Cam Advice...

DSMDUDE

Well, it turns out I will most likely need a new head. Since I am going to be replacing the head, I figured this would be a good time to put in a performance cam since everything will be apart anyway. I already have some basic stuff; 1G MAS, hardpipes, ported TB elbow, 2.5" turbo-back, and the intake and exhaust manifolds will ported while they are off. I have a realistic goal of 250 WHP, and plan to do an MPI set-up about a year or year and a half down the road. I've been reading the various cam posts on this site, and am very much up in the air as to what to get. It seems like a 284 or a 292 are the only choices to gain power through a TBI setup, but is it worth it? Which would you recommend?

depends - from what I've read if you plan on going MPI you might as well get the roller rocker cam.

I have a 292 and it was alright. I didn't much like the fact it could only be used with mechanical rockers.

I thought you could get a 292 in hydraulic...I actually have the roller rockers on my car with a stock cam; I didn't put them on there I bought it like that ( I didn't know anything then...).It was when I was putting the non-roller rockers on when I discovered my cam journals were grooved up and my cam caps were a little smeared..How did you like the 292? Any noticable increase in power?

I thought you could get a 292 in hydraulic...I actually have the roller rockers on my car with a stock cam

Theres half the problem. Roller rockers with a stock camshaft doesn't work. Contact Tim C. on this site. I'm running Tims roller cam and roller rockers with my car but I have plenty of mods. Plus, it's a throttle body set up. Fast enough for me !!!!! Throttle body cars can be fast, Just ask *DM!!!! It all depends on how you set them up.

CALIBER 308

Edited by Caliber308

This is one of those areas where there can be quite a bit of debate.

First you need to realistically determine what you are going to do with the car. Will it be a full on race car...or a full time street car?

Your cam selection should be based on what answer you give for that question.

A street car won't need too much in a cam...it won't be spending enough time in the high revs for a high lift cam to work.

Being forced induction, stock specs on intake side will work great...10% less overlap with a little better exhuast profile will be ideal for the street.

Race cams....it's pretty much what ever you can live with and your budget.

Some of the big name cam grinders will custom grind a cam for you...for a price.

Then you should think about if you don't mind adjusting the valves...mechanical will offer better top end...hydraulic will be pretty much set it initially, then forget it.

So, ask yourself...what do I really want, how much can I spend, and do I want mechanical or hydraulic? Those answers will put you onto the right cam for you.

Good luck

i would probably stick with the stock cam and get an adjustable cam gear:) 101 purpose has them for sale on his ebay store. I think the stock cam works fairly well and there are other areas that would need attention first. Valve springs would be one of them.

Tim C is definitely the guy to talk to though.

oh and figure out why your cam journals were torn up. Hopefully its due to improper torque but make sure its not an oiling issue or you might ruin a new head too.

Shift,

I am not sure exactly why the cam got torn up,but about 2 days before I discovered the problem my secondary injector got stuck open and flooded my engine with fuel. Unfortunately some of the fuel mixed in with the oil, and I beleive it somehow got into the cam journals and walla; oil deprevation. I am going to be pulling the engine out and FULYY inspecting the entire short block for any other signs of damage, and will most likely be getting a new oil pump to put and oiling issues at rest. On a side note, is there any difference between the turbo G54 oil pumps and the N/A ones? I will be getting the Scneider HD springs no matter what cam I go with...This may be a dumb question, but how would the adjustable cam gear help?

This is going to be full time street car but I want it to be able to handel some "spirited" driving too...

Edited by DSMDUDE