Coil upgrade

:o Just installed a MSD Blaster coil on my 89 TSI, boy did she wake up! I had done the basic free mods like air box mod, increasing the boost, and gutted pre cat but was a little disappointed, until now. That extra spark energy sure woke her up, no more hesitation under boost just get up and go! I would recommend this upgrade to everyone. :o

I've been wanting to move up to an MSD6 box, but the money isn't there right now. Is there any problems like increased engine temperatures after this is done?

Installation isn't difficult. If you can wire gauges in this is not much different. Several different hook ups are available which makes it nice for different set-ups,

I have never had any increased temps from the MSD6 box. What I noticed is the stumble at 4K went away and the overall throttle crispness was improved. I find myself downshifting a little less too, pulls harder in 5th on the freeway. No more plug wear than before it was in. This is with NGKBPR8ES around .035 gap (opened the gap up .003 after the MSD6 install)

Mike k

I have the MSD6A, and will wire it up after I get it running. I tried wiring it with the wrong tach adapter.  I have the 9820 now, and will try it again.

Tim C.

Well, I just put in an Accel coil.  Do I suck??  I did notice a little better turbo response and smoother acceleration in my stock '87.  No one around here carried the MSD, and I bet I couldn't afford it anyway.  How much are those things?? ...is there any difference?

Well, I just put in an Accel coil.  Do I suck??  I did notice a little better turbo response and smoother acceleration in my stock '87.  No one around here carried the MSD, and I bet I couldn't afford it anyway.  How much are those things?? ...is there any difference?

There are a couple of different Accel coils, I know one of them is basically a stock drop in so it doesn't yield as high of output as the others.

I would say if the coil you have in helped and you are content leave it in. A coil in its self is not going to be a sudden miracle maker adding 100 HP, whether you have an Accell, Mallory, MSD, Jacobs, Bosch,ETC.

However if you do decide to "get a bug up your tail"  :o  about the coil get the MSD Blaster 2 or 3, which is readilly available at Summit like TSiSam mentioned.

To be honest I like the Crane Hi-6 ignitons. But I went with the MSD which is under 75% of the racers hoods.

I really don't know about Jacobs... I did however contact them in 1993 about their products and the salesguy was calling me weekly to try his ignition set-up. I got really sick of him calling and I guess it was a turn off for me.

I hear good and bad thigns about the Jacobs system for our cars. Not running the Jacobs I couldn't give a worthy opinion on it. We all know heresay and actual usage are 2 different things.

Like I said the MSD is tried and true with an array of cars. I chose them for their solid reputation in the industry. The MSD6A and Blaster2 coil were VERY good upgrades which solidified the performance better IMHO.

My friend Steve is installing a MSD6a and he is moving his battery to the back and mounting it in the battery's old location. seems like allot of work although its going to look totally trick. Where have you guys mounted your units?

My friend Steve is installing a MSD6a and he is moving his battery to the back and mounting it in the battery's old location. seems like allot of work although its going to look totally trick. Where have you guys mounted your units?

Actually I moved the battery to the back more for the balance as well as to clear the area for the way off in the future intercooler piping coming through there.   :)  The added benifit of being able to mount the MSD there is a bonus.

Mike I have some questions for ya..

What box did you get the 6d or 6a?  How much did it set you back and do you know if I can use that w/ my Fireball coil?  I have looked at all the systems and MSD is a bit more $$ but you KNOW what you are getting.  This may be an upgrade near in my future seeing as I am in track mode hehe

SQF

I have the MSD6AL which cost whatever it lists is Summit Magazine, less than $200 I know that.

It will work fine with your Crane coil...although I would be tempted using the Crane Hi-6. Everyone that runs one is as happy as the MSD users, and it can use 95% of the plug in modules made for the MSD box...but it costs more than the MSD...