Clicking noise

BrokenquestTSI

Larry, clicking in the dash could be the speedo cable or it's loose. If the speedo needle bounces with the noise...it might be going. If it's tight in the speedo, it might not be engaged correctly.

Checking U joints isn't difficult.

The car on ramps or jack stands to get under it safely. Grasp the joint and try moving it in any direction other than the direction it's made to move in. A tiny amount of free play is ok...it moves too much, you'll need to replace them.

Ok...U joints mainly are made to move up and down...kinda like your elbow if it could bend both ways. A good strong shake will tell you if there's too much play. The position it's at at rest will show you which way to move it. I can't tell you a particular direction, because the joint will be positioned differently from it's spinning to transfer the power.

RobH has it right, its a TSB and the replacement part described in the technical service bulletin fixes the problem. Its a lot of work just to get rid of the click but in my case I fixed my rear wheel steering issue at the same time.

Scott