The Curse of The Quest

ZaneGrey04

• 1 month later...
Wow its been along time! Sorry everyone I have been busy. Owning a house has turned out to be alot of work and money. Home improvements here and there have made it hard to work on the quest. I did finally get it put in the garage. And I hooked up lights so that I will be able to work on it. It will be alittle while before I really get a chance to work on it though. Harvest is starting which means long hours and we are putting fence around our yard for the dogs. I will post new updates soon.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I can't believe its been four years since I first posted on this site! Even more suprising I remembered my password. Alot has changed over the past four years, both good and bad. Ive been through a horrible divorce, a job change, I am attending college, and met a wonderful woman to start a family with. I now have a 4 year old boy step son and a baby girl that will turn one on the 29th! All this time the conquest has been patiently waiting in the garage. Every time my son sees it he asks when he will get to ride in daddy's race car. It has been a long road, but with the support of a loving family and friends I am going to start working on the quest again. The car has been waiting to long. Its going to take awhile, but I feel like I have to get it done. Ive become obsessed with the thought of driving it someday.

I have decided that I want to do an engine swap so I have parts from the g54b and other stock parts that I wont be using. I also sadly had to scrap my parts car. The town I live in frowns on cars that don't run sitting in yards and I didn't have any place to put it. I saved the hood, doors, hatch, and other random parts from it. I will be starting a thread sometime this weekend to get rid of parts.

DUDe that's an 86 and 1/2 fiero GT..... My dad LOVES those cars. only the 86 and 1/2's though. That's a very rare car.

The 86-88 Fiero GT's had the same body style. I had an 86 GT like that one and the only thing that made my 86 GT different is that it had a 5spd rather than a 4spd. The 5spd was introduced mid-year in 86. The 86 GT isn't that rare. There were 17,891 made. Surf craigslist, you will be knee deep in '86 GTs.

The 88 year model was the one to have...

Quote from wiki:

http://en.wikipedia....i/Pontiac_Fiero

1986 was the first year the fastback roofline was offered (sometimes wrongly referred to as a "1986½" model—there was only one "GT" in 1986). Though originally conceived by Pontiac insiders as a new model, possibly called the "GTP" or "GTU," it has been said that GM management at the time felt that using "GTP" or "GTU" suggested a racing car and thus an image they did not want to promote. Individuals present at the unveiling of the new fastback roof style at a GM test track actually thought it was a new Corvette at first. But this new body style simply became the GT model for 1986 while the old 1985 GT body style became the SE model. Also offered late in the production year was a five-speed Muncie-Getrag transmission (coupled only to the V6 engines). Models equipped with the four-cylinder engine remained largely unchanged. The clutch hydraulic systems were redesigned with new master and slave cylinders.

1986 production

Fiero Sport 24,866

Fiero SE (I4)/(V6) 32,305

Fiero GT 17,891

Total production 83,974

Edited by helrazr70

What a mind blowing story, and Ive never been more attatched to something before my starion and I just bought it cause I like how it looks. Good luck with your build man!

Thanks, I'm going to need it. I was going to message you to see if you could send me pictures of the mounting brackets for the rear window louvers. I saw that you had recently picked up a set.

Thanks, I'm going to need it. I was going to message you to see if you could send me pictures of the mounting brackets for the rear window louvers. I saw that you had recently picked up a set.

I get them in the mail tomorrow, Im also pretty sure Im missing one bracket not sure which one but making them shouldnt be hard, Ill be sure to post some pics for you tomorrow. Banana + louvers = radical!

• Like 1

The 86-88 Fiero GT's had the same body style. I had an 86 GT like that one and the only thing that made my 86 GT different is that it had a 5spd rather than a 4spd. The 5spd was introduced mid-year in 86. The 86 GT isn't that rare. There were 17,891 made. Surf craigslist, you will be knee deep in '86 GTs.

The 86 1/2's were less then 1/2 of that 17,891 and don't forget how many burned, were wrecked ECT. Also they are very rare with perfect sail pannels (no repo one's you can tell by the dot matrix stuff around the edges) It's super rare to have the sail pannels and spoiler. The one's that became 86 GT's didn't have the sail pannels only the 86 1/2 IIRC

Made more room in my garage to work. I'll post pics. Still have some organizing to do, but it feels a lot better in there. Also got the quest turned around to make it easier to work on. Hopefully picking up a toolbox full of tools today and going to start cleaning out the engine bay. Hope to get a lot stripped out this weekend.

I salute you for your loyality for your friend and sticking to getting your/his Conquest back on the road.

It "warms the cockles of my heart" (remember that old submariner term) that you are a ex - USN Submariner. So am I - but a long time ago. Reading this entire evolving post it appears to me that you are carrying on the submarine tradition that we were taught on the boats - "If you have to do a job, you do it right the first time. The margin of error is zilch, cuz you & your shipmates could be dead if you don't." That attention to detail from the boats has a habit of carrying over into civilian life, but not with the same consequences.

Plus, you are keeping the faith.

What boats were you stationed on and what was your rate?

If I can help you out, PM me your phone number.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

PS - I almost lay money out that you have the Starquest FSM and parts catalog and are reading and using 'em.

Most of my time was spent on the USS Philadelphia, I also spent some time on the Dallas. Both out of good old Groton, CT. I was an a-ganger so I turned a lot of wrenches.

Sorry to jack your post.

I was a M-div'er. I served on and got my fish on Rasher (AGSS-269), I also served on Snook SSN-592, Kamehameha SSBN-642 and Scamp SSN-588.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

Wow those are some old boats. The Philly was SSN-690 the oldest 688 on the east coast. No worries about post jacking nice to meet a fellow submariner. Not many people know what it means to get your fish.

Finally some pictures to post:

After 4 years.

http://i1061.photobucket.com/albums/t480/M_Z_B/Conquest/IMG_20120327_185838.jpg

Before cutting out the storage area above the car. A little messy.

http://i1061.photobucket.com/albums/t480/M_Z_B/Conquest/IMG_20120907_153801.jpg

Who says you cant use a chainsaw for remodeling.

http://i1061.photobucket.com/albums/t480/M_Z_B/Conquest/IMG_20120907_174632.jpg

Rearranged the garage and started taking apart the front end.

http://i1061.photobucket.com/albums/t480/M_Z_B/Conquest/IMG_20120914_202856.jpg

This is going to take awhile this is after a couple hours of work. Good thing I have the service manuals for this thing!

http://i1061.photobucket.com/albums/t480/M_Z_B/Conquest/IMG_20120915_153218.jpg

Ive been making some much needed progress on this project. Its been keeping me up at night thinking about all the things I need to do to this car to finish it. The more I tear into it the more I want to take the whole thing apart and completely restore the whole car. I want to do it right the first time so that I dont have to take it apart later after I have it running and do all the work over again. I also found that my drivers side frame rail has a horrible rust area that is going to need to be cut out and replaced. I wish that I still had my parts car to get the piece from.

This picture is from a couple days ago I forgot to upload it. We are focusing on the engine compartment for now then we will work our way back most likely disassembling the whole car.

http://i1061.photobucket.com/albums/t480/M_Z_B/Conquest/IMG_20120915_185042_zpsa0a3a952.jpg

We accomplished a alittle more today. I was hoping to get more done, but we ran into some snags. The steering didnt want to seperate so we were unable to remove the steering box and the fuel and brake lines took longer than I thought to remove. I still have to figure out how to remove all the wiring. I guess though if I decide to take the whole car apart the wires wont be much of an issue. I would like to get the car done by next July which will have been ten years since my friends passed away, but if I decide to do a full restore it definetly wont be done in time. I cant decide what to do.

http://i1061.photobucket.com/albums/t480/M_Z_B/Conquest/IMG_20120918_193447_zps24789d26.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Just do what he would do. The build is in remembrance of him, so think back to where he was at mentally with the car and just make it the way he would enjoy it. Ultimately that's the best way to be happy with this project.

Work on the quest has been slow lately I removed some more parts from the engine compartment and have been working to remove the dash to get some of the wiring out of the way. A friend is going to let me borrow his sand blaster so I can get the engine compartment ready for paint. After paint progress will be really slow I have a lot of money to save for the motor swap and getting parts powder coated. Till then I have found a 89 Conquest for pretty cheap, I am going to look at it tomorrow and hopefully bring it home. It just needs a little work to get it running so I am going to try and get it running to use as a daily driver till I have the money to finish my Cursed Quest. Then it will be used for parts that the Cursed Quest needs. From the pics I have seen of the 89 its a little rough looking, but the parts that I will eventually need are good. I'm excited hopefully I will be finally driving a Conquest someday soon! I'll post pictures tomorrow if I end up bringing it home.

ouch,,sand blasting is not the way to go , a good paint remover is much easier and less clean up ,,you'd never get all the sand out of every nook and cranny

wipe it on an wash the old paint off and it won't distroy the metals protective coating

ouch,,sand blasting is not the way to go , a good paint remover is much easier and less clean up ,,you'd never get all the sand out of every nook and cranny

wipe it on an wash the old paint off and it won't distroy the metals protective coating

Thanks for the advice. I was only planing on hitting the rusted spots with the blaster. It looks like brake fluid had been leaking for awhile so I have a lot of bare metal spots that have rust on them. Maybe just hand sanding the rust spots will work?