Boost Sensor

86TSiGuy

I need a picture of an 86' boost solenoid (or other years if same part) or a scan of a diagram or maybe a really well done Etch A Sketch rendering. So I can send to my dad for junkyard confirmation. I need this (and thank you in advance if you have one and will post it here so I can mail to dad) because some joker decided to "fix" mine when the nipple for the manifold vac. line broke off, by gluing the vac. line flush with the cylindrical body of the sensor over the hole where the nipple used to be. They went to all of the trouble of whittling the end of the vac. line to match the curve of the sensor. I think replacing it is a good place to start trying to fix my choppy idle.

Anybody have a pic saved?

I need a picture of an 86' boost solenoid (or other years if same part) or a scan of a diagram or maybe a really well done Etch A Sketch rendering. So I can send to my dad for junkyard confirmation. I need this (and thank you in advance if you have one and will post it here so I can mail to dad) because some joker decided to "fix" mine when the nipple for the manifold vac. line broke off, by gluing the vac. line flush with the cylindrical body of the sensor over the hole where the nipple used to be. They went to all of the trouble of whittling the end of the vac. line to match the curve of the sensor. I think replacing it is a good place to start trying to fix my choppy idle.

Anybody have a pic saved?

i have one off aldata i can post in the morning

Yes... I know I've posted a pic of it...

http://home.comcast.net/~DriftAbility/images/Komeuppance/BoostSensor.jpg

There it is.

Save your old one, it probably can be repaired. You can find these on 83-86 SQ's, which are getting harder and harder to find.

-Robert

Edited by Komeuppance

thats not it thats the barametric pressure sensor. its the one next to it. with the electrical plug

Really, well the education system isn't what it used to be. I need the barometric sensor then. Thanks, for the clarity, that will probably help. And how would you repair the broken nipple? It's the vac. port pointing towards the camera man in the picture. It's broken all most flush. Can I screw a brass fitting into the hole maybe?

heat up a roll pin and slide it in. then put the vac line on with a lil pookie on the end so it will stick flush.

Great idea I think I'm going to go try this today. Maybe you could help me with the following;

How long a roll pin? What ID? And how far should I insert it?

Thats a much better temp. fix than rtv compound. Thanks Again...

that black box on the fender well is the map sensor, the solenoid next to it switches from manifold pressure to a line that goes over to the air can for baro compensation.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj39/shift1313/Starion/EngineBayICvac.jpg

thats not it thats the barametric pressure sensor. its the one next to it. with the electrical plug

Hehe... he said cylindrical body, so I knew he was talking about the "Boost Solenoid" that is what the manual calls it.

-Robert

OK, so as soon as I can get my hands on a roll pin of appropriate dimensions I'm going to fix the current one for my piece of mind. Luckily the slight vacuum draw has held it on so far. I'm looking for a new one through a dealership or a used one at a junkers. But I need the part number. I'm having trouble finding it in my shop manual. Anybody know it off the top of their head? (I'd be really impressed)

OK do you need the boost solenoid or the MAP sensor???

because i think i have an extra solenoid.

also, mine have a broken nipple as well and i just JB welded a fitting on it and made sure it was clear.

also, for the most part you can't remove the solenoid, maybe some members have had no issues with removing it, but, it is NEEDED for the car to run properly.

the every 60 seconds or so, the car will switch the solenoid for a second to allow the MAP sensor to get a reading of the barometric pressure and adjust the fuel trim as needed. other than that it is just allowing the MAP sensor to read the manifold pressure in the intake, which it needs to run properly.

those solenoids were also used on the TBI mitsu/dodge colts.

edit: if you want to do away with fuel cut on the 86's, there is a thread in the FAQ: http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=56791

Edited by patra_is_here