PROBLEMS FINDING OIL PUMP

IM REBUILDING MY MOTOR IM LOOKING FOR A NEW OIL PUMP BUT EVERWHERE I GO THEY GAVE ME THE SAME OIL PUMP. I WORK IN PEP BOYS AND WE SELL THE SAME. I LOOK OVER STARION-CONQUEST ALL YEAR, MAZDA 2.6, MONTERO 2.6, DODGE 2.6, PLYMOUTH 2.6, THEY ALL USE THE SAME OIL PUMP. THE OIL PUMP I NEED HAVE A HOLE IN THE BOTTOM FOR THE OIL PICK UP TUBE, THE ONE I FIND DONT HAVE THAT. WHERE I CAN GET THE OIL PUMP I NEED? IF POSIBLE THE HIGH VOLUME

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc221/xavier_87conquest/58bc_1-1.jpg

this is the one i dont need

TOP END PERFORMANCE sells a "high volume" oil pump for $229.00, stock one for $199.00 i think is the same pump. they say is high volume just to get more money for the same pump.

i have the pump your speaking of, and honestly cant remember if i saw any difference in the guage when the car was running than before with the stock unit.

I got the stock replacement when I rebuilt my motor and I sit at about 1/2 at idle and just over 3/4 under load. I dont have an aftermarket gauge so take it for what its worth I guess.

I do wish I went with a different one but I wont get into that. 8)

I think with the BSE you will have plenty of oil pressure with the stock replacement. It has a good track record for giving the motor what it needs when in good operational state, i.e. new.

The STOCK turbo oil pump is "high volume" pump, that is compared to the NA one. The NA pump has less oil pressure than the turbo oil pump, hence "high volume." :wink:

The NA pump has less oil pressure than the turbo oil pump, hence "high volume."
Only if the low volume pump is on a pre1984 truck motor and that pump isn't available any longer is it?

the gears are what determines the oil flow and the relief valve dumps excess pressure above 3000rpms and they are both the same

the only difference in the two pumps is the hole in the backing plate to suck in the oil or the bottom of the front cover to suck in the oil and the oil in both ends up being drawn into the gears through the same curved molded passage but both have the output from the gears going out the same hole and feeding the engine the same way with the same pressures and flow rates

if you want to see pictures and more details from the manual pages go about 2/3 way down this page:

http://www.b2600turbo.com/Oil%20Pumps.htm

Someone should be making a new pickup tube so we can use the cheaper pump don't you think? The other one won't be available forever and there are many more n/a engines out there.

I have some new thin pump front covers and backing plates and a set of used thin gears I will add in later

i used a sealed power turbo pump and it gave great results (never below 3/4 on a stock gauge). Sealed power calls it high volume because its higher volume than a standard NA pump not that its more volume than a standard turbo pump.

I used it only because i (my dad) has long time friends at sealed power that hooked me up for very little.

I agree the stock pump is plenty good for any of us and most likely exactly the same as a new sealed power unit.

supposedly TEP claimed thiers had a larger gear than the turbo oem one for that 229 dollar pump they had. may or may not have been true but either way u dont need more flow they pump plenty good enough cus if u have clean oil holes to the bearings and clean squirters, etc. there should be no problems, and the best way for assuring all that is by driving your CAR lol people get these cars that sat for years and all and expect a perfect engine, most likely not for long lol. the oil holes are gum'd up etc. oil goops up in there, especially if it was a person that didnt change oil that reallt gunks an engine up then it sat, forget that motor its gonna be torn apart in a month or sooner.

i used a sealed power turbo pump and it gave great results (never below 3/4 on a stock gauge). Sealed power calls it high volume because its higher volume than a standard NA pump not that its more volume than a standard turbo pump.

I used it only because i (my dad) has long time friends at sealed power that hooked me up for very little.

I agree the stock pump is plenty good for any of us and most likely exactly the same as a new sealed power unit.

When I was a noob, I bought into the whole "high volume" oil pump claimed by TEP. Since I live so darn close to them and can literally ride my bicycle to theri shop, I decided to check it out in person.

I talked to their people, I got the "we don't have em in stock, but check back with us in a week or so", I kept getting that same story. After finding that their answers to my questions didn't pan out, I knew I was being bamboozled.

High volume :roll:

Stick with a stock turbo pump, more than enough.

• 1 month later...
Just listen to indiana, you will not find better information.

X2

Yes the guts are the same. I got both pumps. The gears are the same. Just that the turbo oil pump has an alloy front cover, with the pick-up on the bottom. I'm sure you can use the NA pump with the NA oil pick-up. But I'd rather not have my oil going through a hot engine like in the NA pump.

I must have a differant block than you. Mine is something like 8 or 10 inches. I'll measure it later today.

That's not going to make a difference on my car... and I doubt its going to be a big deal on a street car with the factory oil cooler either.