No thermostat

dstar88

just wanted to know., whats the pro's and con's of running with no thermostat and primary and secondary fan always running.??.

i read somewere on here that some people dont run a thermostat, and i was also told that with no thermostat in the car, since the coolent is free flowing, it will create an air buble around the temp sender for the gauge in the dash, and make you think the car is running cool..and can cause it to over heat.

right now i have no thermostat in the car cuz the one i had it the car decided to not open any more and cause the car to almost over heat on me...i wasnt able to put another in yet cuz when i pulled it out it at 10 at night and no parts store was open at the time....woopeee for me...so i had to close it back up and run with no thermostat...

im sure some people have different opinions about it...so let me hear it.. haha

thanks

Daniel

The thermostat actually slows the flow of water down so it will spend enough time in the radiator to cool off. Without a thermostat, the radiator doesn't have time to cool it as well before it goes into the engine again, putting hotter coolant in.

Jimmy

The thermostat actually slows the flow of water down so it will spend enough time in the radiator to cool off. Without a thermostat, the radiator doesn't have time to cool it as well before it goes into the engine again, putting hotter coolant in.

Jimmy

ohh yea i forgot to put that in my first post.,that is true, thats the main objective for a thermostat, but has anyone heard of that air pocket issue...i have noticed that the car is running slightly cooler just bairly geting to the line above the "c" but since summer is getting closer with the california heat that may be an issue if i do leave the thermo out.. this thermo i had in the car wasnt that old to begin with and it already decided to go sh&% face on me., im also going to have to bight the bullet and find an aluminum rad and toss that sucker in there befor the heat reeper comes to take my engine.

Daniel

The thermostat is there mainly for those cold mornings when you want heat in the car. The thermo holds heat in the engine for faster warm up, lowers emissions when it warms up and goes off fast idle...into closed loop if you will, when the thermo opens.

Running without a thermo is ok if it's necessary and if you don't mind waiting longer to get heat from the heater. If you live in a warm climate, it's not needed as much, but it will help getting the engine to best operating temps faster, lowers emissions per run time the quicker it comes to temp. Should help in getting better gas milage too.

The power the fans draw when in operation should be considered before manually turning them on before they are needed. Cold engine, just started, running fast idle etc. will drain the battery down the colder it is and tax the alternator/ charging system further.

I ran a broken one (didn't know at the time) and I live in a cool climate. it took a long time to warm up, and at highway cruise (little or no load) it was too cold, it ran in open loop all the time (bad fuel milage). In a warm climate it's probably not going to be all that bad. I'd run one myself, just for the reasond Jimmy mentioned.

It does a good job or actualy regulating the engine temps, it keeps it in a very specific (most efficent) range all the time by cycling open/closed. Without a thermostat, you don't get that benifit.

If you are looking for performance gains, you make more power hot than warm or cool... ;)

well im in california, san jose to be exact...so the weather hear is usually always decent, it doesnt really get close to freezing and when it does, i never really stays at that temp for weeks on end. my main concern is that air pocket deal that i was told about with no thermo. i just dont really like taken the thing apart and dealing with the mess...

Daniel

It does a good job or actualy regulating the engine temps, it keeps it in a very specific (most efficent) range all the time by cycling open/closed. Without a thermostat, you don't get that benifit.

If you are looking for performance gains, you make more power hot than warm or cool... ;)

Just to add to Chads post. Yes the hotter the engine is running the more efficient the fuel burns. Years ago it was 180 or so, maybe less. Now some OEM engines or running at over 200 due to advances in head gaskets, material of the head and pistons, etc. Some folks think by running a cooler thermostat, or none, they get more performance. Well in a way they do. It can trick the computer that its too cold and riches the fuel till warmed up. Or never going into Open Loop.I'd say run one.

Auto Zone used to sell the brass performance thermos. But no longer. Anyone know where to find them?

1: Using the 180* Thermostat has been the best compromise for me. 160* if its summer but like I said, 180 allows for fast warmup, and keeps it cool .

2: Running the fans fulltime is stupid. Not only will you burn the motors up faster, but if you need to run the fans to stay cool you have bigger problems. Try getting the radiator 'rodded'. (Not flushed, but physically cut open, and rods inserted to open up the fluid passages)

3: Air pockets are not 'created' if you do not use a thermostat. There will always be a small amount of air in the system. It usually collects in the top (ie under the thermostat housing. This is not a problem. If yo use streaming bubbles, this is usually an indicator of compression entering the cooling system (not good as this usually indicates a problem with the head gasket).

4: If you want 'both' fans to run, swap out the high temp relay (I think its the driver side sensor on the bottom of the radiator) with a low temp unit. This will cause the secondary fan to come on at the lower temp. This isnt reliable because what can happen is one of the fans will fire and the temps will fall. I use a wire spliced to the primary fan sensor so both are triggered from the same sensor. 1 wire and 2 tap-a-splices are all you need.

5: The Sensor for the temp gauge and the Coolant temp sensor for the ECU are different and do not directly effect each other. I believe the 'beefier' of the two is the coolant temp sensor for the computer.

~