Can PDR pull a dent this big on the quarter panel? (updated w better pics)

razo164

due to the crease i would say no.

I like the back ground It reminds me of going to my dads work growing up

http://www.haystack.edu/obs/images/cutaway.jpg

this is a crappy drawing but I still remember standing in the dome under that big dish and almost crapping myself.

With the crease it would probably be tough. They could probably get it out most of the way but I still see some filler having to go in there and be painted. Also, the paint might chip while pushing or pulling the dent out.

The damage occured when I parked next to a f350 thats why its so high on the quarter. The arse ran.

Craig87 NIce! so your pops worked at a teleport as well?

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q16/razo164/starquarter004.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q16/razo164/starquarter005.jpg

A good PDR tech can take the dent out 95-98%. The body line will be the hardest but will come out. The paint will hold up fine.

Most important thing is to bring it up even and slow. It's darn tough and thiCk metal. Yes the metal is stretched but we have ways of shrinking is back.

Just be sure to see the PDR techs work on anther car or ask how much experience he has. But I'm sure you will be happy with the results when it is finished.

Edited by Kellydahman

Most important thing is to bring it up even and slow. It's darn tough and think metal. Yes the metal is stretched but we have ways of shrinking is back.

id like to hear how this is done. im a body man, and im calling b.s. im not starting a war with you, but i dont feel like it can be done. how do the pdr people shrink metal?

I'm with pure insanity on this. I believe the PDR guy can get probably 98% of that dent out. I think you will still be able to see it a bit where that body line is or the quarter will be rippled a bit since the metal is stretched. either way it will look a whole lot better than it does now, and probably only noticable at certain angles/lighting

the reason I said chipped paint in the last post is sometimes they push out as much as they can from the back side, but if they can't get the right tool in there or can't get the dent out all the way they try to suction it out from the outside, if they do that on a spot that was creased the paint may have a hairline crack and a small chip may pull off.

No way anyone can shrink that metal without burning the paint with heat, or damaging the paint with cold shrinking methods.

That being said, I think they can get it out almost all the way without shrinking it. Good enough for a driver anyway, and likely unseen unless you know it's there. No way to ever get that panel show quality without paint tho.

I've seen PDR guys fix worse.