Throttle Position Sensor cost...

vinmaxesir

No, I didn't break it. They do break though. The inner workings of a TPS are a set of electrical contact fingers that rub on an electronic board. The fingers can eventually run thought the board. The fingers can also break. This causes a 'not consistent' reading when checking with a volt or ohm meter. I had an '84 Starion that had a faulty TPS. I took it apart and found a slightly worn out board and, one of 3, broken fingers. Actually it's like one large finger with 3 seperate ends as I remember,,,,,,,, it was a longggggggggggg time ago. Replaced that old TPS and the car ran smooth again like it had not done in a long time. Anyway, any moving part will eventually break. That's life.

Vinnie

Edited by vinmaxesir

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased a new TPS due to the old one not responding properly. I got the one that is meant for another car but is lots cheaper (about $90.00). I only had to change the connector to make it fit. It works perfectly now and the car runs great so far.

I wanted to show what I found when I took the old one apart. Attached is a picture of the old 'board' that is inside the TPS. This board is worn out due to one of the wiper arms, that is supposed to have many wiper fingers, gouging the board. I'll post a picture of the 'wiper' that is damaged and caused the problem on the board (it's too large to post both pics in this reply).

Vinnie

post-6263-1223252660_thumb.jpg

Edited by vinmaxesir

Here's the picture of the wiper arms with all of the little fingers simply gone on the outside holder. This is why these things fail and do not give accurate 'sweeps' when seen with an analog ohm meter. You'll notice that the wiper arm on the outside is the broken/failed one. There are no 'fingers' that are supposed to be there to wipe on the electronic board. Only the metal holder remains and that is what is digging into the board. That coincides with my picture of the board where you can see that the board has been gouged due to the lack of the tiny fingers that were supposed to be riding on it. Instead, the metal that used to hold the fingers was doing the damage to the board. It's pretty cool to actually 'SEE' what happened and why I needed to change the TPS. Also is the reason that I would not buy a used one.

Vinnie

post-6263-1223253298_thumb.jpg

Edited by vinmaxesir