run back in the house.

2: Drink my coffee , eat a donut or pop-tart.

3: Get in the car (heat is on and car is idling). By now the temp gauge is at the 'My thermostat is open/Above the 'cold' line' and I ease off ..

4: After about 3 miles I drive normally.

When I arrive at my destination .. I drive the last 1/4 mile or so like granny..

Pull in the parking lot, let the last song im listening to finish. Shut her down.

No quickies with this one.