Should I buy this '88 Star?

protegechris

First off, hello to everyone.. I'm Chris. I live on the Texas/Arkansas border. I seem to have fallen in love with the starion/conquest cars, and hope to get into the family. Previously, I've owned a '95 ford contour, '91 dodge dakota, '92 mazda protege, and '96 dodge caravan

It's a 5-speed.

Found this Starion down the road from me. Guy says it needs an ECU and a timing chain.. he's asking $500 on it.

What do you guys think? I'm waiting on information on the mileage and pictures of the interior.. it looks pretty good aside from the damage on the rear driver's side.

http://images.craigslist.org/0101030102100103052008071823551ca39823f2b8a800e608.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/010101010203010304200807183a621297dbab0b8c4100e5d9.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/010105010209010300200807182e17ab65639cf0a85f006892.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/01011201020601030020080718a9ebf21dec848057de009e95.jpg

I'm by no means an expert mechanic, but I know how to do a lot of things most don't. I've replaced timing belts, oil seals, sensors, and a bunch of other crap before. Not really anything special to brag about, but more than the average car owner could do. I understand with the age of the vehicle comes a lot of possible issues, but I feel I'm ready to face those.

Edited by protegechris

Well I went out and visited.. I'm seriously considering dropping the money on this on the first.. Half the work to replace the timing chain has been done already.. he has new filters and the chain and everything already sitting in the trunk.. everything I'd need aside from the ecu.. it has been sitting for about 2 years, though.. and I don't think my apartment complex would be too happy with the time I'd have to spend working on it (because I assume after sitting for so long I'll have more unexpected issues). He's the 2nd or 3rd owner, and at the time it died.. everything was working (including A/C). Clean title..

The interior was basically mint aside from the driver's seat being a little chewed up. Original stereo system (works), rear wiper motor is dead most likely. New clutch about 50k miles ago.

Edited by protegechris

I can buy it on the first.. my concern is that most of the work for replacing the timing chain is done.. and I really don't know if I'd be able to figure out how to piece it all back together. I've done belts/chains before, but I did them from start to finish.. and I'd be lost starting halfway through it. :/ I'm really torn here.

all you need is the factory service manual , and that you can down load from this site ,,

as for how hard is it,, not a problem this site and Starquest i-x can fix you right up, the later with a pic how to do manual

with a little effort in 6 months you can be an expert on this car

desides the chain & guides would be on the list of things to do with any car you buy,, it's a one time in your life deal so don't sweat that

Alright.. well, I'm going to pull the trigger on this tomorrow. The rear left area where it's dark is actually where it was hit and it's rusty around the edges.. so I'll have to fab something up for that.. the rear left tail light is busted (from the same incident). I just can't beat the price on this, especially when he's already bought new filters, gaskets, and the chain set and is including it. I found the service manual, which helps immensely, and assuming I can find a trailer tonight, I'm going to try and pick it up tomorrow. I promise to post lots of pictures and videos in the process of getting this beast back on the road! As far as stuff I need to buy.. he's got most of it. Of course, I'll need to buy new tires, fabricate something for the area on the back, new tail light, possible ECU.. but for $500, it's still pretty decent as far as a car goes. Edited by protegechris

Any quest is a deal for $500. Running, non-running or even trashed.

White Starions are hard to come by. Especially with moonroof. I imagine the interior is tan?

I have a rear driver quarter you can weld on for $125 + shipping. Ready to roll. Dont mess with that banged up rusted one.

Yeah, the interior is tan. No cracks in the dash or anything.. just the driver's seat is chewed up, but that's to be expected. The owner put up a sun screen once he realized he wasn't going to have time to work on it for a while. I'm going to focus on getting it into solid shape mechanically before I worry about the aesthetics. I work two jobs, but money isn't just pouring into my wallet yet ;) It's an ESI-R, by the way. Edited by protegechris

Good find. ESIR stands for Euro-Sport-Intercooled-Rally. Which also means a couple things. One, you have the wider 8" front and 9" rear rims. Stock wheels are 7" front and 8" rear. It also most likely has the 8-way adjustable struts all around. The package was called the "SHP" package which stood for Sport-Handeling-Package.

Good find. ESIR stands for Euro-Sport-Intercooled-Rally. Which also means a couple things. One, you have the wider 8" front and 9" rear rims. Stock wheels are 7" front and 8" rear. It also most likely has the 8-way adjustable struts all around. The package was called the "SHP" package which stood for Sport-Handeling-Package.

ESIR just meant it was a widebody.

Tan interior, white, moonroof, and a Starion? For $500 thats a freaking steal.

Well, I have a trailer to haul it on, but no truck. My van has no hitch on it. This just plain sucks. Why are all my friends car driving pansies? xD

If you would put your location in, you might be able to find someone on here to help you out.

OK, so the car is a white starion with a sunroof, motor, and BLACK/TAN combo interior. No cracks in the dash or warping at all. Good find..... but it won't go onto my trailer because of the angle of my ramps... another try another day...

Did you try backing it up? A couple well placed 2x4s can also cut down on the angle.

Did you try backing it up? A couple well placed 2x4s can also cut down on the angle.

Yeah. I'm going to go back later or on my next off day and try again. Biggest issue was the car was sitting on flats thanks to dry rot. I don't think it had been moved since 2001.. that's when the inspection sticker was dated and the next oil change was scheduled for. I had been told it had sat for 2 years, not 7.. but oh well. Rotors are rusted over but the car still rolled (eventually).

The person who owned the truck I was using had to be at work soon so it'll have to be another day ;)

I made a short little video walking around it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v2Ehoj_8v0

Edited by protegechris