fuel pressure regulator.

19cturbo

I really don't care about TBi that much to even give you perfect reasoning on why the WHOLE SYSTEM is JUNK from the factory.

MY point is, Good luck... and I really dont care what your doing, I was helping the original poster out before Tim started his normal BS.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree that considering the application

the TBI is about the stupidest thing ever put on a car. TBi is great on low compression na cars that make no

power. it isn't the 70s anymore.

that is not however, the point of this post.

Edited by Alcyone

I have to agree that considering the application

the TBI is about the stupidest thing ever put on a car. TBi is great on low compression na cars that make no

power. it isn't the 70s anymore.

that is not however, the point of this post.

Exactly, the original poster wanted to buy one ASAP, not go to the local hardware store and have to make something...

Exactly, the original poster wanted to buy one ASAP, not go to the local hardware store and have to make something...

Where'd he say ASAP, Sam? Show me. Prove to me he wanted something RIGHT NOW.

You're grasping for any reason to seem correct here. Face it, you got hammered.

And as far as my "normal BS" goes, just remember this, pal. My car is available to me right now, and it will go anywhere in the country I feel like pointing it at. So, save the crap till I see your car cough to life. I've built several cars in the time you've picked your nose on yours. And I don't want to hear excuses on your car, either. With such a fat wallet, and incredible know-how, you should have had it finished long ago.

It's people like you that make me want to stop bothering around here. Because you lack the skill, and the smarts to realize that someone else may have a decent idea. Stop armchair quarterbacking, and go make your car run. Since mine does, flawlessly, I might add, it gives me more time to lean on idiots like you.

Tim

I have 3 other starquest that run perfectly fine, ( two normal ones and a v8 swaped car.. yep I try it before I knock it) I didn't get anywhere close to hammered by your e-thug partner, your part is no where near close to proven on any car thats close to being worth anything... the aeromotive however, is...

Oh, and I have the smarts to know that "decent" ideas don't cut it. ;)

I will give you the fact that I don't have the Mcguiver like skill to go to Tru Ace the helpful place to get my fuel system set-up as this Star-orion company does, So.. I guess i'm the idiot you can lean on!

hahaha.

Go build a real car.

http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/7551/f9cc829ae0b529241778cbcen8.jpg

As for the OP - that one is okay. I personally would go with a bit more of a quality part like the Bosch 2222 like other members have stated. The Aeromotive is great as well, but then it all comes down to your application and what you really need or want versus what you're willing to spend.

Edited by Fanta

not everyone has money to blow on aeromotive...all part designs came from someone trying something home made and making it better.

People are forgetting that everyone has their own build and are doing things different. Everyone on this thread is fighting to be right and are trying to convince that others are wrong. The only thing that is wrong is something that doesn't work. I personally don't need a $180 fpr if I'm never going to use it to its full capabilities.

Maybe people should ask him what his build is going to be and what his final fuel consumption will be. No need in building a nuclear reactor if the only thing your powering is a 1 bedroom apartment. Understand what I'm saying?

How do you figure, No? Everything that people are using today was invented by someone somewhere just trying to build something.

Nothing is new...just reinvented...computers were built in a garage some where, a car was built in a garage some where, first plane in a garage some where...Nothing is new, just repackaged and made better but not new

Many could say that you are closed minded but that was not was I talking about. We were talking about FPR's if I am correct. So lets stick to the topic at hand...Does he need an expensive fpr or would a "McGuyver" fpr or a lower end model such as the one 101 sells work?

Factory injectors need to see 38psi for OEM specs. Aftermarket injectors are typically flow rated at 3 bar (43.5psi) and work well at 45-50psi. ANY regulator that can effectively and consistantly hold those pressures will work. Longevity will very depending on the make and model used.

JR

Honestly, what is wrong with the Bosch setup? Let's look at priority number one: The fuel pressure regulator.

Does it have a boost reference? Check!

Does it regulator fuel pressure? Check!

Is it reliable? It's Bosch, even this puppy isn't truly cheap. Check!

Will it handle enough fuel flow? Uses the same size line as what feeds the fuel rail. CHECK!

Ok, next up, the installation:

Does it use fittings approved for fuel use and the pressure? Well, we know brass fittings can be used for air compressors and those typically max out at 120 psi. Fuel system? 58 psi at 20 psi of boost. That's a factor of safety of over two. B) Also, solid brass isn't permeable by fuel. CHECK!

Will the brass fittings seal properly? With teflon tape or pipe dope, you betcha. Last I checked, the Aeromotive inlets are taper threads also. CHECK!

Is the installation functional? Well, Ulrich's car runs a 14G set at about 15 psi and I know he doesn't drive easy. Last I checked, the car still runs. KA-CHECK!

So what's the problem here? The Bosch/MSD unit obviously works and considering both Ulrich's and Jolyrgr's cars have ran RELIABLY on this setup, I'd say it's pretty well proven. Before long, my own car will have this setup so that will be THREE cars running reliably with this fuel pressure regulator. What's the saying? Three strikes and you're out? So far we're batting two home runs.

Edited by Maxzillian

I assume you're pointing out that Supturbo's setup isn't working.

No offense to him by any means, but it is possible to install a fuel pressure regulator incorrectly. Judging by it's behavior, I'd say he has the boost reference hooked to a vacuum source. Otherwise pulling the boost reference off from the top of the throttle body won't change the fuel pressure over having the reference go to atmosphere. Both conditions are the same pressure when the engine is idling.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but an Aeromotive would have the same problem.

Edited by Maxzillian

Hey Wolf, Now thats innovation!!!!!!!! Let us know how it works out.

CALIBER 308

I think a list of parts used on this piece of art should be made and placed in the faqs section for those on a tight budget. great job guys.

I don't know what all the fuss is about, but really, if your not going over the top to mod an SQ, the TBI is fine. :shrug: It very reliable from what I've seen of many members' cars. There are other members on this forum like me that daily drive these cars, or over long distances and are more concerned about MPG and cold start reliablility. I understand that in this case, the OP is worried about having ample fuel delivery on a lean budget ;) so he was looking for the options at hand. I have seen three different options with explanations so it is now up to him what he wants to do. He may even throw all of your reccomendations out in favor of an alternative that he thinks of. I myself caught a couple ideas from this thread and might look into something in the future. Good posts to all who gave advice or experiences. :thumbsup:

Dave

P.S. Some of the first cars on this forum and scene went sub 13's on garage built parts, personal engineering can be the best way to think outside the box. Ask a member who's been in this scene since about 98', there's some real history that is getting lost.

you'll always have the droves who've been brainwashed into believing -they- have to spend 3 times as much to be successful at acoomplishing the same dam thing.

Do whatever ya like but don't push 'your opinion' as fact.

Heck... my background with buick GN community taught me how invaluable using your brains is instead of throwing money at a car. y.m.m.v :)

Most GNs ran modified stock(bosch) fuel press regulators - some crushed 'em, added an adjusting screw to the top or even sliced 'em open & resealed...

No clubmembers bothered with all this crap u see like; big 'ol clumsy ext wasgates, huge fuel pumps & regulators, etc....

GNs were simply *sensibly/mildly moded* full weight consistent low 11/hi 10sec very reliable daily driven street cars on their stock 100+k mile 'virgin' motor & tranny. Some even on pump gas + water/alky/meth inj.

None of 'em ever saw a dyno or a wideband. Tuned via a $125 chip/oe ecu monitoring O2 volts and knock. Crisp performance + 30+mpg highway

All from a heavy airconditioned pig.... 10+ years ago

My point..... brains can go a lllonnnnggggg way

I don't know what all the fuss is about, but really, if your not going over the top to mod an SQ, the TBI is fine. :shrug: It very reliable from what I've seen of many members' cars. There are other members on this forum like me that daily drive these cars, or over long distances and are more concerned about MPG and cold start reliablility. I understand that in this case, the OP is worried about having ample fuel delivery on a lean budget ;) so he was looking for the options at hand. I have seen three different options with explanations so it is now up to him what he wants to do. He may even throw all of your reccomendations out in favor of an alternative that he thinks of. I myself caught a couple ideas from this thread and might look into something in the future. Good posts to all who gave advice or experiences. :thumbsup:

Dave

P.S. Some of the first cars on this forum and scene went sub 13's on garage built parts, personal engineering can be the best way to think outside the box. Ask a member who's been in this scene since about 98', there's some real history that is getting lost.

Im with the Elk on this one,the tbi is just fine,i have a few mods and 250bhp is enough for me,quick enough with reliability being the key factor.

Where'd he say ASAP, Sam? Show me. Prove to me he wanted something RIGHT NOW.

You're grasping for any reason to seem correct here. Face it, you got hammered.

It's people like you that make me want to stop bothering around here. Because you lack the skill, and the smarts to realize that someone else may have a decent idea.

Tim

Tim, He will never admit it !!! This is why I don't post pictures of things i've done. All you hear is crap !!!! But no innovative responses from them.

CALIBER 308

"It's always better to state the important choices that consumers should look at when choosing products, then spoon feed them brain dead recommendations."

I'm sure he wants a regulator that he won't overrun when he replaces his fuel pump with a 255, not everyone wants inadequate parts on there car.

Well hell, I guess my car didn't run when I had a MSD-2222 hooked up to the Walbro 392 ???? GET REAL. And yes, I have a Aeromotive now. Why??? Personal choice. Not because the MSD-2222 didn't work with the Walbro.

CALIBER 308

Edited by Caliber308

Here's a different method I tried to mounting the Bosch/MSD unit. So far it's working great. :)

http://maxzillian.com/starion/fpr.jpg

Edited by Maxzillian