HOLY CRAP pic added

Some of you might know i cut my balance shaft case off.......well big mistake, while running the car today in the garage a cracked developed and water is pooring out from where the case was

any ideas on how to fix it :( :( :( :(

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b84/trippleCing/P5240015.jpg

Edited by Scotty Dont

Some of you might know i cut my balance shaft case off.......well big mistake, while running the car today in the garage a cracked developed and water is pooring out from where the case was

any ideas on how to fix it :( :( :( :(

Oh Man! That sux.... Might have to get another block.

New block. JBweld it for now.

Yea, JB Weld MIGHT do it for now. I would sand the surface to prep for the JB weld.

My Dad once fixed a head to a Honda XR75 motorcycle with JBWeld. It help for the remaining 5 years we owned the bike. Just have to mix it well and also LET it set for a couple days, oh and cross your fingers. :biggrinumbrella1:

New block. JBweld it for now.

from the lincoln website http://www.lincolnelectric.com/knowledge/a...ironpreheat.asp

"Sealing Cracks

Because of the nature of cast iron, tiny cracks tend to appear next to the weld even when good procedures are followed. If the casting must be water tight, this can be a problem. However, leaking can usually be eliminated with some sort of sealing compound or they may rust shut very soon after being returned to service. "

so screw welding it if the weld is just gunna crack ill find the best sealant out there and run with it

You aren't the first but I hope you were the only one that did what that moronic quack showed when he posted the pictures of doing that and that block is now scrap too and a few have seen it. That was dumb idea in the first plate.

Indiana, this was done for a reason on a block that will be filled.

I have reasons for my modifications.

But anyways, Whats the issue with this mod? where his hole is I never even touched on the original test block... I don't know why you would have to grind down that area.

A cut off wheel going around the cavity will take it off, essentially making it look just like the back of a DSM block.

Edited by emagdnim

You might try getting a person who is good at welding to fix it for you.

The blocks are a higher quality cast iron, so if you could get the area heated up with a torch, then possible have it clean enough, you could get some welding action on it. The only rub with that is, you won't be able to control the cooling of the area, which might lead to that area becoming White Iron, aka very brittle.

Don't try welding or brazing, it can take off on you

You can try cold weld. there must be a shop around you that does it.

Is it an actual crack? or just a hole?

http://www.enginemachineservice.com/crack.html

Irontite ceramic seal is great but if it's a crack it can take off.. it will need attention first

If it's just a hole and no one welded on it you can try drilling and tapping for small pipe plug.

It's no good the way it is.

Dad

Don't try welding or brazing, it can take off on you

You can try cold weld. there must be a shop around you that does it.

Is it an actual crack? or just a hole?

http://www.enginemachineservice.com/crack.html

Irontite ceramic seal is great but if it's a crack it can take off.. it will need attention first

If it's just a hole and no one welded on it you can try drilling and tapping for small pipe plug.

It's no good the way it is.

Dad

all i can see are two little pin holes squirting water but when i feel it, it feels like a crack

im going to take all the paint off of that area and dye check it to see how big and how many cracks there are

well i scraped the paint off and here is what i got, when i was cutting this part off i couldn't get my grinder all the way in to cut straight thru so i had to knock it off with a hammer :rolleye0018:

it looks like just a few small hole. How would u go about fixing this dad?

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b84/trippleCing/holeinblock.jpg

for one thing you need to stop grinding in a spot that is already too thin,

over the years i have repair'd several blocks with pin hole leaks in the side of the water jacket with twist apoxy like that use'd for gas tank repair , none of them ever had any problems later with the repair that i ever heard about

they also have a liquid metal repair in fact several diff types , my first job out of the army in 65 was in an iron foundry we had a paste like stuff to repair holes in castings

work'd there 6 months and truth is your safer haveing people shoot at you then working in a place like that , this was befor any automation was introduce'd every thing was by hand 20 yrs was a life time few last'd longer then that

I'm sorry but this had to be the dumbest modification to an engine I have ever seen. Weight distribution, are you serious? Well one of my legs is longer then the other, let me go get a butter knife and shave some of my leg off to even it out.

I'm sorry but this had to be the dumbest modification to an engine I have ever seen. Weight distribution, are you serious? Well one of my legs is longer then the other, let me go get a butter knife and shave some of my leg off to even it out.

You wouldn't understand in the first place, because it's obvious you have no experience with real race cars.

You have got to be the most closed minded individual on this board, every thing you say is said without any intention of thinking anything out... apparently your incapable of learning about new things and far more blind to the fact that your so incompetent of thinking for yourself, instead of following the leader.

Now, with that said, tell me why this modification is the "dumbest" and not in a follow the leader way, if you can.

I can't help it if this mod was executed improperly on that block, the original poster even admitted to doing so.

It's time for some intelligent reasons on why not to cut this off the block, as it has no ill affects on the structural integrity, when executed properly.

Until then I'll continue to find new innovative ways with this car/motor... you don't get anywhere with it without trying things out, whether they work good or not.

You show me a real race car that you have built and I will learn from it.

In all honesty would a regular person that is not building an all out race car do this mod? Not to say that this mod wouldn't be beneficial (Maybe) if one was building an all out race car but for the regular joe this isn't necessary and shouldn't be attempted by someone that has never done or seen it done in person.

You may not be running coolant in your motor due to it being a drag motor and not needing it but apparently he still is. I'm just pointing out the obvious....this mod was unnecessary for him to do. It served no purpose and actually hurt him.

So before you bash me personally

You have got to be the most closed minded individual on this board, every thing you say is said without any intention of thinking anything out... apparently your incapable of learning about new things and far more blind to the fact that your so incompetent of thinking for yourself, instead of following the leader.

I learn new things every day if I wasnt then I would be down right ignorant. How do you figure that I am not thinking on my own? I asked the question and made the comment myself. So who am I following? I might not have supreme knowledge as you think you do on these cars but this is not my first time around a car.

Let me know when you finish your car so I can show up with a tow truck